IGNORED

Reboot - A new Atari group is born!

promethea

Jaguar is tougher and more of a challenge to code for

Let's hope they can help dispel that particular myth about the Jaguar. Looks very promising. Good luck guys (and gal?)

It depends on that particular type of game you go for. If you only want to use the 68k a C code its quite simple to code

for. If you want to exploit the systems for what it can really do, then its not so simple. The RISC code is simple its the tools to do it

right. That was not so simple.

However, thanks to SubQMod, SMAC has made your statement reasonable, not perfect but reasonable.

It depends on that particular type of game you go for. If you only want to use the 68k a C code its quite simple to code

for. If you want to exploit the systems for what it can really do, then its not so simple. The RISC code is simple its the tools to do it

right. That was not so simple.

Let's just say I dont agree with that at all, and not go down that particular route again :)

*edited for misquote - we know how dangerous they can be!*

Edited by CyranoJ

I am using a Jaguar S-video cable right now but I will switch to a Catbox with good shielded S-video and audio cables.

Well, it could be any source of electrical interference if the cable is not that well-shielded. Maybe you have the video cable sitting next to a power supply, or there's a fan or other electric motor close by?

Try just unplugging the S-video cable and running around the other side of the TV, or placing the Jagaur close to the TV and then coiling up the excess cable length with a twist-tie...

Thank You for the additional suggestions as those lines are a detractor, I do have both my Jag PS's very close to the TV and the A/V cords, so I will try to get the PS farther away from the system-Thanks. :) I definitely have RF interference from something getting into the picture, probably. Tursi said he didn't notice any such lines on his Skunk, when I asked him about it and suggested to check the output of the PS for low voltages. How about your Skunk does it give a clean picture without lines?

How about your Skunk does it give a clean picture without lines?

Great - no problems at all. I run the Atari-brand AV cable and I never get those wavy lines, either with Skunkboard or with regular carts. My TV is a 27" Toshiba CRT, about 8 or 10 years old.

I also have a "MoreThanGames" SVideo cable shipping now; when I get that I will be sure to note if there is any difference.

Why Atari? Why not something more popular like the Nintendo Wii or the Super Nintendo Entertainment System? I mean third party companies make PS3 games, so you could try to make a retro based game with virtually no limitations.

But we like limitations! Thats where the fun is. Financially, theres little to no money to be made in making games for old systems. In my mind its fun to take old systems into new realms. Just look at 2600 homebrews. They are making the sytem go way beyond what was originally thought possible back in the day.

Yeah, I fully understand you. I'm reprogramming a game for the Super Nintendo.

Woods_2.bmp

Yeah, I fully understand you. I'm reprogramming a game for the Super Nintendo.

:rolling: Welcome to the Nintendo level known as the "cease and desist" if you continue using the graphics you've got in that game.

If you post future screen shots, remember that *.gif and *.jpg are much smaller files and can viewed without downloading a file.

For starters, we have a preview video of our upcoming Jaguar game. The footage was shot roughly 3 days into development, so we expect it to improve vastly

(especially when our artist gets to work on it!)

Why Atari? Why not something more popular like the Nintendo Wii or the Super Nintendo Entertainment System? I mean third party companies make PS3 games, so you could try to make a retro based game with virtually no limitations.

Err, are you sure you're on the right forum?

Anyway, to nail it down for you:

• Wii = C tools = sucks!
  • SNES = 6502 variant = ...well, not sucks for sure! But, it's been decades since we coded any 6502, and it's not atari, so verdict.... SUCK!
  • PS3 = huge limitations for homebrew (from what I've heard), plus it's bloody sony, and C tools = ULTRASUCK!

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, the list above describes the desire for me (and the rest of the guys) to write games on those specific platforms :)

P.S. Doesn't Jag own the snes anyway? ;)

First off, nice looking game thus far! Can't wait to play the finished product. Always loved Tapper! I also like the "Skunkboard only" approach, primarily cuz I actually have one. :cool:

I also have a "MoreThanGames" SVideo cable shipping now; when I get that I will be sure to note if there is any difference.

THANKS for mentioning this. I've recently been looking for an S-Video cable for the Jag and have had almost no luck. Only retailer I found mentioning it is GoAtari, and the only eBay auction in the past month just ended for $27.

I didn't know about MoreThanGames. So thanks again!

Cheers,

Smeg

Google "Morethangames" and you'll find them. It's a guy named Rick Detlefsen in Texas who makes a variety of hardware bits for various Atari systems. His price for a Jaguar cable that is both AV and SVideo is just $18 plus shipping:

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/prodgame/advert-g4.htm

Several people here in the forum have praised the cables and said that they are a quality item.

:rolling: Welcome to the Nintendo level known as the "cease and desist" if you continue using the graphics you've got in that game.

What do you mean? It's a 16-bit graphic game & I think I chose the pallets well.

If you post future screen shots, remember that *.gif and *.jpg are much smaller files and can viewed without downloading a file.

Yeah, but unfortunately I couldn't be arsed.

What do you mean? It's a 16-bit graphic game & I think I chose the pallets well.

The sprites are ripped from Nintendo copyrighted games. They aren't going to like that one bit if you release ROMs or carts. Get somebody to design some unique sprites for your game instead.

Yeah, but unfortunately I couldn't be arsed.

If the rest of us can be arsed, so can you!! Its called being polite!

