IGNORED

2600 Games To Avoid According To The Video Game Critic

4Ks

I enjoy his reviews and descriptions, but I also enjoy Pac-Man, Home Run, Realsports Football, Pooyan, and Desert Falcon. Not everyone is going to agree with what's fun, but you can compare tastes. And fortunately, there are a ton of different games to choose from for every system out there, especially the giant 2600 VCS catalog.

• Like 2

This "games to avoid" thing is so useless and silly.We all have different tastes in video gaming.About 98 % of the games in those lists end up being my favorites.Imagine all the gaming goodness one would miss out on if they listened to these reviewers. :roll:

I think a better thread would be "Simply Unplayable Atari 2600 Games." Really, there are some games that are just USELESS and unplayable. I'm not talking about frustrating pits ala ET, or disappointing graphics ala Pac-Man, but games that are impossible to play.

Yeah i know what you mean, you made a good point.A game right away i can think of is Sea Hunt by Froggo.It's an okay concept, but impossible to play, just can't avoid getting eaten by the sharks, or the other big fish.Unless someone is a serious collector, then not a good game to buy.But i like to judge the games by myself.I usually get games pretty cheap so if they fall into the "impossible to play" category, well, no big loss money wise, but i like to have them in my collection anyway.

Ooops......sorry about that. I was mistaking the VGC for that loser Angry Nintendo Nerd.

Apologies to VGC.

I never understood how that Angry Video Game Nerd could reach celebrity status and is signing autographs at gaming expos...I mean, he's just a gamer like you and me

Yeah, he is overrated. However, I have seen him in person at SGC 2009 and 2010. He's pretty cool in person, and not as vulgar as in his videos. The AVGN is more of a character than his real self.

We've already beaten the E.T. and Pac-Man games to death in conversation so I won't go into those other than to say I like them. Rampage for the 2600 manages to capture pretty much all of the arcade elements and it deserves props for that.

I actually like the VIDEO GAME Critic lot. First, I do not know why some people take critics, any critic so seriously, in the end it is just one persons opinion, either you agree or you do not, take it with a grain of salt. As critics go though I think he is pretty good, seems honest and adds just enough humor for entertainment, I often go to his reviews as a starting point just to get an idea of what to expect and then just go from there.

As for AVGN, many people still do not seem to understand the fact that he is just a character, created by James Rolfe who has always been into cinema and film making, it is the public that chose to make him a internet celeb and he ran with it, who can blame him? Again, nobody should take him seriously, James himself has said on interviews the reviews are not meant to be serious, it is a character taken to the extreme for entertainment purposes only, have fun with it. I always laugh when fanboys bitch and moan about some minor inaccuracy or mundane detail he leaves out in a review, lighten up folks.

• Like 2

I love reading The Video Game Critic's reviews. He's kind of like Roger Ebert in a way... even when he's completely off-base, he's still interesting, and he's obviously got a passion for what he's doing.

Plus, you have to give him props for covering homebrews, even if you disagree with some of his ratings (and you can probably guess at least one I disagree with.) The sheer breadth of his coverage is impressive... lots of games I'd never heard of, he takes the time to play and review.

--Will

• Like 4

I actually like the VIDEO GAME Critic lot. First, I do not know why some people take critics, any critic so seriously, in the end it is just one persons opinion, either you agree or you do not, take it with a grain of salt. As critics go though I think he is pretty good, seems honest and adds just enough humor for entertainment, I often go to his reviews as a starting point just to get an idea of what to expect and then just go from there.

As for AVGN, many people still do not seem to understand the fact that he is just a character, created by James Rolfe who has always been into cinema and film making, it is the public that chose to make him a internet celeb and he ran with it, who can blame him? Again, nobody should take him seriously, James himself has said on interviews the reviews are not meant to be serious, it is a character taken to the extreme for entertainment purposes only, have fun with it. I always laugh when fanboys bitch and moan about some minor inaccuracy or mundane detail he leaves out in a review, lighten up folks.

:thumbsup:

Well said OldSchoolRetroGamer and e1will.

• Like 2

I disagree with a few on the list:

E.T.

Reactor

Quadrun

With all three of these games, I feel like it's just a matter of taking the time to learn how to play them. With Reactor & Quadrun it's a matter of techniques & getting used to patterns. With E.T. it's a matter of figuring out the strategy needed to aquire all the pieces. People have a tendency to hate games they can't just pop in & play & enjoy the very 1st time. The 1st several times I played these games I had no idea what was going on. Now, Reactor & Quadrun are 2 of my faves & I'd rank E.T. in the same category as Raiders of the Lost Ark (in fact, I find E.T. to be much easier).

I was typing up a statement to say, but this pretty much sums it up, 100%. Quadrun is one of my favorite Atari games.

AVGN doesn't make me angry because I know it's just a show, but I also don't find it funny - at all. I like VGC quite well because of his short-format reviews and easy to navigate site. The icons like arthur or teddy bear give you good information quick. You can research a whole system and figure out what you'd probably like on it in just a few minutes. Any difference of opinion between the reviewer and reader is probably just natural.

There is his "oh, look at me, I'm so anti-pc that I rock for using the word gay a lot" deal, though. Whatever.

That list is just an opinion, like assholes, everybody seems to have one. I like several of those games as a matter of point!

That's all they are... opinions.Some seem to think opinions are fact.We all have brains and are quite capable of figuring out things for ourselves, don't need reviewers to do it for us.Reviewers telling us what and not to buy is an insult to anyone.

Edited by Rik