IGNORED

Atari and commodore versions of the same game...which is better

Action Biker

Pretty much the same graphics barring the lower colour count and the music on the C64 has far more to it, making it the superior version.

But there are many more objects to collect in the Atari version before you can start the race, making a much longer and more challenging game. In fact, I do not know which one was first!?!

But there are many more objects to collect in the Atari version before you can start the race, making a much longer and more challenging game. In fact, I do not know which one was first!?!

i remember them being around the same length, are you sure about that...? i'm pretty sure the C64 version was out first because i got the A8 version on the strength of playing it on a friend's machine.

i remember them being around the same length, are you sure about that...? i'm pretty sure the C64 version was out first because i got the A8 version on the strength of playing it on a friend's machine.

I have here an old magazine with an Actionbiker hint map. The last object for the C64 is number 20: 'Turbo Charger'. The Atari version continues with 'Cooling Fins, Indicators, Mirror, Two Tone Horn' etc. until reaching a total number of 40 different objects. You get also a gadget which allows to pass over the lake and collect an item on the island.

Time to replay that? ;)

I have here an old magazine with an Actionbiker hint map. The last object for the C64 is number 20: 'Turbo Charger'. The Atari version continues with 'Cooling Fins, Indicators, Mirror, Two Tone Horn' etc. until reaching a total number of 40 different objects. You get also a gadget which allows to pass over the lake and collect an item on the island.

Just fast wound the video PeteD posted to 6 minutes in (of a 15 minute video) and the item just collected was the turbo charger so the game doesn't stop there; 6:16 sees the player getting the cooling fins, 6:38 is the indicators and around 10:06 is where he gets the water skis to let the bike drive over the lake (and the item collected in the lake is at 10:22-ish).

Time to replay that? ;)

Looks like you need to, yes. =-)

Just fast wound the video PeteD posted to 6 minutes in (of a 15 minute video) and the item just collected was the turbo charger so the game doesn't stop there; 6:16 sees the player getting the cooling fins, 6:38 is the indicators and around 10:06 is where he gets the water skis to let the bike drive over the lake (and the item collected in the lake is at 10:22-ish).

Seems that the magazine (even it was an 'instance' here in GER) is wrong then! To put the blame on it:

"Happy Computer 3. Spiele-Sonderheft: Spiele-Tests"

Page 136

Sorry about that

Irgendwer

Certainly due for a remake.....to address the lack of colour and deformed camel sprites....which I hear is 30% complete on the grapevine :)

Minter's already gone back and redone it, the AMC2 subgame in Batalyx (released a year after AMC on the A8) is more colourful than the C64 original, smoother, can handle more camels and they can jump!

Hmmm it's not really the same game anymore, and the camels still look 'funny' I'll pass on Minter's efforts, his peak was in VIC20 and A8 coding obviously.

(best not to look at his PD-looking Amiga and ST games at all...keep hope alive! lol)

Jeff's "original" plattform in 1983 was still the vic...that's why I tend to use the vic code... maybe I should have a look on the c64 version but even the c64 guys say that it is ugly... maybe our new reference for "which game is better"... ;)

btw... one of the earlierst g2f commercial games was AR and Neverending Story (!).

Hmmm it's not really the same game anymore, and the camels still look 'funny' I'll pass on Minter's efforts, his peak was in VIC20 and A8 coding obviously.

Well i'd disagree totally there; despite it being me who sort of talked Heaven into porting Metagalactic Llamas from the VIC since that's the best version, i've also put a huge amount of time into games like the two Revenge of the Mutant Camels titles, Batalyx and Iridis Alpha on the C64 and the third, almost forgotten installment of the 'Runner series is my personal favourite, Voidrunner on the C16. Even AMC on the C64 is playable as far as i'm concerned, just not very well executed.

Jeff's "original" plattform in 1983 was still the vic...that's why I tend to use the vic code... maybe I should have a look on the c64 version but even the c64 guys say that it is ugly... maybe our new reference for "which game is better"... ;)

Or we could use Revenge 2 where there isn't a year gap between C64 and Atari 8-bit versions... [evil grin =-]

Hell, i'm in the process of setting a website up dedicated to topics like this, with the plan being to keep these discussions in one platform-agnostic place where it won't nark off the moderators! Some of these discussions are, from a programming standpoint, something of a goldmine as regards information (even if some of what is said is rot) and for quite a few people it's part of the nostalgia of owning an 8-bit too.

Let us know when that site is up! :)