IGNORED

4-switcher vs. 6-switcher

mos6507

Not true - the plastic is heavier.

Exactly. I've got a light sixer with heavy shielding but that doesn't make it a heavy sixer.

My first Atari was a 4 switch wood-grain. I remember when the vader models came out and back then I felt they were 'cheap'. Today I appreciate them much more.

I never understood why any designer thought that the switches on the back would make for an acceptable user interface. Then again, I thought the same thing about the controller ports being in the back of a system with so many different controllers.

Going a little off-topic, do you think it's possible to modify the 2600 board in a way that all big 4 switches (or all 6 on a 6-switcher) are rotated 180 degrees, but work like normal... like you would press the Game Reset switch UP to toggle game reset et cetera...

I keep thinking about a major "casemod", or rather a complete new case, building it into a much smaller unit with controller ports on the front... Maybe I'll never do it, but you never know... If I'd find a second working VCS at a flea market for a good price, I'd propably give it a shot, as long as I only have that one console, I wouldn't dare it.

Edited by Herbarius

I never understood why any designer thought that the switches on the back would make for an acceptable user interface. Then again, I thought the same thing about the controller ports being in the back of a system with so many different controllers.

Going a little off-topic, do you think it's possible to modify the 2600 board in a way that all big 4 switches (or all 6 on a 6-switcher) are rotated 180 degrees, but work like normal... like you would press the Game Reset switch UP to toggle game reset et cetera...

I keep thinking about a major "casemod", or rather a complete new case, building it into a much smaller unit with controller ports on the front... Maybe I'll never do it, but you never know... If I'd find a second working VCS at a flea market for a good price, I'd propably give it a shot, as long as I only have that one console, I wouldn't dare it.

Modifying the board directly might be a chore. Remote mounting the switches, possibly on a separate PC board would be quite doable. If you really want to keep them on the board, you can cut traces and replace them with wires to implement the modified functionality.

What do you consider a good flea market price? I have a 4 switcher that I could part with. The biggest hurdle would likely be the shipping cost.

My VCS back in the day was a light-sixer. I didn't really encounter a four-switch until a few years ago, yes I knew they existed but had never used one. I prefer the six-switch layout, light or heavy, to the four-switch, but -- I must admit the single board found on the four-switch is easier to work on or hack.

My VCS back in the day was a light-sixer. I didn't really encounter a four-switch until a few years ago, yes I knew they existed but had never used one. I prefer the six-switch layout, light or heavy, to the four-switch, but -- I must admit the single board found on the four-switch is easier to work on or hack.

Even though I have about 4 of them, I still haven't used one other than to test it. Having the two switches buried on the back just seems wrong somehow.

My 1st (& only) 2600 was a woodgrain four switcher. I didn't even know there were different models until I discovered this site. All of my friends & relatives that had an Atari also had the 4 switch. It will always be my fave just cuz that's what I grew up with.

I have never used the difficulty switches.

Peace

P.S.

This should be a poll!

Good topic!

I prefer the 6 switcher from both a design and usability standpoint. It's just silly to have the other switches somewhere else, leaving the space on the front. I also really like the light 6. It's just heavy enough to feel substantial, without looking boaty.

Can somebody post up a 4 switcher, with top removed, and maybe shielding? I've been thinking of doing a case mod and building something into one of the consoles. I like the 6, but the tank like shield and how the switches are actually mounted makes this difficult. Just curious.

(or link me to some photos on a PM --don't care)

As for never using the difficulty switches? WOW! Good thing they are shipped in the easy position huh?

Controllers in the front are easier to use, but controllers in the back somehow look better to me. I'm quite sure this is just the Atari influence, but the various slots and such on the fronts of things kind of break up the form. Never liked it as much as I do back mount stuff.

Been thinking about making a cable that brings those out to the side. When the VCS is sitting on a shelf, this would be handy. And some newer controllers are a TIGHT fit in my old 6 switcher. (1980) It worries me to the point where I've thought about shaving a bit off the flashback controllers. (which are sweet, BTW)

When I was gaming on these as a kid, I always thought the heavies have the very best picture, nearly matched by the light 6. I've not owned a newer unit, but I've played on them and think the RF got worse down the line. Same for the computers too.

The iconic shape of both the 400 and the VCS are striking to me. I really love the lines. Both look futuristic, despite being quite old. The flatter models of Atari gear are very usable, but just don't stand out like those two did. For a time, I had the VCS in the office conference room. People would walk in, point and start saying stuff. Always good conversations.

