IGNORED

Xbox360 movie tie-in games

Cafeman

I have been playing lots of The Incredible Hulk this week, couldn't find a proper post about it. Since I don't expect too much reply on the subject, I made the topic about all 360 movie tie-in games - which do you enjoy, which really suck and why?

On the subject of The Incredible Hulk:

I am a big Hulk fan. It was my first comics subscription years ago, I loved the TV series, read many of the Hulk comics thru the 90's and I watched both film adaptations many times each. I loved playing the excellent Xbox game Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, which was a perfect example of how to do a Hulk game.

Graphically, I've think the game really looks great most of the time. The in-game graphics feature many varied vehicles, Hulk is modeled very well, there's great explosions and destruction and NYC. At first the gameplay seemed disappointing compared to Ultimate Destruction, but now that I've unlocked long jumps and other speacial moves, TIH is a lot of fun, consuming hours at a time as I rampage thru free-city gameplay and/or various mission levels.

Before I go on though, there are serious graphics problems *sometimes* - this game was rushed to completion. I believe it occurs when helicopters are attacking you with many missiles and especially at night with all the nice glowing lighting - choppy framerate and severe pop-in/fade in! The frame rate must dive to 10fps or worse for brief moments and the fade-in of vehicles and buildings is like Shenmue on Dreamcast where the people constantly fade-in before Ryo from 10-20 feet away! But again .. this reduces my enjoyment when it happens, but so far it doesn't happen regularly enough to ruin this fun game. Also, the game has locked up on me twice - from reading reviews, all versions of this game lock-up. And also, the cinemas have the ugliest models of the actors possible. Who did these? Their faces are made of melting clay?? oh well. The voices are by the film actors which is nice, especially Samuel Sterns.

However, this game has many redeeming features and all Hulk fans should get this game and put some time into it, just get it on-the-cheap. There are landmarks in the city such as the Marvel Comics building or the United Nations building, and you can destroy these to get the landmark coin hidden inside. So much fun it is, leveling buildings. You can destroy any building in the entire city though. As you smash the outside veneer of each building, the game draws a 3D texture of debris and girders and it spits out debris that Hulk can pick up and use. Hulk can grab a shield out of the concret or even building roof. When you smash a tree, you can pick up some of the trunk as a throwable/usable normal weapon, and some tree trunk parts can be used as a bat for Hulk to swing around or over his head. Hulk grabs vehicles and rips two gauntlet gloves for himself to use for extra damage on enemies - I swear Ult. Destruction was the first I'd seen this awesome game feature, and the film itself used it. Maybe Hulk did this in the comics too, but I can't remember. It's in here too. You can lock onto enemies and throw the various vehicles/enemies/debris at them just like in UD too.

Hulk can heal himself if his red rage meter has enough ticks on its meter (which is almost always). Other "Rage Moves" you earn are a super Hand Clap and super Ground Stomp.

The sounds and display of the destruction - quite excellent! The enemies get repetitive - Hulk-buster robots and usually 2 tanks, and also puny soldiers with beam weapons or missiles are very common. But as you progress missions you also fight helicopters, different kinds of tanks, nanobot bee swarms (right out of Crichton's Prey novel!), and four superhero/supervillains called the "U-foes" who work for the Enclave. These include a steel guy, a tornado guy, a female who can turn to gas state (hand-clap her!), and a lightning guy. I fought a big city-stomping robot, and of course Hulk will eventually battle Abomination, which I've not progressed story mode that far yet.

Finally, like all these sandbox city games, you can search corners and rooftops and ledges for hidden comics covers, also for the 100 health capsules (green glowing), and 100 orange-glowing rage capsules. Get 10 of each early on the beef-up Hulk's powers! I have found that bounding thru the city, destroying landmarks and searching for the hidden stuff (there is a sound you hear when you are near one) and also smashing the army as you go, is fun for a great many hours.

Wrapping up this unordered description, I have found that this Incredible Hulk game is not nearly as horrible as I at-first expected it to turn out. Anyone else play this?

There have been quite a few decent movie games on the 360 lately. (So I've heard)

Also check out Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Riddick Assault on Dark Athena and Ghostbusters. All obtained ratings better than 7 on IGN.

Not sure what's going on. Games based on movies have traditionally sucked.

I did some research and there are some common people who did Treyarch's Spider-Man 2 and 3 games on Xbox etc, and now word for Edge of Reality and did this Hulk game. Interesting to me, because SM2 was a pioneering effort in super-hero games, and yet SM3 (also quite good on 360, to me) had a bit of the same issues that I see in Incredible Hulk. They must have used the same basic engine or technology behind the engine.

