IGNORED

Dead STE

Just eagerly fitted TOS 2.06 ROMs when I got in from work today to discover the ST won't boot any more. Replacing earlier TOS ROMs doesn't help. Green power light comes on, then monitor reports "out of range". Presumably the video system is outputting rubbish (via 13-pin DIN to VGA in Hi-Res). As I say, power light comes on, then no further activity. Machine was plugged in (although not turned on) during electrical storm this afternoon while I was at work. Could a spike have blown the PSU or some part thereof?

...not the PSU. Just swapped it with one from my old STFM and it's no different.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Did you set the jumpers for ROM type settings properly?

No, but I've downloaded some information on how to do that. I've actually removed the TOS 2.06 ROMs to take them out of the equation and there's still no signs of life. Frustrating when I've just fitted extra memory and there's a Satandisk on the way... :x

If you stick a bootable disk inside (say, a game), do you hear the floppy loading away? (ok, chances are that it doesn't but just in case)

Signs of life... I just took the lid off and jiggled the RAM sticks around at I can get it to boot (whirring disk, etc), but after the initial white screen it dims and then reappars with a line of 33 bombs. I'm going to look up the exception code...

...trap instruction vector errors, apparently.

Working again: boots to desktop. :D

Tried it with a bootable TOS 2.06 disk and I get "Bad CRC in chip 0" followed by 2 bombs (it did that before). With a non-bootable disk it gets to the desktop no problem. Presumably something had worked itself loose...

I need to work out the jumper config for the 2 TOS ROMs. They're not identical chips, so unsure if they're Eproms or what... I'll contact the seller.

post-21964-1246556847_thumb.jpg

Edited by flashjazzcat

those are eproms allright (i can tell by how the packages look - this is CERDIP package)

You may try to PM zaxon (he lives near London, and will be able to reprogram those chips for You)

Candle near London? khym, Northolt is a important part of London !

About Atari of course i can help, no problem. But for me is easier if i see Atari on my desk.

These were tested working when I got them but even though the ST is operational again I'm still having no luck with the new TOS. Me and Chandler are trying to figure out what could be wrong. I get the exact same results every time, with various RAM configurations: an "Out of Range" video signal (blank screen) and no floppy access.