IGNORED

Just got myself a Nintendo DS this week

Games I have that I still play from time to time:

New Super Mario Brothers (oops, you already have that!)

Elite Beat Agents

Mario Kart DS

Cooking Mama

Age of Empires

Advance Wars (both of them)

Metroid Prime Pinball

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin

Edited by Lord Helmet

The DS get's kind of a bad rap because it's so popular that there is a ton of shovelware for the platform. Never the less there is well over 100 4 star games if you hunt through the mediocrity and Paint my poney style games. It is especially great if you either get yourself a flashcard (for emus and homebrews and imports) and or you like retro games, since there are tons of classic styled games for the DS.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

DS bulky, DS lite or DSi? I got the bulky as the specs are exzactly the same, but each to there own, anyhow more to point... WHICH DS HAVE YA GOT?!

The specs are not even close to being the same. Compared to the Original "bulky" DS, the DS Lite case is smaller (the screen is the same size) and weighs about 20% less, has a longer battery life with shorter recharge time, brighter screen backlight with adjustable brightness, and the stylus is larger. The DSi has a slightly larger screen, thinner but longer case, adds two cameras and an SD card slot, and eliminates the GBA slot. Plus there is a built-in internet browser and music player.

As for the one I own, it's a DS Lite. I think the DSi camera is a bit of a gimmick, and I don't like that they did away with the GBA slot (which eliminates more than just GBA games as there are some unique peripherals made for DS games that utilize the slot).

DS bulky, DS lite or DSi? I got the bulky as the specs are exzactly the same, but each to there own, anyhow more to point... WHICH DS HAVE YA GOT?!

The specs are not even close to being the same. Compared to the Original "bulky" DS, the DS Lite case is smaller (the screen is the same size) and weighs about 20% less, has a longer battery life with shorter recharge time, brighter screen backlight with adjustable brightness, and the stylus is larger. The DSi has a slightly larger screen, thinner but longer case, adds two cameras and an SD card slot, and eliminates the GBA slot. Plus there is a built-in internet browser and music player.

The specs actually are the same. The battery life, screen size (the DSi has a lower resolution BTW), stylus size, ect. has nothing to do with the actual processing power.

The specs actually are the same. The battery life, screen size (the DSi has a lower resolution BTW), stylus size, ect. has nothing to do with the actual processing power.

Well, I guess I should have qualified myself... "specs" can be a general term that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with processing architecture or power. Size, weight, battery life, etc. in fact are "specs". Of course I know that the DS, DS Lite, and DSi have the same processors. But the DSi works differently than the DS/DS Lite, as I mentioned before with the added/removed features, and this is also obvious by the fact that there will be DSi-specific games that will not work on the DS/DS Lite.

Also, the DSi does not have a lower resolution screen. A difference in screen size does not necessarily mean a difference in resolution.

Ok, but for me the important thing is processing power if you're gonna get all technical at the end of the day Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie is gonna be the same Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie wether you stick it in the DS, DS lite or DSi, so as far as I'm conserned the next DS I will be buying is gonna be the DS 2, I never had a problem with the first DS on day 1, so I don't see why I should spend £99 on a DSi, when I can play the EXZACT same games on a DS bulky without spending any money. It's just logic!

... (the DSi has a lower resolution BTW)...

I'm pretty sure that's not true. The only (stupid) complaint I've seen is that they increased the size of the screen, but didn't increase the resolution. The DSi also has 4x the amount of RAM that the DS Lite/Fat DS has (not that this makes any difference right now)

The extra 3x ram is probably to run the cameras though...

As for resolution, it'll feel lower, as it is the same number of pixels in a bigger screen..It's kinda like looking at a 13" SD tv, vs a 30"SDtv, the 13 will feel like a higher res, as the pixels are closer together, though there's not any extra..

And to the DS, well,if you didn't have the GBA, you'll probably like it well enough (if you can find the games without to much touching, blowing, talking etc going on) If you did have the GBA, you'll probably find yourself playing the GBA's superior library most of the time, with short bouts of playing the occasional good DS game inbetween. I hope you like it, but I won't guarantee you'll like it. (NewSMB is one of the better games BTW, still don't have it myself as it's still $35, even for a used copy, and I won't pay over $30 for a handheld game unless something comes with it (guitar hero, though I didn't get that cause I'm not a fan, just an example))

Edited by Video

• 1 month later...

The DS Lite. Plus since this thread I got Duck Amuck with Daffy Duck.

Edited by HP Atari King of Michigan

ive gotten into ds lately as well. ive played it here and there but was never really excited by it until lately. i don't know what changed lol.

i usually absolutely hate rpgs but for some reason i enjoy the hell out of 'em on the ds.

i got myself the 1st design, the lite just feels completely uncomfortable in my hands.

I have the regular DS as well as the DSi, which I am now using. I have a good amount of games for it. Ones I like that I have are:

Mario Kart DS

Mario & Luigi:Partners in Time

Legend of Zelda:Phantom Hourglass (though I find this one to be kind of difficult to master)

The last 3 Phoenix Wright games (I only am missing the first one)

Mystery Case Files:Millionheir (kind of a strange game, but finding the items is pretty challenging)

Scrabble (I recommend playing this on the DSi - playing on a regular DS is very difficult)

The game I am waiting for to come out next month is Scribblenauts, which has the potential to be one of the most innovative hand-held games ever made.