IGNORED

Feedback on my website VCS-Homebrew - Only temporary open for a few hours!

Yes! i'm hosting a website that i've worked on for a while from my own computer so it's not a permanent host and up time.

The website is supposed to be a place where authors can put their homebrew atari games on with info and links for download url or/and place to buy cartridge if available.

It will be very simplistic and pure.

VCS-Homebrew!

Give all the feedback you can! Spelling, grammar, sizes, bugs, suggestions etc..! This would help a ton!

Oh if you want to have your game added at the premier just follow the instructions available on the contact page :)

Thanks!

It looks very nice.

But I think the content is much too low as there is too much space wasted in the header where the cartridge is. Maybe you could make the cartridge a low smaller and remove the shadow to gain some space, but I'm not a designer.

Tried it again. Its working now. A few comments :-

- Header too large causing the user to scroll the page to get information.

- The menu should not require scrolling to get to.

- The menu should be on the left hand side (or at the top).

- Too much white space.

- Don't use *.rtf files, use editable *.pdf files or online forms.

- "no sorting as stated in the about section" - I think you should sort the games alphabetically at least. Not everybody wants to scroll through lists of games to get to the one they are interested in.

- Do not use words like "ain't" or "love from" in site related documents :lol:. Its not very professional.

- Do not use "mailto:..." directly in html. Bots will harvest your email address and you'll get lots of spam. Use javascript/php to produce the email addresses from code as required. Bots aren't that sophisticated yet.

Edited by GroovyBee

It looks very nice.

But I think the content is much too low as there is too much space wasted in the header where the cartridge is. Maybe you could make the cartridge a low smaller and remove the shadow to gain some space, but I'm not a designer.

Yea i discovered that in my blind world of 1920 x 1200 resolution :P

Tried it again. Its working now. A few comments :-

- Header too large causing the user to scroll the page to get information.

- The menu should not require scrolling to get to.

- The menu should be on the left hand side (or at the top).

- Too much white space.

- Don't use *.rtf files, use editable *.pdf files or online forms.

- "no sorting as stated in the about section" - I think you should sort the games alphabetically at least. Not everybody wants to scroll through lists of games to get to the one they are interested in.

- Do not use words like "ain't" or "love from" in site related documents :lol:. Its not very professional.

- Do not use "mailto:..." directly in html. Bots will harvest your email address and you'll get lots of spam. Use javascript/php to produce the email addresses from code as required. Bots aren't that sophisticated yet.

I thought people where afraid of the big scary PDF files lol.

About the sorting. I'm looking for a nice PHP solution for it, so i might just implement a nice filtering system etc.. But that will take a while sens im quite new in the PHP world.

Thanks for all the feedback :D

Update!

- I learned my self some more PHP, and we got our selfs automatic alphabetic order :D

- Added another gadget made out of PHP wich basically shows a random image every time you update or go to another page. Why? Don't know :P Maybe it can show a random screenshot of a game in the list? Or dear i say adverts? hah

- Took the atari cartridge and stuck it as a welcome thing (i guess it is) instead of a headerish beast. Umh gonna do something smart with it tho.

- Added a temporary Feedback gadget on the contact page, it uses twitter. (at least temporary position, i think it's functionality is great).

What i need that you might be possible to help out with:

- A written form that the author need to fill in and send to me. (only need the text, i can design a PDF out it my self)

- Agreements that the author will be agreeing with if he/she wants to put his or her game on the website. (yea i don't really know what those will be about)

- Suggestions on what other info might be good to know about a game.

Suggest features! I want it to be nice for everyone.

Some more points :-

- Get rid of the cart picture you have to click on to get into the site. I hate those with a vengence. When I visit a site I want information and I want it now ;). If the site has some sort of welcome screen I'll just bookmark the site beyond that page and I'll never see it again.

- Don't go straight to the "About page" when you get to the site. I'll visit that once or twice when I want to. Do not force visitors to your site to view information they aren't interested in. Maybe randomly select a game and display a picture or a small blurb about it. Nothing obtrusive.

- It needs a border between the site's tile and information pages.

- It needs to highlight what console section you are in e.g. small title at the top of the page and highlight the menu on the left.

- Get a good logo designed for the site.

- Maybe include reviews of the games from purchasers (not sure how that would work if you don't control the final purchase though). Do not allow reviews from people who haven't paid for the game (if you go down that route).

- Maybe allow links to movies of the games in operation.

Some more points :-

- Get rid of the cart picture you have to click on to get into the site. I hate those with a vengence. When I visit a site I want information and I want it now ;). If the site has some sort of welcome screen I'll just bookmark the site beyond that page and I'll never see it again.

- Don't go straight to the "About page" when you get to the site. I'll visit that once or twice when I want to. Do not force visitors to your site to view information they aren't interested in. Maybe randomly select a game and display a picture or a small blurb about it. Nothing obtrusive.

- It needs a border between the site's tile and information pages.

- It needs to highlight what console section you are in e.g. small title at the top of the page and highlight the menu on the left.

- Get a good logo designed for the site.

- Maybe include reviews of the games from purchasers (not sure how that would work if you don't control the final purchase though). Do not allow reviews from people who haven't paid for the game (if you go down that route).

- Maybe allow links to movies of the games in operation.

Notes taken

Are you developing on that server? It behaves strange sometimes.

I see the header 'VCS-HOMEBREW' gets cut off a bit on the top (IE7).

It's hosted on my own computer as i work with the site.

Is it always cut off? Because IE7 does not have the greatest reputation when it comes to showing sites the right way. (as the code says its supposed to be shown)

(gonna be editing that part now so it might go crazy for a while)

Edited by Linkert