IGNORED

Sliencing a Mega ST2

Trying to use this computer to write MIDI music and the fan noise is driving me up the wall. :x

Any known method to getting these units silent?

Why was the ST1 fanless and ST2 not? I can't imagine the extra ram causing more heat. Do they have different PSUs?

I would consider either pulling the plug on the fan, or replacing it with a silent fan?

Thanks in advance! :D

Maybe just replace the fan.

Sleeve bearing fans tend to be quieter than ball bearing fans although the penalty is they don't last as long.

But given it's a 20+ year old machine, the fan is probably worse for wear regardless of what type it is.

Another option is to just slow the fan down a bit. You could go all 1337 and put in a trimpot, or just go the easy way and put a resistor in to drop it's voltage (and speed) a bit.

Maybe just replace the fan.

Sleeve bearing fans tend to be quieter than ball bearing fans although the penalty is they don't last as long.

But given it's a 20+ year old machine, the fan is probably worse for wear regardless of what type it is.

Another option is to just slow the fan down a bit. You could go all 1337 and put in a trimpot, or just go the easy way and put a resistor in to drop it's voltage (and speed) a bit.

ALL mega ST's had fans, if your mega st 1 didn't have one then it had been removed

best solution is to buy a new quieter type, i have done this with great results

the dimensions are standard and are commonly used in small electrical devices

good luck :)

ALL mega ST's had fans, if your mega st 1 didn't have one then it had been removed

best solution is to buy a new quieter type, i have done this with great results

the dimensions are standard and are commonly used in small electrical devices

good luck :)

That's interesting. I've read on many occasions that the ST1 did not ship with a fan.

Anyway, I'd really like to have this machine silent.

What type of fan am I looking for and where would I begin to look for it?

Thanks!

hello , i re-pack all my stuff ,

its easy ,

dis-assemble the st then use a pair of tweezers or something to pull apart the fan , once inside its a typical sheilded bearing and all it needs is a squeeze of heavy duty bearing grease.

this is called repacking!!

this has some resistance in fan speed becaus ethe grease is soo thick , but it does work ,, check the little whit cap on the power suppliy's capasitor , it likes to vibrate around too!

but midi eh ?

we should work out some song/melodies/bdrum beats ... i do midi stuff alot and use atari too..

whats your favorite midi program?

charles