IGNORED

Should I get an XEGS if I have a 5200 already?

VectorGamer

Absolutely, you should get the XEgs, if you're a collector. However, you might consider ANY of the Atari-8bit computer line over the XEGS, since they are the same thing, and a much more compact design.

I'd suggest 800XL or 130XE over XEgs. However, you can use standard RCA cable for composite video on XEGS whereas you'd have to spend another $15 or so to get your hands on an A8 computer video cable (same as early C64 or Vic20) with DIN5. So that may tip you back towards XEgs.

Either way, they're all A8 computers, and yes - you should get one!! The cheap, standard, trouble-free controllers are a nice bonus, no matter what any slanted/opinionated "expert" says.

You'll have a lot of "room" to grow your gaming collection to the [formerly] disc and tape games that you'll get your mits on through the modern advent of disc images you can get from the internet; a world of 48K games not available on the 5200.

The 800XL or 130XE look like a good deal. I'd rather have one piece like the C64 instead of having a separate keyboard hanging around.

Like aftermac, I only want cartridge based games.

Now - how about a list of classic arcade ports for these systems in cartridge format only?

The 800XL or 130XE look like a good deal. I'd rather have one piece like the C64 instead of having a separate keyboard hanging around.

Like aftermac, I only want cartridge based games.

Now - how about a list of classic arcade ports for these systems in cartridge format only?

Here's some good ports on the A8:

Asteroids

Centipede (I like the 5200 version better, but this one's OK)

Defender

Dig Dug (make sure to get the later silver label version though)

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Frogger

Galaxian

Gyruss

Joust

Jungle Hunt

Mario Bros. (this one's probably the toughest to find on the list, but it's worth it)

Millipede

Missile Command (this is built-in on the XEGS)

Moon Patrol

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Pengo

Pole Position

Q*Bert

Robotron 2084

Space Invaders

Super Breakout

Track & Field

Wizard of Wor

There's a few more ports out there, but like I said, I'm just listing the good ones.

Absolutely get the XEGS! I prefer it to the other A8 systems, since it looks more like a game console. I'm only interested in cartridge based games, so I don't even have a working disk drive.

And you don't even need a disk drive any more to play disk-based games. Just purchase a SIO2SD off eBay UK or an SDrive.

Thorsten

Absolutely get the XEGS! I prefer it to the other A8 systems, since it looks more like a game console. I'm only interested in cartridge based games, so I don't even have a working disk drive.

And you don't even need a disk drive any more to play disk-based games. Just purchase a SIO2SD off eBay UK or an SDrive.

Thorsten

Yeah, I'd like to do that at some point, but I currently lack the fundage. :)

I guess there are more games on XEGS cart than 5200, and many of those that are not on the 5200 are really well worth getting (Necromancer, Donkey Kong, Star Raiders II, Lode Runner, Crystal Castles, Eastern Front, Commando, Midi Maze etc etc)...

sTeVE

And don't forget plug and play cartridges on Atari 5200. On XEGS, you have to turn it off and on. Plug and play didn't come out until Pentium processors.

XEGS is cheaper quality product; A5200 is more robust and easily repairable. If they had only left the PIA in there.

I'd have to go for the XEGS for these reasons..

1/ 64k ram , compared to 16k on the 5200

2/ Composite video output as standard

3/ SIO port - so SIO2PC can be used

4/ PAL - the 5200 never made it out to the UK

( A 130XE would be better , but the keyboard on mine is a bit screwed up :) )

I would pick 800XL over XEGS though-- easier to expand, joystick ports are better (some joystick cables will not fit in XEGS). Is this guy in PAL countries? He seems to already have 5200. If he's only using cartridge based games (for booting up faster), he can live with 5200 and good joystick controller.

48K or 64K doesn't matter that much as there's hardly any games that use RAM under ROM especially cartridges.

If just for picture quality, I would go with the XEGS. The XEGS (IMO) has the best "stock" composite output (meaning: non-modded) of any of the 8-bit computer systems. I have owned an 800XL, 1200XL, 600XL and the XEGS. It has the best "stock" video output hands down. :cool:

As soon as you snag your xegs...go buy an atari max multicart/flashcart jobbie (i think they already come with rom games pre installed, if i doesn't it should come with a manual telling you how to get your rom games onto the flash/multicart)

I **seriously** doubt there are games already installed on the Atarimax cartridges, and it should be obvious why there would not be. I bought a 5-pack of 8-megabit carts last year, and a loose single one from Ebay this year. I have only loaded one; the other 5 never been in. However, I must admit I did not try to boot up the cartridge; I merely inserted it when prompted by the software to do so when loading the cart. I will have to dig them up and try them "blank" now. What on Earth gives you the idea that they are already loaded with games? Which games would they be, then?

As far as this guy is concerned, he has already expressed no interest in going beyond inserting cartridges. While the flash carts are indeed cartridges, they are an end which requires - at a minimum - an SIO2PC as a means. That already is "beyond" the realm of just owning cartridges. So unless they can get someone else to load their cartridge, or decide to go SIO2PC (or alternative) then I would not suggest flash carts.

