IGNORED

5200 controller mod idea

etschuetz

Is it feasibly possible to take an analog control from a modern controller and use it in place of the analog control in the 5200 controller? I am curious about this because I have PLENTY of PSX/one dual analog controllers laying about. I am guessing that there is some hardware differences that would not allow this, but if, and that is a BIG IF, the wire connections are similar, wouldn't it possibly work?

the reasoning behind this is that all of those analog controls are self centering, and stiffer, than the 5200's. It would probably end up making so many other games out there on that system more responsive and fun.

Feedback? I am not as technically gifted when it comes to mods, so if anyone out there thinks it is possible, and can do it, let me know. I have a general idea about how to go about this, but I have a VERY limited number of properly working 5200 controllers.

Is it feasibly possible to take an analog control from a modern controller and use it in place of the analog control in the 5200 controller? I am curious about this because I have PLENTY of PSX/one dual analog controllers laying about. I am guessing that there is some hardware differences that would not allow this, but if, and that is a BIG IF, the wire connections are similar, wouldn't it possibly work?

the reasoning behind this is that all of those analog controls are self centering, and stiffer, than the 5200's. It would probably end up making so many other games out there on that system more responsive and fun.

Feedback? I am not as technically gifted when it comes to mods, so if anyone out there thinks it is possible, and can do it, let me know. I have a general idea about how to go about this, but I have a VERY limited number of properly working 5200 controllers.

it is possible to use say 100k pots if you put .01 mcfd capacitor in parallel with the pot thus fooling the system into thinking it is a 500k pot

it would be great to use a thumbstick good luck with your frankentroller ive had quite an adventure making a joystick

i eventually just made one out of arcade parts being that there are like only 6 games that require analog joystick position

i use pots and microswitches DCP_7188.jpg

analog required games

gorf,missile command,star wars arcade,superbreakout,kaboom

and of the games that need analogness i get by using the centering pots with superbreakout and kaboom

I've had some luck with the 100K pots as mentioned above. There's information on the 'net about adapting a PC analog joystick to work with the 5200. That will give you the technical info you need.

I built this controller using a thumbstick from a 3rd party Dreamcast controller:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...troller++modern

Beware of self-centering. Physical centering on the stick isn't going to correlate to centering on the screen. Here's a project I did that had "trimmers" to adjust logical center (on screen) to match physical center (joystick):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...200++controller

Edited by BigO