We had a few good paddle games in there too. Fun!! I've got to get another and mod it for this purpose. From now on, there will be a VCS where I work :)

it apears the 2700 had membrane buttons

I thought it had capacitive touch-switches buttons like the iPod. Is that not the case?

I've read the "touch sensitive" comment too, but from all the pictures I've seen they don't apear that way at all. They all look very much like membrane buttons (including those on the controller itsself), and all have a slight indent to them as well. (the prototype models seem to use push button type switches and butons, but that's not related to the final product)

Maybe I'm just seeing them wrong, and looking at some closer pitctures, perhaps it was just the lighting on the ones I was thinking of:

atari2700side.jpg

2700buttons.JPG2700joypad.jpeg

Then again, I cant seem to find definitive info either way, wikipedia mentions it along with some other sites, but not anything particularly reputable, and atarimuseum's page doesn't mention it: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons...2700/a2700.html

http://www.atariage.com/2600/faq/index.html

Atariage's 2600 FAQ mentions it, but in the same section that theres a typo about the "3600" (should be 3200, the 3600 was a working title for the 7800) and the site that's refrenced atari-history.com no longer exists. (ill check for archives) though I'm almost positive that the previously mentioned atarimuseum is the direct successor to that site.

There are people who use the difficulty switches so much that this actually makes even the slightest bit of difference???

Some games used the switches for alternate purposes, iirc Ghostbusters used the left switch as the actuan button to leave the shop.

Also, it's nice to see what position the difficulty switches are in w/out having to look at the back.

Edited by kool kitty89

I think the big plus of the 4-switcher is it's smaller size.

However, if you ever openend one you see that the case is almost twice as big as the complete circuit board, so you have to wonder why they made it that big in the first place. From this reasoning you could also think I'd like the 2600 Jr model even more.

First of all, I have never seen that model in real. Of course I've seen enough pictures, but my opinion is: The idea is good, but I don't like how it turned out. From the pictures it looks very cheap, like a cost-minimizing model, instead of just a small but neat model. As I've never touched it, let alone owned and played one regularly, I can't say if it's really cheaply produced (and hence unreliable).

I nearly Bought an Atari 2600 Jr. I went to buy it and I realized I didnt have enough. looks rather neat though, like a small, chromed 7800, an looks pretty cool.

The 6-Switcher Seems to be the almost unamimous winner here. I personally prefer it. I will have pictures of my "Light-sixer" in my Gallery soon.

_________

|

|

|_________

| |

| | _______ SWITCHER RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| |

|_________|

Edited by Polybius

That's the difference between "heavy sixer" and "light sixer"... The heavy sixer had extra shielding than the later models.

Aesthetically I actually prefer the light sixer. The base of the heavy sixer just looks too thick to me, boat-anchor-ish.

I Agree.

I would love to have a Heavy-Sixer, but I do like the look of my Light-Sixer better.

The sixer is my choice to play with. Call it nostalgia i guess. I think Atari made it tougher when they went with the 2600 Jr. model. It's smaller and saves spaces but when it comes to fixing one you gotta hope it's not the flex circuit gone bad with it. Ultimately, 4 switch was a good idea because of it's "scaled down" internals and having less of the traditional aluminum switches. I'll be honest, I use six switchers for parts to fix the 4 switch models I get. I hate ruining an early icon but I make up for it by making at least one out of four of the consoles I work on is a six switch brought back to life. So at least some good comes out of it. :)

If that were me, I would flip it around, and part the 4-Switchers to fix the 6-Switchers.

I have a heavy, light, 4 switch WG, and Jr, and a light Sears.

I like the heavy the best, with the light Sears 2nd and then the light Atari, 4 switch WG and the Jr. last.

I'll probably sell my Jr. I never liked it much. The 4 switch is okay but it does seem like it's missing something after you are used to the 6 switchers.

I have a heavy, light, 4 switch WG, and Jr, and a light Sears.

I like the heavy the best, with the light Sears 2nd and then the light Atari, 4 switch WG and the Jr. last.

I'll probably sell my Jr. I never liked it much. The 4 switch is okay but it does seem like it's missing something after you are used to the 6 switchers.

I think the jr. looks cool, but I think the 6-switch is the best Atari

• 14 years later...