IGNORED

BMP to Atari 2600 graphics. (Compiler)

GeekyLink

Here's a simple little program I threw together as a demo. I saw a javascript based program that worked like this, but I wanted to make something that could run off an actual image file (That way you can easily make changes to it later if necessary). Not sure how many people will find it useful, but I figured I'd post it in case it might help anyone. It takes a 24bit BMP and converts it to ASM code. It works with player graphics and playfields; it can also do a fullscreen playfield display. (Now supports reflected and nonreflected playfields) If you are making a player graphic the image must be 8 pixels wide and 192 pixels or less tall. Playfields must be 40 pixels wide and 192 pixels or less in height. The image you feed in needs to be white where you want a "0" and any other color where you want a "1".

I can release the source code if anyone wants to take a look at it, but it currently resembles something along the lines of a train wreck.

Hope somebody finds it useful/interesting. :P

Update:

Now supports command line switches. Here's the usage:

BMPTo2600 image.bmp code.asm -p/s -r/n

For flag three use -p if it is a playfield and -s if it is a sprite

For flag four (Only really needed for playfields) use -r for reflected and -n for normal

You can simply use the first three flags if you want, but note that if you use a playfield it will be set to normal (Non-reflected):

BMPTo2600 image.bmp code.asm -p/s

Download link:

http://gekinzuku.com/members/download.php?...;File=BMPTo2600

Here's a demo of a result from the program in use. (Random title screen I threw together):

kerneltest.png

Edited by GeekyLink

Thanks, I'm glad you guys like it. I just edited it to support reflected and non-reflected playfields as an option. Not a very large update, but there really isn't much else to do with a program like this. (At least that I can think of)

The download link is the same as the above, so if you want to give it a shot just click it again.

Any chance of getting a bB version of this?

You mean a Batari Basic version? I don't know how bB does graphics; I've just been playing with ASM. To be honest, I kind of thought they both used the same method... If you could send me an example of bB graphics I could probably implement it easily though. :P

Are there command line switches or is the only way to use it is via the text menus?

-Jeff

Good idea. I just implemented command line switches. Here's the usage:

For flag four (Only really needed for playfields) use -r for reflected and -n for normal

You can simply use the first three flags if you want, but note that if you use a playfield it will be set to normal (Non-reflected):

Same download as before.

Are there command line switches or is the only way to use it is via the text menus?

-Jeff

Good idea. I just implemented command line switches. Here's the usage:

Same download as before.

Cool I'll have to try it out again. This might be something I could easily integrate with Visual bB now!

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1 month later...