IGNORED

Q: 1200XL computer & 1050 DD

save2600

Hi all,

Thought I'd get back into the 8-bit swing of things since I just got a pretty decent deal for the aforementioned

Atari goodies. Might need power supplies (can anyone verify exactly what they should be please?) and definitely

need the disk drives data cable and software on_the_cheap. Carts and disks. Could also use the manual/users

guide to the 1200XL as I'm rusty as hell and a book for the 1050 also.

Multi-carts seem to be floating around, but if anyone has a package deal of software to get me started, that

would be great. Also, do many of you have the flash carts so you can burn your own games to a mass media

storage something or other? I'm thinking I'd like one of those too.

If there is an 8-bit Guru of sorts, I'd love to hear from you!

Edited by save2600

Hi all, please disregard the above post. After some testing and mild frustration...

Wondering what a cosmetically mint, non-yellowed, non-dinged 1200XL and a 1050 DD are worth these days. Neither have their correct power supplies, but the ones I do have, work; the plugs are just the wrong size. They output the correct A/C voltage & amps (or near enough). Pics available for serious buyers. Was thinking about getting back into the 8-bit scene, but I know the 1200 needs a new keyboard (just the membrane part is bad). I'm sure those can be had for only $xx and Best Electronics have already been contacted, but I dunno if I am going to make the time or room for another system in the house. Keyboard does work, just some of the keys do not unless you press REAL hard. Anywho... wondering if anyone here would like to take a stab at a decent offer or if I should just go to ePay with these. Or maybe just keep the system, replace the power supplies and keyboard (need a data cable for the DD too) and get a ton of software for it. If you can help with the latter scenario, I'd entertain dumping more moola into it; otherwise make a cash or trade offer. Only stuff I'd be interested in might be a 1040ST or Amiga goodies...

The 1200 has its original styrofoam packing (not the outer box) and the 1050 has its styrofoam and its box, torn but taped.

Edited by save2600

Sounds like the keyboard is not too bad, check out this link for some info how to fix dodgy keyboards.

8bit computers have a great catalog of software, and well worth making the space for if you can.

If you decide to keep it, check out atarimax.com buy an sio2pc interface and use your PC as a big HDD for your Atari, they also sell the maxflash multicarts which are fantastic to make your own multicarts.

Best to put any wants in the marketplace, pretty sure you will get a better response there

Sounds like the keyboard is not too bad, check out this link for some info how to fix dodgy keyboards.

8bit computers have a great catalog of software, and well worth making the space for if you can.

If you decide to keep it, check out atarimax.com buy an sio2pc interface and use your PC as a big HDD for your Atari, they also sell the maxflash multicarts which are fantastic to make your own multicarts.

Best to put any wants in the marketplace, pretty sure you will get a better response there

Because of that keyboard linky - I managed to get her going 100%, so thank you Mimo! Not sure I'm going to keep her, but was kinda thinking it would be nice to keep an 8-bit computer around for stuff like Pinball Construction Set, Montezuma's Revenge, Conan, etc. If the 1200's are that much more desirable than say an 800 or a 400, I'd be up for a possible trade. I'd really like to get an "instant collection" of games so to speak, so maybe the 1200XL for an 800 + a ton of software? Before I start to hunt things down one by one, would anyone be up for anything like that?

Looking into the ST again, I've realised most of the games were ported to the Amiga - which I have a few of ;-) So, think I'll stick with an 8-bit for a while. Thanks again for the advice and tips. If I get no other responses here, I'll check out the marketplace forum.

Oh - and I'd LOVE to monkey around with that multi-cart SIO deal, but I do not own a PeeCee and am going to keep it that way :-) Mac and Amiga's over here. Perhaps I could pay someone to load one of those puppies up for me...

Edited by save2600

Because of that keyboard linky - I managed to get her going 100%, so thank you Mimo! Not sure I'm going to keep her, but was kinda thinking it would be nice to keep an 8-bit computer around for stuff like Pinball Construction Set, Montezuma's Revenge, Conan, etc. If the 1200's are that much more desirable than say an 800 or a 400, I'd be up for a possible trade. I'd really like to get an "instant collection" of games so to speak, so maybe the 1200XL for an 800 + a ton of software? Before I start to hunt things down one by one, would anyone be up for anything like that?

Looking into the ST again, I've realised most of the games were ported to the Amiga - which I have a few of ;-) So, think I'll stick with an 8-bit for a while. Thanks again for the advice and tips. If I get no other responses here, I'll check out the marketplace forum.

Oh - and I'd LOVE to monkey around with that multi-cart SIO deal, but I do not own a PeeCee and am going to keep it that way :-) Mac and Amiga's over here. Perhaps I could pay someone to load one of those puppies up for me...

Right now, on the Mac you can use SIO2OSX to connect your Atari to a Mac OS X box. It does a nice job, but it's shareware. You can try it for 5 minutes at a time to see if it's what you want.

Also, we're working on a freeware SIO application for Mac OS X and Linux. The development version is working, but it's not ready for general release just yet.

With the SIO2PC USB and the proper program for MAC, you use your MAC as virtual disk drives for the Atari. You attach disk images (ATR) to the virtual drive and turn your Atari on. It loads as if a real drive is attached. The MaxFlash cartridge allows you to load cartridge BIN files and play them just like the original cartridge.

Thanks guys. So if I'm reading the Atarimax site correctly, if I purchase an SIO2PC USB adapter and an 8MBit flash cartridge, I'd be able to 'burn' my own multi-cartridge using .bin & .atr files?

With the SIO2PC USB and the proper program for MAC, you use your MAC as virtual disk drives for the Atari. You attach disk images (ATR) to the virtual drive and turn your Atari on. It loads as if a real drive is attached. The MaxFlash cartridge allows you to load cartridge BIN files and play them just like the original cartridge.

Thanks guys. So if I'm reading the Atarimax site correctly, if I purchase an SIO2PC USB adapter and an 8MBit flash cartridge, I'd be able to 'burn' my own multi-cartridge using .bin & .atr files?

If you use makemenu with the maxflash cart you can also loadup .atr and .xex files. Not sure it works with OSX though