IGNORED

"classic" Xbox alpha numeric LCD add-on

Hiya. Before they disappear entirely, I'd like to pick up one of those little LCD's that bolt onto the front of a modded Xbox. It's for when you use Xbox Media Center, and it'll display song names, drive capacity, etc. I've got a green Halo Xbox, and just a few months ago I saw an online store selling the whole green front panel, with the LCD beautifully molded in like a first party thing. I've been looking all night, and I just can't find it. Any leads out there?

Thanks!

On eof my Xboxes has the Xecuter 3 in it (the others are all softmodded...). I actually don't use it for X-box games. I'm using Media Center a lot, as well as some homebrew and emulatr stuff. The X-box is great for that kind of thing.

There used to be lots of aftermarket cases out there. Mostly clear and clear colors so you can add all kinds of crazy color effects inside. One company just made a front panel with a little LCD screen already molded in so it looks like official first-party gear. Like I said, it's just a couple lines of text backlit, but very cool when you're using the X-box as a music player - it'll display the title of the song. I think that it can do that while you're using the X-box for MAME and listening to music in the background. It's just cool.

With this aftermarket stuff, there's a period where it gets to be really cheap, but then when supplies dwindle it goes up to "collectible" prices again. I'd like to grab one of these LCD's while I still can. I went to divineo.com, and couldn't find them. Any chance you'd care to send a link reaperman? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

it actually looks like I really can't post the specific link because of how their site is layed out, but if you go (here) and click on 'tuning' you can see what they have. Looks like they're "out of stock" on the preinstalled lcd faceplates, but they do still have other xbox LCD equipment in stock farther down.

Edited by Reaperman

Wow, that looks cool, I might get one, as I have a few old X-boxes laying around (but then I'd have to mod it too....so I don't know) My old day one had the disc drive finely out and out die on it, I need to get another befor they all dissappear, I love that thing, but halo for a billion hours finely killed it. :D

I'm a dunce, what's Xlink? (old XBL or something?) And how would I go about softmoding my X-box, could I use any drive in it, and still use the dash on it?

Xlink Kai

It is similar to using Gamespy or back in the day the program called "XBox Connector". It allows you to play system link games online. It creates a system link tunnel. It is actually really cool and I was playing the XBox online before XBox Live was even out (though I started using Live the day it was released.) This is how people play Halo 1 online.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

Yea...it uses your xboxs system link to play games with people all over the internet. To softmod your xbox you will need an action replay...a memory card...the usb adapter for xbox memory card...1 of 3 games splinter cell, 007 agent under fire and i cant remember the other one. you need to get the linux profile save for whatever game you have and SID 3 usuing the ction replay...once i find it all on my computer i can post it all as a bundle for you

edit: Replacing hard drives is another story...this is generally really hard but yes...you can have all of your original stuff your dash and all of your games, saves and whatever else you may have

Edited by NickH93

Yea...it uses your xboxs system link to play games with people all over the internet. To softmod your xbox you will need an action replay...a memory card...the usb adapter for xbox memory card...1 of 3 games splinter cell, 007 agent under fire and i cant remember the other one. you need to get the linux profile save for whatever game you have and SID 3 usuing the ction replay...once i find it all on my computer i can post it all as a bundle for you

edit: Replacing hard drives is another story...this is generally really hard but yes...you can have all of your original stuff your dash and all of your games, saves and whatever else you may have

The other game is Mech Assault. No platinum hits. You have to use original releases. I prefer the Ndure Installer as it is completely automatic though there may be something more recent. When I did my first softmod you had to do everything by hand from signing the font files to placing the bios loader and bios. It is a cakewalk now. The hardest part is getting the files to the memory card which is a cinch if you already have a modded box you can use.

Everything that is needed can be obtained at: http://www.xbox-scene.com

Edited by Hyper_Eye

The hardest part is getting the files to the memory card

That's why an Action Replay is handy. :cool:

Except that the memory cards included with Action Replay can cause corruption when used for transferring softmod files. Only the official MS memory cards are recommended for performing softmods (well by the community of course... MS would recommend the death penalty for modded X-Boxes.) It can be a disaster if your softmod installer is corrupted.

The hardest part is getting the files to the memory card

That's why an Action Replay is handy. :cool:

Except that the memory cards included with Action Replay can cause corruption when used for transferring softmod files. Only the official MS memory cards are recommended for performing softmods (well by the community of course... MS would recommend the death penalty for modded X-Boxes.) It can be a disaster if your softmod installer is corrupted.

True, if the AR save isn't configured correctly, it will be problematic. But it's not that hard to find a good AR save ready to download and use as-is. Heck, even on the official AR website you'll always find a few of them.

It was the method I used when I first TSOP'ed mine. Worked just fine.

Just saying, it's a workable solution if you have no other easy options and don't want to hot swap the HDD.