IGNORED

MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers XBL Arcade

16-bit

Since there wasn't a newer thread on the topic I figured I'd start one.

Has anyone else gotten this yet and/or tried the demo? I really enjoyed it. As someone who plays MTG on a weekly basis, I feel they did a good job of making a simple way for people to learn to play MTG and enjoy some very casual games. Granted some of the premade decks they provide you with aren't very good, but they're mostly balanced with each other, except for maybe the Nissa Revane elf deck.

I would have liked to see some more deck customization, or at least the ability to take some cards out of the deck, rather than just being able to add cards in. Though I suppose it's a fine line to walk between customization and making the game too confusing or complicated.

The graphics are nice, as are the animations. It's definitely better than Magic Online as far as looks go. Campaign co-op and the online multiplayer are nice additions. I also enjoyed the challenge mode.

If you're someone who enjoys Magic or wants to learn how to play, I highly recommend it. :D It's 800 Microsoft pts btw.

Edited by 16-bit

I really liked it.

I've never played an actual game of Magic in my life, but the game inspired me to pick up some actual decks to check them out.

I agree with you though, I didn't like the fact you could only add cards. I liked the way Culdcept Saga worked where your deck had to be a certain number of cards and you just built it up from all your cards. Still the art is great in this game and it's really fun.

I tried the demo and it was good but not worth buying in my opinion since its just too slow for me. Im an old Magic player so for me it was very good especially the way they teach newcomers but too slow to be fun (the pacing, waiting for the cards to flip etc). I also agree with the deck customization. :(

I still have a lot of decks from the old days and I luckily have someone to play for real if I have to so I am passing on this one unless the price gets cut in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

It glitched many a time on me but I enjoyed defeating each and every Planeswalker lol...

One thing that really ticked me off was their phases... in actual magic tournaments you would get many phases

Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Main Phase 1, Attack, Choose Attackers, Defend, Choose Defenders, Main Phase 2, Cleanup/Discard/End of Turn

In this game you get 5.

Begin, Main, Attack, Defend, Main/End

ALSO, you could not choose what land to tap. It was tapped automatically.

It glitched many a time on me but I enjoyed defeating each and every Planeswalker lol...

One thing that really ticked me off was their phases... in actual magic tournaments you would get many phases

Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Main Phase 1, Attack, Choose Attackers, Defend, Choose Defenders, Main Phase 2, Cleanup/Discard/End of Turn

In this game you get 5.

Begin, Main, Attack, Defend, Main/End

ALSO, you could not choose what land to tap. It was tapped automatically.

Yea, the lack of phases takes a while to get used to, especially with activated abilities like regeneration. I think there was also one instance where I couldn't play two cards I had in hand due to the auto land tapping.

Again, I guess it comes down to simplifying the game enough to get more non-magic players into the game. It's not a bad start for now. Hopefully at some point they'll have some new decks available as downloaded content. It would add some more variety.

16.......I have been leary of purchasing this game as I don't have a large quality screen. I have difficulty in reading text in MANY games (I use component cables, but that doesn't really help on a 20" screen) Is the text of the cards set, can you increase the size to read it easier? I know I need to invest in a new TV, but as long as I can stand my current set I won't.............the longer I procrastinate......the cheaper it will be for an HD set.

Is the text of the cards set, can you increase the size to read it easier?

Yes you can choose a card and it will pull the card out and front and center zoom.

Very nice for reading cards.

Also when damage is being dealt between creatures, the cards are both brought up for you to see up close. Not quite as close as the zoom view moycon mentioned, but they should be readable on a 20" TV.