IGNORED

Is the Atari LYNX "HANDY" emulator good quality for Die HARD LYNX FANS?

JCGhitman11

I am a die hard fan of Atari Lynx and soon I will have a very fast PC for gaming and can't wait to try out the Handy. Although I love my lynx, I would like to experience it in better quality and sound. Every Lynx I have ever owned always gets a bunch of dust under the screen and there are always either pink or white dots on the Lcd screen. ** Will this emulator blow die hard Lynx fans away? For windows, what is the difference between Handy 0.90 and 0.95??

**LETS SEE HOW BAD THIS "HANDY" BAD BOY REALLY IS**

Edited by JCGhitman11

For me, nothing beats a real Lynx, no matter how good the emulator is/might be :)

True, but I have had bad luck with all my Lynx units. They either have bad pixels or they end up collecting all that nasty dust under the screen. I wish Jack Tramiel would have at least put more $$ into production and built a better screen and more tightlly sealed. I love the lynx because of how much love the programmers put into making the games.

The picture quality is naturally better via emulator, but the sound emulation is not as good; you hear a bit of crackling sometimes. Also, a few games do not run perfectly on Handy, RoadBlasters comes to mind, it has graphic bugs.

It´s sad that nobody works on improving the emulator and making it perfect anymore.

The picture quality is naturally better via emulator, but the sound emulation is not as good; you hear a bit of crackling sometimes. Also, a few games do not run perfectly on Handy, RoadBlasters comes to mind, it has graphic bugs.

It´s sad that nobody works on improving the emulator and making it perfect anymore.

SO SAD INDEED :x Is the Handy the best you recommend for emulating Atari Lynx games???? How do all the other games look and sound??? You just broke my heart. I was so excited about using the Handy emulator..

Edited by JCGhitman11

You can find a decent lynx still. The stores got stuck with tons of them and they are out there if you are patient. The games arent that much on ebay either if you are patient.

The emulator works OK. The sound is not great, but I just use it to check out games before I fork over the cash - then I play on my real lynx (plugged into the wall of course :roll:)

SO SAD INDEED :x Is the Handy the best you recommend for emulating Atari Lynx games???? How do all the other games look and sound??? You just broke my heart. I was so excited about using the Handy emulator..

Don´t be too sad; Handy is still a good emulator overall. It´s not perfect, but does get the job done pretty well overall. I suppose it is because of the limited populaity of the Lynx compared to other systems that there are no better alternatives; yet this emulator is still far better than emulators for many other consoles.

You get the chance to play Lynx on a bigger screen and with super sharp picture and strong contrastful colors; that alone is pretty cool. Look at the screenshots from AtariAge, they are made using Handy I believe.

Buy a USB Gamepad too and you can enjoy Lynx games pretty well with Handy. Just be aware that it is not perfect. :)

You get the chance to play Lynx on a bigger screen and with super sharp picture and strong contrastful colors; that alone is pretty cool. Look at the screenshots from AtariAge, they are made using Handy I believe.

I must say, the rgb striping of the Lynx' LCD has some nostalgic quality. But maybe that only aplies for those who have played their lynx back in the 90's.

Handy is not a poor emulator by any means. The development version is also an incredibly helpful tool. You're not going to get any huge differences in the gameplay of whatever title you're emulating, since logic-wise, it's moderately accurate. However the following is not 100% correct:

*Audio is pretty accurate, but the playback frequency is a little too low.

*Timer emulation is off, which is why midline palette changes don't always work right and some graphical mess occasionally happens. This can also cause the audio to "skip" or the display to flicker. This is most notable since there are a large number of timers in the Lynx.

*The Framebuffer is occasionally read too early or incorrectly. No idea why this happens.

Other than those issues, it emulates the Lynx fairly well.

Edited by TailChao

• 2 weeks later...
Handy is not a poor emulator by any means. The development version is also an incredibly helpful tool. You're not going to get any huge differences in the gameplay of whatever title you're emulating, since logic-wise, it's moderately accurate. However the following is not 100% correct:

*Timer emulation is off, which is why midline palette changes don't always work right and some graphical mess occasionally happens. This can also cause the audio to "skip" or the display to flicker. This is most notable since there are a large number of timers in the Lynx.

*The Framebuffer is occasionally read too early or incorrectly. No idea why this happens.

What is the development version that you say is an incedibly helpful tool. I don't understand...... All I know is that I can either download v 0.90 or v0.95. Please help.. Thank you so much

What is the development version that you say is an incedibly helpful tool. I don't understand...... All I know is that I can either download v 0.90 or v0.95. Please help.. Thank you so much

The development version is called handybug where you can make RAM-Snapshot debugging, step-by-step running and many more.

The development version is called handybug where you can make RAM-Snapshot debugging, step-by-step running and many more.

Is the development version different than Handy v 0.90 or 0.95; or is it a tool you use with the handy v 0.90 or 0.95?? Please explain, I am trying to learn. Thanks

"Development version" means it is a version of the emulator that has some additional features for people who make their own Lynx-games; that´s all. Imagine someone is programming his own game for the Lynx and wants to test it to find errors; the development version of handy has some options that help you in finding the problems.

Nothing for you to worry about, it makes no difference for you as a player. The features from the development version are useless for you. Just use Handy v 0.95. The higher the number of a program, the newer the version is. Since 95 comes after 90, 95 must be newer.

Edited by 108 Stars