IGNORED

Replacing Heavy sixer springs

SnapCraft

OK, so I have 2 Heavy Sixers, 1 for storage, and 1 for playing. The only problem is that the crappier one that I use for playing has busted springs on the Select and Reset switches.

I don't want to solder in new ones (which I know are available). I want to replace the spring. I'd rather not try to replace the V-shaped spring underneath. (I can't figure it out). So I've bent back the metal prongs and I want to either use a standard spring in the center track (and put some kind of blockage on the top and bottom of the switch) or use a compression spring in the center track and just loop it around the top and bottom.

I thought a spring in a standard pen would work, but it's to thick. And now a week later, I'm reaching out to you guys. Anyone able to restore the spring effect in a Heavy Sixer without soldering in a new switch?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

i was playing a few games this afternoon and decided to finally take a look at my broken reset switch spring problem. opened up the case and could see the busted spring piece hanging out of the game reset switch. pulled it out with tweezer and tossed it.

got an idea. the cable that runs to the tv is underneath the reset/select switches. got a rubber band. looped it around cable where it exits the case (bend it around the cable and pull one side through the loop of the other, thus 'attaching' it). pulled the loose end up around the circuit board edge and looped it around reset switch. seemed to work fine. put the case back together and it seems to work perfectly.

:-)

2 disclaimers...

first, you need to find a rubber band that's the right length....not one too thick with too much tension.....not too short so that it's too tight. just a fairly thin rubber band, maybe 3 inches long when laying flat on a table.

second, it's obviously a shorter-term fix. i'm sure the rubber band will go bad with time and need to be replaced in a year or two or three. but it works great right now, and it's sure easy to just replace it with another one down the road.

Actually the springs are pretty easy to replace in the old switches. Just loosen one side of the switch and slide the spring down until it rests on the center of the post, then use a thin knife to push it down while you are closing the switch, tighten the sides again, and you are ready to use. Takes all of about 5 minutes. I do it quite often to the consoles I get in that are missing springs.

You can buy the springs at hobby stores or an actual electronics supply, NOT Radio Shack.

Edited by Benzman66

• 2 weeks later...
Actually the springs are pretty easy to replace in the old switches. Just loosen one side of the switch and slide the spring down until it rests on the center of the post, then use a thin knife to push it down while you are closing the switch, tighten the sides again, and you are ready to use. Takes all of about 5 minutes. I do it quite often to the consoles I get in that are missing springs.

You can buy the springs at hobby stores or an actual electronics supply, NOT Radio Shack.

Fabulous! My heavy sixer came with *no* springs in it and I wasn't looking forward to making my own since I don't even know what they should look like. Is there a certain name for the type of spring that I should ask for at the hobby store? Does anyone have a picture of one?

--b9

Yeah, a model number, store, picture -- all would be nice.

A glimmer of hope?