IGNORED

Problem with 4-port 5200 (bad switchbox?)

dinovelvet

I can't seem to get my 4 port 5200 to work...I've hooked everything up through the

'weird' switchbox that the power supply plugs into, switched the system on, and

the red light comes on, BUT no picture, just snow on the tv. The snow does

change slightly when I switch it on though, so it looks like it wants to work

but there's a problem with the signal getting through. I know that the switch is supposed to 'click' when you switch the system on, but it is not clicking. Any ideas?

Check the "stand by" switch on the switch box.

Also the 5200 works on channels 3 or 2 I think.....

Most other systems work on 3 or 4. Maybe I have that backwards....

Anyway, check the channel switch on the back of the 5200.

If it still doesnt work, I see www.atari2600.com sells a brand new switch for $25 or so.

Good luck! Let us know how you made out.

Charlie

I actually know what the problem is...as this is exactly what my 1st switch box did...Turns out the Op Amp and the Transitor next to the power connector on the switch box were fried. The Transistor was actually chipped! I was told by very knowledgable people that someone must have plugged an Atari 800 power supply into it. Anyway, for like less than 5 bucks and some time with a soldering Iron I was able to repair it...and it has worked ever since.

However, I also have 2 spares...should it die. I would consider trading for one of them if needed? They also all work as I have tested them with several hours of use to make sure.

Let me know...and I will find out the exact parts I used again...and let you know. Actually...I just realized...that the repair cost me nothing. I actually found the transitor and Opamp needed on an old printer motherboard in the office..that was collecting dust.

still, I know that Radio Shack and the like have these parts for fairly cheap.

@Cro§Bow, I'd like to know what you used in fixing yours! Also any details on the job, or references on the web?

I think I may have 2 switchboxes doing the same thing. It's been a while since I plugged either in, but I'm sure one of them still turns on the led on the system, but doesn't do anything on the tv. Not sure about the other. It would be very nice if I could fix these suckers.