IGNORED

fat princess

Reaperman

well according to the PS Blog fat princess should be hitting the store later on today (jul 30), is anybody else a bit excited about this one?

I've got to confess that I'm a digital download convert recently and I've been wanting this for a bit. Videos make it sound kind of like a cartoony multiplayer realtime strategy/action title. Variety of classes, one goal kind of stuff. The best part is that it doesn't seem to take itself as seriously as a lot of other multiplayer games do, which make it look like fun rather than work.

Edited by Reaperman

well it came out today. Truth be told there's a bit of lag quite often, and sometimes you can't get online at all.

Rooms are so full of people that the game is more of a multiplayer beat 'em up than any kind of strategy game. The computer seems to like doing most of the resource gathering (not much is really needed), leaving the human players open to bashing eachothers brains in. It's a very hectic pace, and the maps generally feel crowded.

I guess the first and biggest issue is that this game has been hyped beyond what it can live up to. Playstation home events, multiple playstation store trailers, being featured in their online video mags--and when the game came out it obviously had some serious online issues, and some map scale issues.

overall the humor in the voice acting is my favorite part ("They're in our base killing our d00ds!"), but I still haven't decided if I really like this game or not. I'd better let the online rooms settle a bit before I really decide. It's certainly got it's share of 'neato' factor though. The most important parts are that the control is simple/effective, graphics are crisp/clear, and the whole game is pretty easy to pick up...even if everybody is lagging around like chickens with their heads cut off at the moment.

Edited by Reaperman

no local multiplayer, just single player and online.

there are various single player modes (with drones), but online multiplayer is the top option on the menu for a reason. Story mode is freaking impossible thanks to drone AI that tries to create an endless stalemate. (you don't even have to participate, your team won't lose) There is an option to adjust difficulty on the 'build a single player scenario' mode which makes it a bit better. Then there's some lame survival mode too.

I promise that offline will provide little to no entertainment value. I was stuck there for a good portion of last night when I couldn't create/join games. really the single player trouble stems from the fact that it's *VERY* hard to win without a massive teamwork push from one side, and in single player mode 3 AI drones follow you around (poorly), and that's it. Maybe they will patch that...

Where online even your own base turns into a total meat grinder when it gets swarmed by a dozen or so of the enemy.

Edited by Reaperman

So it sounds like this game isn't worth the $$ is that what I am reading?

haven't fully decided yet. I know I have more fun with battlefield 1943 for the same money/online mayhem ratio (and fps isn't really my bag). also when I tried to hype myself into playing Fat Princess today, my body wouldn't do it, and I took a nap instead. But that may be overstuffed maps talking. I'll have a final answer a week in, assuming I can make myself play it again.

I'd certainly not be in a rush to purchase this title at any rate.

Edited by Reaperman

I'll have a final answer a week in, assuming I can make myself play it again.

Wow not encouraging.

My guess is the makers of the game were relying on the negative press to get people to get the game instead of making a great game to get people to buy the game.

I was really excited about this game when first announced and followed its development for several months. But as I read more and more that it was an "online intensive game", I lost interest as I rarely play games online.

From what I've read so far, Princess sounds alot like Calling All Cars, Age of Booty and Crash Commando's.... all have single player modes but these modes are worthless as the developers spent very little resource time and money on developing the mode. And thats okay.. I have no problem with online only games.

BUT... with PSN, I've found you must be careful: online multiplayer will be a blast for a month or so and then die out pretty quickly. I own Calling All Cars, Age of Booty, and Crash Commando's and when I did play them online, they were a blast. But all three seemd to dry up after a month or so of their releasing and today all are pretty much ghost towns as very few people play them anymore. I'm not sure if XboxLive has the same problem or not...maybe it depends on the game as I know of many people still playing Uno regularly.

Anyway, I learned my lesson with the other "online intensive" PSN games I purchased and will pass on Princess.

Mendon

• 2 months later...