IGNORED

$800 Pepsi repro(?) - I can't believe this!

Really what is it that bothers people so much about something like this?

Deception.

Do you really think the people buying repos for more than $20 are seasoned collectors who really think they are buying rare valuable games?

I always thought they were bought by people who just wanted to play the game and didn't care what they paid.

Now if it is made to look legit then yes it is a problem but if it comes with a label when the real one doesn't even have a label then I see no harm.

Newbie collectors don't know what a real one looks like, it's obvious, otherwise the recent Pepsi repro would not have sold for close to $100. :roll:

Or they just don't care it is a repo.

Right. :roll:

I can tell you this, if it was me or Shawn Sr. who would have listed a Pepsi repro like this without mentioning that it was a repro, there would be outrage. Hozer gets of course defended, even after what he did and is still doing to homebrew / hack developers. Whatever. whatever.gif

Isn't there another cause somewhere out there that might provide a larger sense of purpose? protest an abortion clinic, protest the pro-life headquarters etc.....

i'm waiting for abortion doctor to come out on cart. :ponder:

Rick

2 player game where player 1 performs as many abortions as quickly possible while player 2 has to avoid police and bomb the clinic.

SWEET!! i'll pay more then $20 for that one. :twisted:

Rick

While the abortion game costs about 100 bucks the special edition partial abortion cart will cost an arm and a leg.

I can tell you this, if it was me or Shawn Sr. who would have listed a Pepsi repro like this without mentioning that it was a repro, there would be outrage. Hozer gets of course defended, even after what he did and is still doing to homebrew / hack developers. Whatever. whatever.gif

I know they would and that is my whole point. There shouldn't be an outrage when anyone does it. Not unless someone cranks out ROMs should anyone care. There was a limited edition repo produced which was produced as well. Why are some repos ok and not others?

In the end a newbie could be burned but you can't worry about everyone. A newbie could overpay on Music Machine because it is listed as an R10. If a resonable person who does the smallest bit of research isn't fooled then who cares.

Really what is it that bothers people so much about something like this?

Deception.

Do you really think the people buying repos for more than $20 are seasoned collectors who really think they are buying rare valuable games?

I always thought they were bought by people who just wanted to play the game and didn't care what they paid.

Now if it is made to look legit then yes it is a problem but if it comes with a label when the real one doesn't even have a label then I see no harm.

Newbie collectors don't know what a real one looks like, it's obvious, otherwise the recent Pepsi repro would not have sold for close to $100. :roll:

Or they just don't care it is a repo.

Right. :roll:

I can tell you this, if it was me or Shawn Sr. who would have listed a Pepsi repo like this without mentioning that it was a repo, there would be outrage. Hozer gets of course defended, even after what he did and is still doing to homebrew / hack developers. Whatever. whatever.gif

I notice how you don't correct BuyAtari when he uses the word repo. What's up with that? :ponder:

Edited by homerwannabee

I know they would and that is my whole point. There shouldn't be an outrage when anyone does it. Not unless someone cranks out ROMs should anyone care. There was a limited edition repo produced which was produced as well. Why are some repos ok and not others?

In the end a newbie could be burned but you can't worry about everyone. A newbie could overpay on Music Machine because it is listed as an R10. If a resonable person who does the smallest bit of research isn't fooled then who cares.

I hate seeing people getting burned, regardless of whether they are newbies or long term collectors. I think anyone is susceptible to deception. I think more so than just the irritation that a fellow collector is being ripped off, is the irritation I have with the seller who is taking advantage of us collectors. Newbie or not. It happens in all sorts of ways Bait & switch, empty packages, poor pictures/camera angles, fake descriptions, PAL games being listed as NTSC etc etc..

I think with Randy, not getting into the whole royalty issue, his repos are often listed with too little info, as to not shed any light onto what it is that he's selling. He'd rather the bidder do the research, and let it be on them to make a guess as to the value. But really I think it's just my own personal feelings on the subject, and I don't like to see him making money on this hobby, after what he did and still does to these homebrew authors.

