IGNORED

Another PJ Monster's thread

Mendon

Pixel Junk Monsters is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm totally addicted to it. Recently, I decided to take a break from all other game playing to concentrate on completing getting a Rainbow on every level of PJ Monsters and PJ Monsters Encore. So far, I only need to rainbow 4 levels.... 1 on PJM and 3 on Encore. And these levels are driving me absolutely BONKERS!!!

Last night I worked on two of the levels:

Eruption Destruction on PJM (Special Lvl #3) where a random tower is destroyed at the end of every wave. I have tried so many different tower placement variations and yet I'm still not close to rainbowing this level. Having Fire Towers is a must on this level and the damn volcano seems to always take out one of those, not a cannon or arrow tower. And because I'm constantly replacing expensive fire towers, I run low on coins towards the end waves and don't have enough to replace a destroyed fire tower, and one monster or the boss gets thru. GRRRRRRRRRRR

Speed Monster on PJM Encore (Special Lvl #2) This is a small level where all of the monsters run at an INCREDIBLY FAST speed. Again, I've tried different tower placements and somehow no matter how I place them either one spider or one golem gets through every time. And it doesn't help that the game seems to place coin and gem tree's near the edge of the map so that when you release the coins/gem, they disappear over the edge of the map where you can't get to them. GRRRRRRRR

Last night, I even watched the YouTube video's by Delriach for these two levels and duplicated his tower placement AND when he placed them exactly and still I didn't rainbow these two levels. GRRRRRRRR

I still ABSOLUTELY LOVE this game and will not give up, no matter what. Once I've rainbowed all the levels, I'll go back and try the Trophy Challenges and see how I fare on those.

Just curious if anyone else is still playing this game and if so, how are you doing?

Mendon

I've been playing this game as well as the Encore expansion since they were released. This is by far the best download on PSN and even perhaps XBLA.

It gets played every week by everyone in my house including my kid. At least once a week.

We have finished all levels, got all the rainbows and I have unlocked all the trophies.

For the trophies I used Youtube for the harder ones. I remember the Eruption Destruction level and that was pretty hard. Its beatable if you know that patterns and paths of the monsters. You definitely need flames on that level especially in the lower southeast area.

If you need info let me know.

It boggles my mind that nobody's talked about it here to the degree that other games are.

To me its an instant classic like Pac-Man and Super Mario.

Couldn't agree with you more, Cimerians. Even if you beat the game (or a level), there is still a challenge to try something different to beat that level....such as trying different towers or to see if you can beat a level without using a particular tower... and to improve your score. Fantastic game!!

I'm just about ready to give up on rainbowing Speed Monster, though. No matter what I try, one or two creatures always manage to get thru my defenses, somehow. Right now, its the little green creatures on wave 14 or 15 that are getting thru. As I said, I even watched the YouTube video posted by Delriach and duplicted his tower placement (arrow, cannon, and hive), which wave to place which tower, and the strength of each tower and still one or two creatures manage to get thru. Sometimes its a golem and the next time a spider and the next time a bat....different almost every time.

I've read other posts that state that one successful pattern for one person may not work for others... that there is always a very slight variation in timing in the monster movements from game to game and that this small variation might mean a cannon shot hits three monsters one time and only two the next. And after watching Delriach rainbow the level and me being unable to duplicate his successful method, the "variation theory" might be true.

I must have tried this level 50 or 60 times this week and I'm reaching a frustration point, so its time to shut the game down for a bit and come back in a few weeks or so and try again.

Though frustrated, this game is incredible and I won't stop playing. Somehow, someway, I'll rainbow all the levels.

Mendon

UPDATE: I gave Speed Monsters a couple more tries before moving on and finally rainbowed the level... YAY!!

I used a hive tower plus a couple fire towers.... I hadn't researched Fire Towers before, instead using my coins to upgrade existing towers..... and was able to clear the level.

1 level down... 3 more to Rainbow!

Mendon

The speed one is one of the hardest levels along with the lone 4 tree level. I think the final level on the 2nd island is also hard.

If you beat both islands a small center island becomes available which allows you to enter a code (anything you wish) for a random game, so you can pretty much play this game forever.

:D

Finally rainbowed and completed the entire game! Whew.... what a blast. Frustrating at times but always, always fun and addictive. I still have the Trophy Challenges to complete but those can wait for another day as just rainbowing the entire game was my goal.

I'll be checking out PJM for the PSP and hopefully its as good as this version has been.

Mendon

The trophy challenges are very fun but a bunch of them were too hard for me so I resorted to Youtube.

Yeah I can't wait for the PSP game that will have a new island, I wish they would release a new island for the console version too.

The only thing that I think I may not like on the PSP version is that you have to scroll the map to see whats coming, Im not sure how fun that will be

because I'm used to seeing the entire map on the screen. Hopefully they adjust the game because of this and its still fun.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post that Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe releases tomorrow, Thursday Oct. 1st, for the PSP. Its download only and I'll be checking out the PSN Store constantly until I download my copy.

