IGNORED

1+1+1 Screens to get more colours

Programs like SIFE and others do the combinations between Antic4 screens. With this you get 4 colours on eachone and the paper colour.

I think that the best way to reduce flickering is to put the same paper in all of the screens, isn´t it?

The SIFE program, for example, it's like old programs, you create a character, then you have to join them to create an object, and so on. On the final you put

all the objects on screen. And here it is, a screen game, for example. But there is any program, like g2f that I can take various screens of a game map from other computer, and create screen by screen in this system of more than 1 screen to get aditional colours. Do you imagine how it will be cut all the screen of Last Ninja in thousand of pieces to get single characters?

And anyone knows if it's possible to have 1screen Gr.8, and then interrupt with Antic4 2 or 3 screens. This is because I have the idea to get the software sprites in Hi-res and do the cobination with player missiles, do the movements of them and finally interrupt them with the Antic4 screens to get the playfield colours.

I think that this will not have interference with any of PF1 colours on Antic4 screens (Hi-res. modes uses text in PF1, 709). What this will do in PF1 colours on Antic 4 screens?

This is because I have all the screen maps from Last Ninja I/II, see all the sprites, designe some of the sprites shapes, I know all the diferent priorities and collisions, and how to do them on our Atari (I even have a new idea to do on Atari version). But all of this without the sprites in Hi-resolution. They will be 2 Multicoloured sprire for enemys and software sprites for the Ninja and weapons.

But I never give up of having the Ninja/enemys and weaponary in Hi-Resolution. So, I spent this last weekend study this and I can say to you that I can mix the sprites and the Hi-Resol. software sprites and also get the priorities and collisions. How? Simple, I think. The players and missiles as I read in some place,

don't have nothing to do with the various screens interrupt, they are in all. So, I can create them, join them, and do the movement (Joystick and computer enemy's), touch the objects to pick them. I think that the only thing I cannot do is the movement on Antic4 screen, because if this happens the sprites from Hi-Resol. PF1 wil turn into 3 flicker low resolutional in the 3 Antic4 screens. Someone knows if this low and Hi-resol. screens be possibal and what interference will have with the speed of the program/game and also the colours (flicker) and if I put the Black in pf1 Hi-Resol. screen thn Antic 4 could be other PF1s colours?

Anyone know some program,demos or know how and can show or do this for me?

And a last thing. This change between screens is also possible in scrolling games? I Think I understand that Sheddy do that in is Space Harrier conversion to get aditional colours!...

Sorry for so many mails today. I'm not the only one here, but I have this free day.

Many thanks to you all.

Very important notification: Gracias a ATARIWARE por lo Mail. Non hablo espanol, que tal Muito Obrigado em português. Nosotros/Nós nos entendemos.

Um abraço.

José Pereira.

You can alternate between 2 screens but it generates too much flicker.

I'll probably try something like that in interlaced mode but I think it would be the same case.

You can mix something like Gr. 8 and Gr. 15 on a per scanline basis. You could even go one step further and alternate screens so each field would be:

FIELD 1

Gr. 8

Gr. 15

Gr. 8

Gr. 15

etc

FIELD 2

Gr. 15

Gr. 8

Gr. 15

Gr. 8

etc

But even in that case you'd still get some flickering.

See the mockups below

The 1st one is using approx. 8 DLIs. The 2nd one was a fun pic for some impression ;)

At least we could have a very good Speccy clone. And, if trying to do midline graphicsmode changes, it could get superior even to the C64 version (and even not worse with the soundtrack ;) )

post-2756-1243320710_thumb.png

post-2756-1243320814_thumb.png

Thanks for your help.

For the first mail can you explain me better the changes beetwen screens (sometimes you can not translate directly the meaning of a word - what you understand as field?). And you change 1 screen gr.8 then other 15 and so on. But to get more colours, I need 1 or 2 more screen gr.15 (Is this the idea behind creating field 1 and 2?).The best way is to change:

gr.8/15/8/15/8/15(3screen gr.15 - 9 colours) or 8/15/15/15?

On the second mail, I must say I was impressed, very impressed. But, can you explain better what you have done? Where are the 8DLIS on screen1? How do you get the yellow on the lamps and is it possible to create more colours on more objects? How do you get so many colours on the status screen and the Ninja's Face? Is it possible to add another colour to Enemy clothe like they do on c64? Do you use any hardware sprites?

My idea is that I can do the collision and priorities using combinations beetwen players, missiles and/or playfields. In Hi-Resol. I only have one screen graphic Pf, so how will I do that? (How they do that, for example in Spectrum or Amstrad versions of Last Ninja II?)

And at the end you said about being better than c64(with midline graphic change modes), how you do it?

What program you use to get this screens (from c64 and change to Atari)? Can you explain more about the possibities of

the programs and other screen possibilities?

Sorry for so many questions, but I never saw any Atari screens on Hi-Resol. with so many colours. It could be a new begining to Atari screen design, if you can explain better to me and I think, to many more around there? A stupendous, enormous, spectacular,... work!... Why don't you send more examples (other games, title screens,etc...) using this technics?

"God bless you all"!...

José Pereira.

Hello. Here I am again.

I spent all day thinking about this topic. I spent more than two hours reading all the instructions from g2f.

See many more times screens and videos from Last Ninja c64 version (even an NES)...

That technic of Hi-Resol. for a game like Last Ninja I think that would not give the game's feeling (and the problem of collisions and priorities).

The major performance of C64 it's the colours. The only way of doing a good port/conversion is creating colourful screens.

In what I have in mind, and with all the the sprites design, with cooperation between Players, missiles and playfields to have the priorities/collisions the only way

it's using G2f with GED or GED by itself. The idea will be creating some screens with the changes in the lines to get more colours. In this part I will not use sprites

because I need them for the game.

But, If I can find some way of put the Ninja/Enemy/weapons in Hi-resol. with sprites on it on colourful screens I will be happy... If not I create them in the normal Player/Missiles way. One method or the other will be the same in the colision/priority registers (Hi-Resol. software sprite+(Players+Missiles-for eyes,hands,foot or some clothes)=Player/Missiles only).

I saw in g2f the idea between changes in pf1/pf2 and sprites with brightness, is it the way to create that 2 Last Ninja screens?

But that screens are wonderful, I think, for example in games like Molecule Man, Amaroute, Head over Heels or ULTIMATE game ports.

Someone wants to do something on this games? Even a few screens show?

Obrigado(Português), Gracias(Espanol), Thanks (English), Merci(Francais), Origato (Japanese). Anyone know in any other language?

Bye.

José Pereira.