Meaning, Nintendo wouldnt be happy and would send you a "cease and desist" order.

The sprites are ripped from Nintendo copyrighted games. They aren't going to like that one bit if you release ROMs or carts. Get somebody to design some unique sprites for your game instead.

I haven't touched the graphics because I'm still learning how to do it.

If the rest of us can be arsed, so can you!! Its called being polite!

I guess so, sorry for wasting your bandwidth.

Meaning, Nintendo wouldnt be happy and would send you a "cease and desist" order.

If they whine about me using there game engine (which is all that will be left of the original game) then I well reply with a "make me". :)

Then draw them by yourself. Its called placeholder graphics or programmer art :lol:. It doesn't matter that your main character is a blob (for example) and fights with triangles while you make the game. What matters is respecting other peoples work and not bastardising it into something else.

To be honest though, I was very pushed for time during my situation.

Then wait until your situation gives you more time. We all get pushed for time. That doesn't stop us from "doing the right thing".

If they whine about me using there game engine (which is all that will be left of the original game) then I well reply with a "make me". :)

They surely will! Or at least they'll make your parents "make you" :lolblue:. So you'll be using Nintendo's game engine and their graphics? Thats not you reprogramming a game. Thats you hacking a game. If you want to impress people with your skills, then do all the game by yourself from scratch. You'll learn much more and probably have more fun.

Then draw them by yourself. Its called placeholder graphics or programmer art :lol:. It doesn't matter that your main character is a blob (for example) and fights with triangles while you make the game. What matters is respecting other peoples work and not bastardising it into something else.

I don't think you understand exactly what you have to do to edit game graphics but I wasn't planning on having any Nintendo drawn art.

Then wait until your situation gives you more time. We all get pushed for time. That doesn't stop us from "doing the right thing".

It was just a click.

They surely will! Or at least they'll make your parents "make you" :lolblue:. So you'll be using Nintendo's game engine and their graphics? Thats not you reprogramming a game. Thats you hacking a game. If you want to impress people with your skills, then do all the game by yourself from scratch. You'll learn much more and probably have more fun.

I can't do it from scratch, I'm not a professional programmer. I am however editing the engine slightly and hacking the game. I am changing the physics too. I get more support with the Super Mario World hacks from another website.

I don't tell you everything about what I'm referring to in one post.

I don't think you understand exactly what you have to do to edit game graphics but I wasn't planning on having any Nintendo drawn art.

:lolblue: Errrr! I think I do. Have you seen the 2 demo games I've done for the 7800? Or the screenshots from the 3rd? Have a look in the homebrew section of the forum.

I can't do it from scratch, I'm not a professional programmer. I am however editing the engine slightly and hacking the game. I am changing the physics too. I get more support with the Super Mario World hacks from another website.

Yes, you can start from scratch. Thats where everybody starts from when they start learning new skills. You don't have to be a professional programmer to write games. You just need the ability to learn and solve problems. If assembler is too much for you then move over to another language like BASIC (practice writing simple games on a PC) . You'll get much more respect around here by writing your own game code (no matter how simple the game) and not ripping off other peoples hard work. Just ask questions in the programmers forum. Its not hard! You just have to be determined to get the job done.

You just have to be determined to get the job done.

I have spent 2 years on this project, I am planning to spend another 3 years on it.

On a hack of an existing game?

Yeah, I am remaking everything alone. A lot of people make shorts or collaborate to make longer ones, I'm just doing this as a hobby. Super Mario World has been my favourite game, I've played on it since I could hold a SNES controller. My dream was for there to be a way of editing it, since I was 4 I dreamed about making my own version & now thanks to ROMs & programs I can edit this game. So I don't care if it's not my original game.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

Sorry for taking so long to post but there was a technical snag with my account here (Thanks Al for sorting it out!)

As Promethea has said in the reboot thread on the atari forum here (why are people posting about Jaguar stuff there, and SNES stuff here?) - we have a few goals for ourselves.

Firstly, we intend to deliver finsihed code. If we start something, we will do our best to get it into a releasable shape and out for you guys to enjoy. Secondly we will at some point following any release put all the source code and graphics/audio assets online for everyone to look at and hopefully make use of in future releases. And finally, everything will be free. We may make a limited CD/Cart run in order to generate cash for more development kit (another skunkboard would be handy, and a few more NTSC Jaguars) but thats as far as revenue will go.

Now, down to details. What's going on?

Promethea has taken over control of the Tapperesque project in order to learn his way around the Jaguar. I left him with a fully playable game and some source code that is about 80% commented, so he should be fine with that. Tapperesque runs entirely on the 68000, so it's a perfect stepping stone to Jaguar Land for him.

kZa is busy painting pixels for my current project. I don't want to say too much right now, except that the game engine is running almost entirely on the GPU at a full 50fps. The 68k is acting as a sequencer for the GPU routines, and reading the joypad (what it was designed for) - we hope to have a demonstration video up in the near future for this, but until then you'll just have to wait. I hope you'll all like it.

We also have three people joining us for testing purposes. ChrisTOS (from STOT), HeavyStylus (from RGCD) and RemoWilliams (Our handy NTSC testing machine!) - Thanks to those guys for their patience.

And finally, a big *thank you* to the D-Bug team for their help, not only with getting us off the ground with webspace, but also for assistance with getting to grips with this exciting "new" console.

--------------------

What do YOU want?