Andway, after a while destroyed buildings 'come back', which is good - you can destroy a building before you get a hidden gamma tank on top it, or before you've used the building to accomplish feats which unlock moves/goodies. But on the overhead map you can still see which landmarks you didn't get the landmark icon/coin for yet.

I haven't had the game lock up on me again, so far, and I must have played 4 hours straight last night and didn't want to quit. It was fun and also a bit wacky/frustrating trying to find the 5 tallest buildings (you get an achievement if you climb them) - the enemies can destroy a building too as they rain down missiles at you climbing it.

I'm still convinced this Hulk game rocks, warts and all. I'm trying to unlock the "Incredible" versions of Hulk's moves - Incredible Jumps , Incredible Ground Pound, etc. You can use subways to travel the vast city distances quicker if you want to, but that's not as fun as leaping. I found Bi-Beast (whom I never heard of until now - look him up if curious) last night along with more Enclave missions. Interesting that Hulk comics regulars Major Talbot and Rick Jones have been interwoven into the storyline from the film a bit.

Also of note, this game has awesome surround sound! The crumble and roar of buildings, the woosh sound of water from a broken fire hydrant, Hulk's cries and roars, the helicopters around you etc - good work there! and loud!

Edited by Cafeman

I'm going to have to get this game. Sounds like it might be a blast to play. I'll put it in my Gamefly queue.

You wont find the same level of innovation in Kung FU Panda. It's a serviceable movie based game, not terrible but nothing that will make you want to play it after it's beaten. (Which doesn’t take very long)

One other older movie based game that was aimed more at kids but was actually pretty dang fun to play was Cars.

moycon, just get it cheap. Shouldn't have to pay more than $15 for it used.

Speaking of "Cars", I liked the film but never even tried the game because I was disappointed with prior Pixar film games, like Bugs Life, Toy Story 2 on DC (horrible control), or finding Nemo (load-a-riffic and dull, as I recall). Aren't there more than one version of Cars, on GCN and on Wii? Is it on 360 as well then? Which version did you play?

I downloaded the Cars demo, really found it too kid-oriented and not fun. I know its just a demo, but still, with my limited time, I'm not going further.

I did play more of T.I.H. though! Unlocked classic savage green Hulk, and the Incredible Jump move. I'm fighting Tony Stark's HulkBuster suit in a mission now, and it is a much higher challenge than the normal enemies, thankfully - it involves being a bit quicker on your green feet and charging a rage move to stun him, then if you did pull that off, it stuns him long enough to get in there and start causing some real damage.

Also played The Twelve Days of Destruction (one of the various mini-games) and had loads of fun with that. Smashing bus stops, fire hydrants, air conditioner units, choppers and giant robots! Yeah! This game just rocks and has a very satisfying length, I still haven't run into Abomination (just Blonksy so far).

Just started to play Kung Fu Panda. Now, I have grown to absolutely love the animated film, so that makes me enjoy the game so much more. Back when I first got KFP for free with my X360, I hadn't seen the film yet and thus had no interest in playing a fat panda. What I failed to realize at the time was the game doesn't just feature a big fat panda ... it features THE big fat panda! (...that's a line from the film guys).

First thoughts from Caf Jr and myself: the graphics are often quite awesome! It looks nearly identical to the film at times. The water FX are fantastic! I love when Po jumps on a raft or giant green lillypad and it submerges a foot or two.

Well, the game seems to follow the expected mission-based formula. I watched Caf jr play thru the training missions, fight crocs and rescue turtles, and scale a mountain where giant ape hurls (not barrels) boulders down at you.

Well, Kung Fu Panda didn't last long. I never really played it at all, instead I just kept watching the son play it, and its beaten now. Some of the fights and missions seemed a bit too drawn out and filler to me but oh well, what else do you expect from this kind of game. I really like the quick-timer sequences though! Or, QTE as Shenmue called them - did Shenmue invent QTE events ? I think so, never saw them elsewhere until Shenmue hit on the Dreamcast. When Tai Lung would hurl columns at Master Shifu for example, and you have to press A B X quickly and then you just watch Shifu smash the column and hit Tai Lung with one piece.

Overall thoughts of Kung Fu Panda: very nice visuals, great voicework mostly by the real actors, and decent gameplay which is a bit too collectey and a bit too repetetive.

