IGNORED

So, what do Cuttle Cart 2's go for these days? :)

Murph74

I'm thinking I got a pretty fair deal here... Definitely expected it to go higher than I was willing pay!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 250428526909

Anyone got ready-to-go images for these to share? :) I saw some of you talking about updating the files recently, didn't see if it happened. :)

Thanks!

Murph

That was a good deal. And absolutely first thing, get an RS-MMC card. ;)

Ok, so I see a RS-MMC card seems to be a recurring theme. :) I'm not very familiar with these things, but I did see Ebay was recommended as a good source for them-- particular capacity? Would like to get the full library running with manuals, sans Pitfall II. :)

This may just give me the motivation to Vid Mod one of the 7800's. :)

Edited by Murph74

That was a good deal. And absolutely first thing, get an RS-MMC card. ;)

Ok, so I see a RS-MMC card seems to be a recurring theme. :) I'm not very familiar with these things, but I did see Ebay was recommended as a good source for them-- particular capacity? Would like to get the full library running with manuals, sans Pitfall II. :)

$5 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/PQI-256MB-RS-MMC-Multi...1QQcmdZViewItem

The CC2 is the reason I put a composite mod into my 7800. The RS-MMC is due to the socket being only held by the solder. If you have a regular MMC where the end stick out of the cart, it will easily get broken. CC2 really rocks when there is current development like Super Pacman and Pacman Jr. You get to test the game as it is being developed.

I sold mine (with a loaded MMC, POKEY and 7800 system) for $350 shipped, Work is slow and I needed the cash :) The purchaser declined the 7800 system but paid the same price so I upgraded to EMS shipping (out of the country, UK), the end result was $317.50 for me after shipping. At this price it sold within 15 min with multiple people asking so I would say it's worth more than that :) I paid around $365 shipped for it maybe 6 months ago :)

CC2 in hand already (this guys was hella quick on the shipping!), awaiting a RS-MMC card!

Does it have a PoKey chip? You will need it to enjoy some 7800 games that have Pokey sound.

I don't *think* so, but how could i tell for sure? The cart looks to be untouched in it's original pink bubble baggie, even has the high score cart notice with it. The seller said he never used it as he never got around to buying a 7800, and that appears to be true from what I'm seeing.

I'll email the seller and ask him, but I'm thinking No, and not even sure if it's worth it to add sound for 3 games (that I'm aware of), or how much trouble it would be to do it.

I don't *think* so, but how could i tell for sure? The cart looks to be untouched in it's original pink bubble baggie, even has the high score cart notice with it. The seller said he never used it as he never got around to buying a 7800, and that appears to be true from what I'm seeing.

I'll email the seller and ask him, but I'm thinking No, and not even sure if it's worth it to add sound for 3 games (that I'm aware of), or how much trouble it would be to do it.

Open the cart and look on the PCB for a 40pin chip. The cart should be easy to open. I just press the side edges together on one of the halves of the cartridge. It should be easy to identify which side to press. Use enough force to open but not enough force to break anything. If all you have is an empty socket, you do not have the PoKey chip. It can be gotten from various Arcade/Atari vendors for under $10 or you can pull it from a Ballblazer/Commando carts or 5200/Atari 8bit systems.

http://www.schells.com/cc2.shtml

The PCB should look like the one on Chad's website.

You really only need it for a few 7800 games. Ballblazer and Commando were released games. I believe Beef Drop uses it, but it is optional since Ken also coded it with TIA sound. I do not play most of the Pokey sound games anyway and you probably will not miss not having it. The games will work without the chip, but just some or all of the sound will be missing.

Edited by Almost Rice

Open the cart and look on the PCB for a 40pin chip. The cart should be easy to open. I just press the side edges together on one of the halves of the cartridge. It should be easy to identify which side to press. Use enough force to open but not enough force to break anything. If all you have is an empty socket, you do not have the PoKey chip. It can be gotten from various Arcade/Atari vendors for under $10 or you can pull it from a Ballblazer/Commando carts or 5200/Atari 8bit systems.

http://www.schells.com/cc2.shtml

The PCB should look like the one on Chad's website.

