HiassofT

I just uploaded version 1.20 of my Highspeed SIO patch to my website:

http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

Changes since the last official release (V1.12):

- Support transfer speeds up to 126kbit/sec

- SHIFT+RESET does a coldstart

- Speedup highspeed mode detection

- Support creation of a patched 400/800 OS on the PC

Note: if programmed an EPROM with the latest development version (V1.18 from May 3rd, 2009) you don't need to update it - the binary code of V1.20 is identical to V1.18 (except for the timestamp and version info).

so long,

Hias

Does this disable the self-test mode. I had not noticed before on other versions, but today after installing hisior.com going to basic and typing 'BYE' the screen flashes 'OS already patched' then reboots. From the Dos menu option 'M' E471 also flashed notice on screen and reboots.

Will this happen also with patchrom.exe and putting a new EPROM into my Atari.

TIA

Does this disable the self-test mode. I had not noticed before on other versions, but today after installing hisior.com going to basic and typing 'BYE' the screen flashes 'OS already patched' then reboots. From the Dos menu option 'M' E471 also flashed notice on screen and reboots.

Will this happen also with patchrom.exe and putting a new EPROM into my Atari.

This is just a "feature" of the software patch. When you type "BYE", the XL/XE OS enables coldstart on RESET, enables selftest ROM at $5000 and then does a JMP $5000. But, since the OS ROM is disabled the MMU will ignore the selftest bit in PortB and won't enable ROM at $5000. So "BYE" just starts any code currently present in RAM at $5000.

If you install an EPROM in your Atari "BYE" works as usual.

so long,

Hias

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Hias-

I am using your release (1.20) patch HISIO.COM with MyDos 4.50. If I launch HISIO.COM from the MyDos menu, all is well, but it will not execute properly when loaded as part of the usual AUTORUN.SYS file (i.e. ramdisk setup). I tried appending it to the MyDos AUTORUN.SYS file and vice-versa. Do you know why it behaves as such?

Edit: I should add that I am using the XL/XE OS on a "stock" 130XE with the KMK-JZ interface.

Thanks,

Larry

I just uploaded version 1.20 of my Highspeed SIO patch to my website:

http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

Changes since the last official release (V1.12):

- Support transfer speeds up to 126kbit/sec

- SHIFT+RESET does a coldstart

- Speedup highspeed mode detection

- Support creation of a patched 400/800 OS on the PC

Note: if programmed an EPROM with the latest development version (V1.18 from May 3rd, 2009) you don't need to update it - the binary code of V1.20 is identical to V1.18 (except for the timestamp and version info).

so long,

Hias

Edited by Larry

Hi Larry!

I am using your release (1.20) patch HISIO.COM with MyDos 4.50. If I launch HISIO.COM from the MyDos menu, all is well, but it will not execute properly when loaded as part of the usual AUTORUN.SYS file (i.e. ramdisk setup). I tried appending it to the MyDos AUTORUN.SYS file and vice-versa. Do you know why it behaves as such?

Edit: I should add that I am using the XL/XE OS on a "stock" 130XE with the KMK-JZ interface.

Appending multiple COMs into an AUTORUN.SYS is not a good idea. But MyDos supports multiple autorun files: just name them "AUTORUN.AR0", "AUTORUN.AR1" etc.

I did a quick test (renamed HISIO.COM into AUTORUN.AR0) and it worked fine.

so long,

Hias

Hi Mathy & Hias-

I normally use 4.50, but 4.5X should be fine. I'll give those a try!

Mathy, where is 4.55 -- your site?

Thanks,

Larry

Hello Hias

MyDOS 4.50 doesn't support .ARx. MyDOS 4.51/3 and all later versions do. (4.51/3 and 4.52/3 where never released as far as I know. 4.55 beta 3 is out, but it's a beta.)

greetings

Mathy

Edited by Larry

Hello Larry

It's on my Atari and I don't have a way to get it on my Mac (yet). Maybe Andreas Koche (Charlie Chaplin) can get you 4.55 beta 3.

greetings

Mathy (who already has 4.55 beta 4 but who hasn't really fired his Atari 8 bit computer up in ages)

Hi Mathy-

Thanks for the info. I also was looking at the other 4.5X versions of MyDos at your site and in my stuff, and found that 4.53/4 and noticed that it contains only Dos and Dup. Do you know/have you tried the regular or modified ramdisks with it? Gotta have my ramdisk.

-Larry

Hello Larry

It's on my Atari and I don't have a way to get it on my Mac (yet). Maybe Andreas Koche (Charlie Chaplin) can get you 4.55 beta 3.

greetings

Mathy (who already has 4.55 beta 4 but who hasn't really fired his Atari 8 bit computer up in ages)

Hello Larry

It's been a while since I used 4.53. I mostly used the /3 version and almost never used the /4 version. 4.55 btw doesn't need a /3 or /4 version, since you can choose between the minimum 3 byte sector count and the minimum 4 byte sector count from within 4.55. Option "O".

I don't remember if MyRD(2) solves the errors resulting from a "bug" in the routine that determines which RAMbanks are available. (Actually, the detection is correct, but after that, some bits are flipped, which results in errors when using 1MB RAM extentions. That's also why there is a patched version of MyDOS for the Newell 1MB RAM extention) Maybe the bug was solved in 4.55 itself.

MyRD2 has the advantage, that it checks the size of your RAM extention, BEFORE the RAMdisk is formatted and files (in the subdirectory called RAMDISK:) are copied to it.

greetings

Mathy

[edit: 4.55 works with my 1MB RAM extention as well as the Newell 1MB extention. And probably all other RAM extentions that use the same address ($d301) as the 130XE. If memory serves me will, it even runs with AXLON compatible RAM extentions.]

Edited by Mathy

Any ROM code for 400/800 systems?

This is tricky, but possible with some hardware modifications:

Using patchrom on the PC you can create a patched rev.A or rev.B OS on the PC. I successfully installed it in my 800XL.

BUT: The patch needs 1k of ROM at $CC00-$CFFF, which is not available on the 400/800 computers. So you need some HW mod to your 400/800 to support ROM at $Cxxx. I'm not a 400/800 expert, maybe someone else can help you here. IIRC such mods have been done before, didn't the Omnimon OS use $Cxxx for it's monitor code?

so long,

Hias