Played some more Incredible Hulk last night. When I play Hulk, it is mostly for 3 or 4 hours at a time, it just sucks me in. I caught up on a bunch of mini games I had neglected, beat the game (Abomination's battle is pretty easy to be honest), and did a methodical search for gamma and rage capsules (and comics if I'd stumble upon them) by systematically working thru the city rooftops. That was really fun. Eventually the danger level would get too high and the enemies would start to bug me - to reset to 0 level of danger, just take the subway anyway, then back again.

After exploring around for a few hours it seemed, I battled the final 3 Enclave bosses in their 3 missions. Not too hard really, here is the pattern: Destroy the building which is their base, destroy the couple of littler enemies, then throw cars until the Enclave leader drops from the sky and then alternate rage punches (to stun them) and strong punches to hurt them. Repeat for all 3 , healing when necessary. I still want achieve some more feats to unlock more goodies but I can see my play of this game winding down.

Overall thoughts on Incredible Hulk: this has the best city-destruction feel and visuals I've ever encountered, great model of NYC, it is just a joy to bounce and climb around the city. Gameplay is not as rich and varied as it could have been, but the fighting moves set is rich enough and fun enough to satisfy once you've unlocked the ground pound and hand clap moves. The game could have been better if it had just a bit more variety (wow, if we could have demolished Brazil as well!) in location and it needs more variety of enemies too. The army has jeeps, little tanks, big tanks, soldiers , mechs, and choppers. The Enclave has bio-engineered creatures, soldiers, and the U-foes - but mostly you only battle the U-foe who flies around creating tornadoes of city debris. What happened to the other U-foes that you battle in the first U-foe mission?

I'd rate it 8/10 for Hulk fans, don't know why so many rated it 6/10 or lower.

I moved on to X360 version of Spider-Man 3. When we first got our X360, this game seemed pretty nice to me, but after playing Hulk, it is difficult to get used to the very plain buildings and city streets. I am already losing interest in the game; I've seen my son play thru several of the Lizard missions already and I'm not looking forward to it, it seems a bit repetitive. NYC seems noticeably larger than in Hulk, to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Eragon a game so bad that I did not watch the movie.... sad beatem up

beowulf...

a game so bad that I did not watch the movie....

Hulk is great but its a game that bucks the trend the above re in force it.

I also have Jumper.. the game is okay but the movie sucked.... want to get 400 points for 1 hours play?

I also have Jumper.. the game is okay

Not.

I can't believe you complained that Eragon was a sad beatem up (at least it had flying levels) and then said Jumper (nothing but crappy beatem up all the way) was ok. Jumper is ok if your only other option was to stick pins in your scrotum. ;)

Agreed -- I played King Kong on the original Xbox (Still own it!), and it was truly fantastic. I read that the 360 version appears too dark if played on a non-HDTV, which I still use a standard 27" with basic component hookups, so I never tried the newer version, but I assume its the same gameplay.

I loved the portrayal of the Rex and raptors in KK. I thought the use of fire was pretty cool too, also the need to conserve ammo and the making of spears out of local wood was great too.

I read that the 360 version appears too dark if played on a non-HDTV

It was too dark in parts even on an HDTV. There were a couple parts where I was navigating the landscape (and cussing out loud) in complete blackness. No amount of fiddling with the picture would help either! Not sure what that was all about. I did enjoy the game though. Very well done.

Edited by moycon

I also have Jumper.. the game is okay

Not.

I can't believe you complained that Eragon was a sad beatem up (at least it had flying levels) and then said Jumper (nothing but crappy beatem up all the way) was ok. Jumper is ok if your only other option was to stick pins in your scrotum. ;)

yeah you are right I was trying not to be too negative.....

hAve you played sonic the hedgehog now there is a game that is truly awful but there has never been a movie so I cannot tie it into the thread

• 2 weeks later...

Golden Compass. It is a Sega game based on a movie that I have never seen. Its a kids game. Also its rather feeble and seems to have be designed for the Wii as there are quite a few balancing parts to the levels. AS I am not a kid I am not sure that I am the best person to judge this game ... but it is really cheap everywhtere which is never a good sign....

has anyone played Iron Man?

I have played the following movie licensed games:

Pirates of the Carribean: pretty average game but it is not horrible

Ironman: I like this one a lot, once you get used to the control. I thought the key to any superhero game is that you have to feel like that character, and Ironman does this very well. It can be pretty tough too. I don't get all the hate for this game.

Eragon: Terrible

King Kong: I guess this is okay for a launch title, but I played it 2 years later and I didn't like it at all.