IGNORED

Playable 2600 Dig Dug-arcade gfx hack!

espire8

post-7623-1244161492_thumb.pngpost-7623-1244171296_thumb.png

This is a hack of another hack by Omegamatrix (Dig Dug with infinite lives) which somehow I decided to check if upgrading the sprite graphics was possible, and it works! I spent the whole afternoon redrawing the sprites. This was never possible in the original source code as discussed in this older thread.

Finally - more accurate and now playable! I'd remove the infinite lives but I'm afraid to mess with this hack any further.

Edit-- Just been informed this particular rom has the cheat turned off, so this is even better than I thought. Though the attached bin file name say *infinite lives* it's only by name. I'm not gonna change out the attachment since there are already quite a number of downloads; --just know this version does gives you 5 lives to start and a bonus life at 10,000 pts. :D Enjoy!

Dig_Dug__arcade_gfx_infinite_lives__NTSC.bin

Edited by espire8
  • Like 1

Actually the infinite lives is disabled in your rom. ;) I took a look at what I had posted, and had to submit a new attachment. I didn't set the switch to infinite lives inside the assembly when I made the NTSC rom. Anyhow it's all good now, and your rom is also non-inifinite lives, by my mistake.

Jeff

Ha! I didn't know until I tried to play an actual game tonight after all my hacking. :lolblue:

It's a very happy accident nonetheless. This is how the game should play anyway. Thanks for posting the bin without which I could never have done this hack. :) I plan to look at changing the the Lt. purple color of dig dug character into white and tidy up some of the vegetables. I thought of changing pooka to red but it may look too dark. I hope everyone likes it as it is now.

Thanks for posting the bin without which I could never have done this hack. :)

I think you meant disassembly, as the bin I original posted was just plain old Dig Dug. ;) I had a go at your hack and I was really impressed by the dragon gfx. Those look really good now.

Edited by Omegamatrix