IGNORED

Converting XL to 5200

doctorclu

I think there was a couple of issues of one of the american atari mags (can't recall which one) that had a fairly comprehensive article on 5200 to A8 i think (or was it the other way around)

The article(s) were later reprinted in LACE (London Atari computer enthusiasts) newsletter...in issue 42 (might have continued in 43 or 41)

I think there was a couple of issues of one of the american atari mags (can't recall which one) that had a fairly comprehensive article on 5200 to A8 i think (or was it the other way around)

The article(s) were later reprinted in LACE (London Atari computer enthusiasts) newsletter...in issue 42 (might have continued in 43 or 41)

Awesome, can I find those online, or do you have these issues and can you scan them for me?

the magazine is analog

the lace newsletter i have but i have no camera or a scanner

and it was written by AA member ClausB...nice job

Hmmm... what could I do to get you to photocopy and mail it? :)

would it be possible to convert the xegs cartridge games (the ones adapted from old A8 disk games) that are atari 800 compatible (except the ones that use xl/xe bank switching like gato,airball, thunderfox etc) and recode them for the 5200

I think most of those games only went up to 48k

Edited by carmel_andrews

would it be possible to convert the xegs cartridge games (the ones adapted from old A8 disk games) that are atari 800 compatible (except the ones that use xl/xe bank switching like gato,airball, thunderfox etc) and recode them for the 5200

I think most of those games only went up to 48k

my dream game would be a 3 player rampage

Since the cartridge interface is so limited on the 5200 and there is only 16k RAM its likely you would need an internal expansion module of some sort to upgrade the internal ram to 32k or 64k before those larger games could even be a consideration.

Even then it would not be trivial to port such large games via dis-assembly.

Steve

Agreed. Does the 5200 cart port have a write line?

Ideally, something like a passthru device could give 4 banks of 16K in the $4000-$7FFF area, then have a cartridge that has multiple banks in the $8000-$9FFF area.

Then again, with today's technology, do away with the cartridge and just have a plug-in RAM unit and SD card reader.

I wonder how difficult it would be to expand the memory of the 5200 to 64K. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. It wouldn't to useful obviously until someone ported a game. It would be cool knowing you had the only 64K Atari 5200 in the world. :D

Allan

i'm guessing that since the 5200 was based on the 800, it had the 800's bank switching (not the cart bankswitching) which if mem. recalls was at D800 (the cart bankswitching i think was at d500)...or perhaps these were moved on the 5200 (like all the other stuff above BFFFh was)

If this were so, i think that using more ram space in the cart and the 800's bankswitch (where ever it is in the 5200) it might be feasable to doing a 64k game

Well I was looking at it from 6502 point of view meaning can have 64K bytes of addressable RAM without bankswitching. There may be a 5200 specific thing that makes it more difficult to add memory but that is beyond my tech knowledge.

Allan

You can't just add memory in a cart and have it appear in an unused area - the system architecture is such that addresses are decoded such that onboard Monitor ROM is around the high $Fxxx area, IO chips are $C000-$DFFF etc.

Additionally, Atari carts for their 6502 based machines don't carry sufficient address lines to handle 64K anyway, 15 address lines = 32K, so that's all that would be supplied.

The 400/800 unmodified do not have bankswitching (besides the case of cart ROM automatically taking precedence over system RAM) - in the case of back-switchable cartridges that is entirely handled on the cartridge. The CARTCTL line is activated on $D5xx accesses which can chip-select latches to handle bankswitching. That was probably the intent of the design in the first place, but can be used for other things (e.g. like selecting an offboard Pokey contained on a cart)

Edited by Rybags

You can't just add memory in a cart and have it appear in an unused area - the system architecture is such that addresses are decoded such that onboard Monitor ROM is around the high $Fxxx area, IO chips are $C000-$DFFF etc.

Additionally, Atari carts for their 6502 based machines don't carry sufficient address lines to handle 64K anyway, 15 address lines = 32K, so that's all that would be supplied.

The 400/800 unmodified do not have bankswitching (besides the case of cart ROM automatically taking precedence over system RAM) - in the case of back-switchable cartridges that is entirely handled on the cartridge. The CARTCTL line is activated on $D5xx accesses which can chip-select latches to handle bankswitching. That was probably the intent of the design in the first place, but can be used for other things (e.g. like selecting an offboard Pokey contained on a cart)

I didn't even see any WRITE signal on Atari 5200 cartridge slot so adding memory is limited to read-only memory unless you add some jumpers from motherboard.

Pin 4 - R/W Early

Really, you could devise a kickarse cart - something along the lines of 256K static RAM, and a small bootstrap ROM that handles an SD card interface.

But the question is "Why"... even such devices on the computer line struggle for support and people interested in buying them.

And you'd end up with a situation where games would be developed for a market in the dozens, and the games would be widely different from a programming perspective from a computer based equivalent.

No point really. 5200 owners should be happy with what's out there (legacy), and the occasional conversion that trickles through. If you're serious about Atari, you buy an XL or XE computer.

Edited by Rybags

Pin 4 - R/W Early

Really, you could devise a kickarse cart - something along the lines of 256K static RAM, and a small bootstrap ROM that handles an SD card interface.

But the question is "Why"... even such devices on the computer line struggle for support and people interested in buying them.

And you'd end up with a situation where games would be developed for a market in the dozens, and the games would be widely different from a programming perspective from a computer based equivalent.

No point really. 5200 owners should be happy with what's out there (legacy), and the occasional conversion that trickles through. If you're serious about Atari, you buy an XL or XE computer.

Well, the whole 'to small of a user base so don't bother' argument could be used for all classic game systems and computers. Why develop for the 8-bit Atari computers when you can develop for the X-box 360? We do this for fun so why not. If your a big 5200 you would love to see such development. Being a fan of the 8-bit computers I would think you would have understood that. Just look at the VBXE. How many people are going to use this thing? Maybe 100 if they are lucky. It's still cool that they are developing it and the people that will use it will be glad it was made.

Allan

Pin 4 - R/W Early

The "R/W Early" is on the expansion port.

Since the expansion port is basicly an SIO port, I am assuming you couldn't use it to add something like more RAM or sound processor like on the 7800 cartridge port?

You could add RAM or pretty much anything else via the expansion port, as long as you didn't mind a very small window to work with it in. There isn't really any reason you couldn't hang 128kb of ram off it and access it in 256 byte segments with minimal hardware.

A internal expansion like the 7800 X-Board would be more useful IMHO, at least if we are talking about porting games. Something with ram windows large enough to double buffer screen data at least.

Steve