IGNORED

Poll - 7800 Role Playing Game (RPG)

GroovyBee

84 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a 7800 RPG?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you interested in helping to develop a 7800 RPG?

• Yes, I can help with coding
    • Yes, I can help with graphics
    • Yes, I can help with sound effects or music
    • Yes, I can help with level design
    • Yes, I can help with plot, background story, characters etc.
    • No, I can only give moral support

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

You thinking a 3D style such as Bard's Tale/SSI Gold Box, or a tile based map style a la Ultima? The former probably holds more nostalgia for me if truth be told. If someone can make such an expansive game for the Vic20 (in 32K) then I'm sure it can be done on the 7800 ;)

No coding, graphics or sound from me though sadly. I can help with engine design, feature suggestions, playtesting, balance, plot devices etc... should I have the time :P

Maybe it should be multiplayer? Have a couple of 7800s hooked together via the joystick ports so you don't have to play with a split screen. You could even extend it to talk to a PC and play internet games via a proxy server on the PC :ponder: Sheer fantasy that mind.

In the chat room over at CTCW last night we talked about the desire for a 7800 Role Playing Game (RPG). I have a couple of other game ideas that I want to do first and then I could make a start on this. RPGs are normally large affairs (this isn't going be a magnum opus project believe me - life is too short for that BS) I'm just interested to find out if anybody else would like to contribute to the project. Thoughts, comments and suggestions please.

Hi!

I applaud your effort in this direction as the 7800 really could use a role playing game. If I could interject my 2 cents,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't do any kind of "NES type" of RPG for the 7800.

The 7800 is an AMERICAN gaming system and needs a good, old fashioned, american type of rpg, NOT a clone of a Japanese rpg. So I humbly BEG of you to do an RPG of the following type,

1) Bards Tale or Wizardry type

or

2) Ultima Type.

Thanks and good luck!!!!

Adept Rapier

:)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't do any kind of "NES type" of RPG for the 7800.

The 7800 is an AMERICAN gaming system and needs a good, old fashioned, american type of rpg, NOT a clone of a Japanese rpg.

Why? That'd be like saying the NES shouldn't get Ultima (which has already been done of course) because it's an American game on a Japanese system. What country the system's from shouldn't be a factor at all.

In fact, I'd like to see a JRPG on the 7800, it'd certainly be different for a change.

The 7800 is an AMERICAN gaming system and needs a good, old fashioned, american type of rpg, NOT a clone of a Japanese rpg. So I humbly BEG of you to do an RPG of the following type,

But I'm English so its going to have bulldogs, spitfires the queen and cups of tea in in it :lolblue:.

But I'm English so its going to have bulldogs, spitfires the queen and cups of tea in in it :lolblue:.

LOL! Those are all fine as long as the fighting is NOT turn-based! ;)

I don't want to pigeon hole the 7800 its a capable machine for its age. It can handle whatever game is created for it (by making the best use of MARIA).

Well I wasn't claiming it couldn't handle it, I was claiming it shouldn't. It's like having someone say they want to set aside a bunch of their homebrew time for the Saturn. They're willing to work on it and want other people to do the same with them. The community steps up. The game? A generic grey coloured FPS about a space marine shooting aliens in a space ship. Yeah the FPS is a fairly underserved niche on the Saturn, but what percentage of Saturn hardcore fans really play the Saturn for its FPS library as opposed to its import RPG one, or fighters and shooters? Already in this thread two people have said they'd buy a 7800 for an RPG. The rest of us have a 7800 for what it already does.

I realize this is making me sound like an ass, which is the opposite of my intention in explaining myself. Given that I can contribute nothing but money for the final product, and given that I will buy an RPG for the 7800 in any case, simply because it is on the 7800, I basically have nothing to offer to this project at all. Thus, my criticsm of an idea from those who actually are or can contribute something probably sounds pretty bad. All I'm saying is I'd rather see that kind of effort go into a new shooter, platformer, or three arcade ports, all of which I would also buy. Feel free to tell me to shut up now. I won't get offended or uppity about it. :)

@AtariFever:

I have at least one other full game (besides the birthday game) to do before this gets started as well as get my 7800 "C" development system/library out so others can use it. So you'll have one or more games to play in the mean time :P. Alas, I'm not particularly interested in doing a shooter or arcade ports. I'm sure others will step up to the plate to fill those gaps in the 7800 library.

The project idea seems to be well received by the AA community so I'd like to make it happen.

[ Feel free to tell me to shut up now. I won't get offended or uppity about it. :)

No you don't have to shut up at all, any input for any reason is helpful as it helps shape what direction future projects will go in. :)

I lost my job recently and am in the process of getting a business organized and hopefully up and running in the next few months, with that said all I can offer this current project is help with the plot/script etc... I will when time permits try my hand with Groovys development system when it's available to hopefully do a platformer because I too would like to see more platformers for the 7800. But i also think a RPG would be a great thing to have for the 7800.

Edited by kroogur