As soon as you snag your xegs...go buy an atari max multicart/flashcart jobbie (i think they already come with rom games pre installed, if i doesn't it should come with a manual telling you how to get your rom games onto the flash/multicart)

I **seriously** doubt there are games already installed on the Atarimax cartridges, and it should be obvious why there would not be. I bought a 5-pack of 8-megabit carts last year, and a loose single one from Ebay this year. I have only loaded one; the other 5 never been in. However, I must admit I did not try to boot up the cartridge; I merely inserted it when prompted by the software to do so when loading the cart. I will have to dig them up and try them "blank" now. What on Earth gives you the idea that they are already loaded with games? Which games would they be, then?

As far as this guy is concerned, he has already expressed no interest in going beyond inserting cartridges. While the flash carts are indeed cartridges, they are an end which requires - at a minimum - an SIO2PC as a means. That already is "beyond" the realm of just owning cartridges. So unless they can get someone else to load their cartridge, or decide to go SIO2PC (or alternative) then I would not suggest flash carts.

Hey, perhaps you want to trade with me for one of those 8MB carts. Never tried one of those.

If just for picture quality, I would go with the XEGS. The XEGS (IMO) has the best "stock" composite output (meaning: non-modded) of any of the 8-bit computer systems. I have owned an 800XL, 1200XL, 600XL and the XEGS. It has the best "stock" video output hands down. :cool:

I haven't noticed much difference between XL/XEGS video-- a little brighter on XEGS but shading in GTIA looks the same.

My 130XE went like a XEGS system but the 800XL and 400/800/5200 machines still keep chugging along:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320389940285

So there's some quality factor involved there.

Never had a 1200XL to compare with.

• 2 weeks later...
Rather then open up a completely new thread....would it be possible to moddy a standard 5200 to be PAL and NTSC compatible and would you be able to run old 5200 games on this modded system

just curious

Yes you could but there is only I think two PAL 5200 games so it wouldn't be worth it except for the "I did it" factor.

Allan

Yes you could but there is only I think two PAL 5200 games so it wouldn't be worth it except for the "I did it" factor.

I hope you mean 'there are only two PAL exclusive games', and not 'there are only two PAL games at all'.

Well wouldn't that mean the two games will play on a PAL only 5200? Which of course is not true. I don't know if any of the NTSC games will run correctly on a PAL 5200 but I am guessing not.

I know one PAL game is Missile Command. I forget what the other ones are if there even are any. I think Tempest knows since I think he had/has one of them.

Allan

guyjin, I think you meant that there are the same titles in the 5200 pal and ntsc libraries except for 2 games which are only pal. I'm not sure how well pal games will play on an ntsc 5200 since I've never tried.

I hope you mean 'there are only two PAL exclusive games', and not 'there are only two PAL games at all'.

Well wouldn't that mean the two games will play on a PAL only 5200? Which of course is not true. I don't know if any of the NTSC games will run correctly on a PAL 5200 but I am guessing not.

I know one PAL game is Missile Command. I forget what the other ones are if there even are any. I think Tempest knows since I think he had/has one of them.

Allan

Sorry for derailing the thread (as far as I know and was told Daryl Still who used to work at atari uk has a proto 5200)

back to the thread, I read somewhere that tramiel tried to ressurect the 5200 briefly just to clear out all the unsold inventory...is this true

Also that the xegs was known as something else (aparrently the butt end of the XL/XLf family)

Who has a PAL 5200? :ponder:

As far as I know, nobody.

Allan

:ponder: :ponder:

I don't know if any of the NTSC games will run correctly on a PAL 5200 but I am guessing not.

The 2port revised motherboard has spots for the extra PAL components. If someone wanted to, they could probably figure out what needs to be added and changed to make it function in PAL mode. As far as what NTSC games would work on it, well, considering that Atari didn't even bother to make PAL versions of their 8bit computer cart games and they all seem to work fine in PAL land, it could be quite a few. Allen is right about there only being around two games that 5200 PAL proto carts exist for.

Mitch

Who has a PAL 5200? :ponder:

As far as I know, nobody.

Allan

:ponder: :ponder:

I don't know if any of the NTSC games will run correctly on a PAL 5200 but I am guessing not.

The 2port revised motherboard has spots for the extra PAL components. If someone wanted to, they could probably figure out what needs to be added and changed to make it function in PAL mode. As far as what NTSC games would work on it, well, considering that Atari didn't even bother to make PAL versions of their 8bit computer cart games and they all seem to work fine in PAL land, it could be quite a few. Allen is right about there only being around two games that 5200 PAL proto carts exist for.

Mitch

The scanline timing looks the same-- 228 color clocks on PAL or NTSC. Anyone notice any big color differences on PAL systems as opposed to NTSC version of same Atari 8-bit system?