The only reservation I have on this version of the game is that I've heard you **might** have to scroll to see the entire map. Supposedly they have come up with a unique way to get around this and I hope so. But no matter what, I'm still buying the game as PJM is one of my Top 10 favorite games!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Your right Mendon and thats the only reason I am a bit hesitant on it because I dont like scrolling around on tower defense games especially (I can imagine) on a handheld.

I'll probably buy it anyway, its just so much fun. In fact the PS3 version is the funnest downloadable game I probably ever played. Pac-Man Championship on the 360 comes close.....

Defense Grid on the 360 is pretty cool. The graphics are really nice.

I probably will get Defense Grid at some point I'm trying so damn hard to not spend more money but they keep coming out with cool games.

Yep I didn't think I would like it because you have specific bays to build you turrets, unlike Crystal Defenders where you could put em anywhere you wanted as long as it wasn't in the path. Turns out the way DG works is way better because you can actually "shape" the way the enemies walk. I totally beat that game just going through each level, but a bonus is, after beating the level they throw a bunch of other scenarios at you. Like :Tougher Enemies, Reverse level, Practice, Green Towers Only, 10k and no resources, etc.... So even though I totally beat the game and got all the achievements, I'm still playing it! I thought maybe it was in the Sony store as well, but it sounds like maybe it isn't. That stinks. Great game. Well worth the $10

I think Crystal Defenders is available on the PS3, That's a decent game as well if you like these types of games.

I don't think the South Park one will be available on PS3 though.

I only tried the demo of Defense Grid and couldn't make up my mind if I really liked it enough to buy it. The game had some nice graphic's, varied layouts, many different towers, and you could affect the path of the enemies by placement of the towers.

But one thing I didn't like was the fact that if you killed an enemy carrying a power core, another enemy could pick it up and head right back for home. I lost several cores while playing the demo just because I killed an enemy carrying a core near the entrance and couldn't kill the new enemy who picked up the fallen core because there was no way to build enough towers at the entrance to kill him, especially if he was a heavy armored enemy. I felt these core losses were sort of "cheap losses".

You might want to give a long look at Savage Moon. I tried the demo and wasn't sure I liked the game. I read the Savage Moon forums and the more I read, the more interesting the game seemed. So I took the plunge and bought it. I played it for about an hour and felt like I wasted $10 as I just couldn't get the hang of it and the game was handing me my butt.

Then suddenly I got a "feel" for how to really play the game.... forget how you played PJM as it doesn't help in this game..... and I began to really, really like the game. I actually began to see defense strategies, see how towers should be placed, discover the best towers for certain enemies, learned how to direct the flow of enemies into crossfire's, was beginning to win some games (even hand the enemy THEIR butt at times), and was having a blast.

There are many varied towers... many varied landscapes.... many varied enemies..... differing game modes..... you can affect the path of the enemy by tower placement.... and much more. Though Moon is similar to PJM with ultimate goal... defend someplace or someone..... its gameplay is different enough to make it not just another clone or knock off.

Do I like Savage Moon better than PJM? No way, no how... PJM is a classic unto itself. But Savage Moon is a blast to play also and I recently purchased the expansion, Waldgeist, which adds new scenarios, towers, and enemies.

I did try Comet Crashers at a friends house and didn't care for it at all. Though the game had a nice twist, in that you not only defended your base but could also attack the enemy base, I didn't care for the graphic's, the gameplay, the scenarios... I just didn't like the game.

I tried the demo of Crystal Defenders also, but didn't care for it either.

I'll stick with Pixel Junk Monsters and Savage Moon for now.

Mendon

UPDATE: I took the plunge (even at $19.99...OUCH) and am downloading Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe right now. Will post my thoughts after I've played it some.

Edited by Mendon

I only played the tutorial and 1st level of Tiki Island so this is a very early impression:

It IS Pixel Junk Monsters!!

Looks very, very, nice & sharp on the PSP.

You move either with the analog nub or the keypad.

The maps are bigger than the screen but as you move away from your base, the screen will scroll with you so that you can see more of the map... you don't have to manually scroll. It works very well, in my opinion..... so far.

You now have a Tiki Room where you can see all the goodies you win within the game by defeating challenges.

You open up the new island, Gati Gati Island by getting 5 Rainbows. You open up Toki Island by getting 10 Rainbows

Online Mode has co-op and menu options include Quick Pick, Room Search, Bookmarks, Friends List, and Create Room. Haven't had time to try online yet.

As I said, this is my very early impression after 20 min or so and I'm satisfied so far. Yeah, $20 is a steep price but its PIXEL JUNK MONSTERS!!

Mendon

I wish you could also play this on the PS3 but I guess I might stop today and pick up cables and see what it looks like on the TV.

• 2 weeks later...

To all those that said the first two islands on Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe are "just a rehash of the PS3 islands"....HA! DOUBLE HA!!!!

They put new monsters in some of the levels, including new 20th Wave Boss monsters. I just ran into a new 20th wave Boss on Special 2 on Tiki Island (won't do a SPOILER) and it took me VERY much by surprise.

PJM Deluxe is EXCELLEMT!!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

• 3 weeks later...