I hate seeing people getting burned, regardless of whether they are newbies or long term collectors. I think anyone is susceptible to deception. I think more so than just the irritation that a fellow collector is being ripped off, is the irritation I have with the seller who is taking advantage of us collectors. Newbie or not. It happens in all sorts of ways Bait & switch, empty packages, poor pictures/camera angles, fake descriptions, PAL games being listed as NTSC etc etc..

I think with Randy, not getting into the whole royalty issue, his repos are often listed with too little info, as to not shed any light onto what it is that he's selling. He'd rather the bidder do the research, and let it be on them to make a guess as to the value. But really I think it's just my own personal feelings on the subject, and I don't like to see him making money on this hobby, after what he did and still does to these homebrew authors.

I have bought a few repRos and homebrews in the past but I am far from a collector of these things. However, I am aware of Randy and how people feel about him. Perhaps if he sells Coke Wins for 100 a pop he won't waste his time with selling copies of homebrews. Plus think of all the new Randy haters you will be collecting for the army !!

lol

Don't read too much into that. I really don't care if making these things is "in or out' I was just curious why people would spend so much time and energy worring about it.

I notice how you don't correct BuyAtari when he uses the word repo. What's up with that? :ponder:

You should of.

Yes, I should have. :rolling:

You know it would of been funnier if you I actually said that in the previous post. I wonder how many rolling emoticons that would have garnered.

It is ALWAYS funny because you take yourself way too serious.

People worry because not only do innocent individuals often lose money but also in the case of homebrews, the authors of those do not get the credit or commission they deserve either. Also stores that legitimately carry them such as the AA store are also being punished for it.

If you put many hours days, months, into something that you created yourself only to have someone basically steal it from under your nose and profit off it maybe you would understand.

As for rare Atari games I would fall into the as long as there is a very clear definition that it is a reproduction of a game and no one is being fooled or harmed then that is one thing but to not have any information at all is another and be put in a format to mislead the public is another. There are good people part of this community who really are artists in a sense whether it's making carts to programming them and it is a slap in everyone's face.

I guess again loyalty, honor, and respect are something people might need to understand in this case.

*spelling corrected because some people take themselves too seriously!

You should of.

You know it would of been funnier if you I actually said that in the previous post. I wonder how many rolling emoticons that would have garnered.

Sure, whatever, I guess my sin of bad grammar, and taking myself "way too serious" is way worse than your actions in this thread.

You should of.

Sure, whatever, I guess my sin of bad grammar, and taking myself "way too serious" is way worse than your actions in this thread.

You miss the forest for the trees every time.

Ok buddy you tell me. Ask yourself why someone might get joy out of correcting you over trivial details in public. Correct that reason and it will stop to happen. I don't think you want it to stop. No one does.

You enjoy the attention. Here is just another thread that has nothing to do with you and instead of correcting me for my use of the word repo you feel the need to correct CPUwiz for his failing to correct me. Perhaps there is more to him correcting you than his love of grammar wouldn't you say?

People worry because not only do innocent individuals often lose money but also in the case of homebrews, the authors of those do not get the credit or commission they deserve either. Also stores that legitimately carry them such as the AA store are also being punished for it.

If you put many hours days, months, into something that you created yourself only to have someone basically steal it from under your nose and profit off it maybe you would understand.

As for rare Atari games I would fall into the as long as there is a very clear definition that it is a reproduction of a game and no one is being fooled or harmed then that is one thing but to not have any information at all is another and be put in a format to mislead the public is another. There are good people part of this community who really are artists in a sense whether it's making carts to programming them and it is a slap in everyone's face.

I guess again loyalty, honor, and respect are something people might need to understand in this case.

Yeah but this isn't a homebrew.

I've seen many examples over the years and the line between what is ok and what is not is not a straight one. In this case I think it has more to do with Randy than anything. Shawn gets to stick it to Randy and rally the troops. Which is fine. I just wanted to hear him say it. ;)

You should of.

Perhaps there is more to him correcting you than his love of grammar wouldn't you say?

Exactly, and that was the point I was trying to make.

You should of.

Perhaps there is more to him correcting you than his love of grammar wouldn't you say?

Exactly, and that was the point I was trying to make.

Excellent point !