You really only need it for a few 7800 games. Ballblazer and Commando were released games. I believe Beef Drop uses it, but it is optional since Ken also coded it with TIA sound. I do not play most of the Pokey sound games anyway and you probably will not miss not having it. The games will work without the chip, but just some or all of the sound will be missing.

No chip inside-- and looks like I 'only' broke one of the six tabs finding that out! The cart is #154 I'm guessing by the marker written number inside both halves of the shell. Grabbed a Ballblazer today from Tradengames for $2-- nice to have a collector/source such as Jason just a mile or two away! :)

Awaiting my RS-MMC card and we're off to the races! :) Thanks for all the help/input/assistance everyone! :)

Man this sucks... lol

CC2... CHECK!

7800... CHECK!

Files for CC2... CHECK!

POKEY chip installed... CHECK!

RS-MMC card bought 8 days ago with BIN on Ebay from a seller who claims to ship first class USPS within 48 hours of payment... Crap!

Still waiting on the MMC card... *sniff* Mallard88 is causing me some serious anxiety waiting for this MMC card! lol Still not here, after paying n the 27th. His feedback still looks solid, but I'll be floored if this card gets here and it's actually first class with a May postmark!

Damn you, slow ebay seller! lol

Why did they stop making CC2? Clearly people are still interested.

There is no 'they' - there is Chad Schell, one man who designed and built them. So in short, to make these things:

- they have to be made in fairly large batches to be even remotely feasible

- the design is aged now, and parts availability is an issue from troublesome to show stopper range

- they are quite complex and expensive (in time and money) to manufacture

- because of ^ above, Chad has to be willing to sink a large amount of money up front into production, with no guarantee of if/when it will be made back

- last batch Chad made he had trouble unloading the last of them and had to cut prices to sell off the last of his inventory

Put that all together, and you can see why.

Why did they stop making CC2? Clearly people are still interested.

There is no 'they' - there is Chad Schell, one man who designed and built them. So in short, to make these things:

- they have to be made in fairly large batches to be even remotely feasible

- the design is aged now, and parts availability is an issue from troublesome to show stopper range

- they are quite complex and expensive (in time and money) to manufacture

- because of ^ above, Chad has to be willing to sink a large amount of money up front into production, with no guarantee of if/when it will be made back

- last batch Chad made he had trouble unloading the last of them and had to cut prices to sell off the last of his inventory

Put that all together, and you can see why.

Not to mention the apparently forthcoming USB 2600 cart... I'd be hard pressed to make another run too, if I were in Chad's position. Hate to think he cut prices on them, given enough time I think he would have found buyers. Oh well, still a great concept! Can't wait to play mine! lol

Not to mention the apparently forthcoming USB 2600 cart...

You'd still need a CC2 if you want to play 7800 games ....

True, but I think the compatibility with 2600 games on the CC2 was a HUGE selling point for it. The 7800 library is great too, but I got it *mainly* for the 2600 compatibility.

Woo Hoo! The MMC card came today! Postal label printed 6/1. 7 Days from California seems very unlikely for first class mail, but anything is possible I guess. Point is, it's here! Will likely play with it Tuesday as I've gotta work tonight. Thanks for all the help, info and updates, people!

I'm sure I'll be back on this thread this week with my thoughts. :)

Woo Hoo! The MMC card came today! Postal label printed 6/1. 7 Days from California seems very unlikely for first class mail, but anything is possible I guess. Point is, it's here! Will likely play with it Tuesday as I've gotta work tonight. Thanks for all the help, info and updates, people!

I'm sure I'll be back on this thread this week with my thoughts. :)

Hmm, what are people using for controllers on the 7800? I've got a pair of the NES style atari control pads, but they kind of suck IMO. Other options?

I may have a flakey 7800 here too-- For example, in Choplifter! I'm always firing even if I remove the controller from the port while the chopper is in midair. And I can't jump in Rampage... Any suggestions?

as expected, the CuttleCart is awesome, even on RF! lol

I may have a flakey 7800 here too-- For example, in Choplifter! I'm always firing even if I remove the controller from the port while the chopper is in midair. And I can't jump in Rampage... Any suggestions?

Does it happen for the second player/joystick port as well or only the first player?

Mitch