IGNORED

Flip Out! Updated Logic

Joel D. Park

Ok guys, I found a bug in my Bear Logic It kind of made him drift to one side of the screen this has been fixed.

Also, I added new logic where at random intervals the bear comes toward the player. It's not a direct heat-seeking missle thing, more like a direction change.

This breaks the repeating random pattern, but also adds some challenge.

The aggression of the bear tward the player increases as the level does, so by like level 10 you're running for you life.

flipout.bin

Let me know what you think.

although i scored only 5190 this time, i prefer the new logic. Mr Bear's behaviour is much less predictable. Well done. What about adding other animals, say for example Evil Penguin, with different behaviour? i'm thinking like every other level, or every three levels or as a bonus round maybe? you could still retain Mr Bear as a main enemy, and reward a player with some other funny animal every three rounds to make it more tempting to have another go.

I was thinking about penguins. They would fit very well into the sprite limitations.

So far, I've tried to keep the game under 4K because I kind of assumed there would be price differences between a 4k and 8k cartridge. I'd love to have a cartridge made in the future and offer the game on the Atari Age store.. I'm down to 126 bytes on my 4K cart so there's not alot more I can do there.

I'll resarch a bit more on bankswitching and give it a go perhaps.

Ohh, posibly I could do an animal coming up through the ice, and even an ice jumping level..

You bring up a very good point. It'd be nice to have a shot at that evil monkey.

This is already a nice little game but IMO it really needs some more variation to keep people playing longer than just a few minutes. Maybe change the creature every few levels, add a bonus round, a better difficulty ramp up or something like that.

And you should really make the missile wider to make it look like a tranquilzer dart and not a dingleberry! :D

As it is at the moment it's a fun minigame but not good enough yet to be released on cart IMO.

8K games usually cost 5 bucks more in the AA-Store but it's quite hard to squeeze a good game into 4K with bB so i guess you won't get around making it 8K.

It's a little fun game however, one thing which bothered me is that you can't do anything about the black blocks on the screen, which makes it easy to get boxed in. Perhaps you should be able to remove the black blocks with a shot? Furthermore, changing the bear sprite into a different animal, as well as changing the colors of the background at times, and perhaps a game over screen, a high score screen and a victory screen after 21 rounds or so would be nice little extras. ^_^

It's a little fun game however, one thing which bothered me is that you can't do anything about the black blocks on the screen, which makes it easy to get boxed in. Perhaps you should be able to remove the black blocks with a shot? Furthermore, changing the bear sprite into a different animal, as well as changing the colors of the background at times, and perhaps a game over screen, a high score screen and a victory screen after 21 rounds or so would be nice little extras. ^_^

Hey! Shooting the Black Boxes (Ice Chunks) is a great idea!

You guys have given me a ton of awesome ideas! Now I just gotta dig up the time to put them into place.

I'm guessing the cart will become 8K.. No worries. Maybe even 16K, I need to read a bit more in the bAtari manual.