IGNORED

Atlantis Day Pic?

StanJr

Albert and I are trying to corner the market on Atlantis Day Pic carts, so we have to keep the rarity low.

In all seriousness, in some cases we didn't feel we had enough data to raise a rarity level when it was initially added, and this is one of them.

Anyone else feel this is harder to find than the night pic?

• 9 months later...

Atlantis Day Pic is very hard to find if not impossible this is when Imagic first released Atlantis. The first production run of these carts had the day pic but the reason it is more rare is because, the day pic was also included and standard on the intelivision system. IMAGIC decided to change the Atari 2600 version of the game picture to the Midnight night label.

The midnight label witch I own with no stars in the upper sky on the left hand side and a raised dome at the bottom this was the second production run of the game (It was a dark label) if you wish I will submit a scan of this cart this was a very short run. The third production run of the cart was the one with the common night label (the box with the contest sticker on it).

Atlantis 2, there were only 10 people who qualified for this contest and only 10 to receive Atlantis 2 making this the #1 most rare Atari 2600 game it had the same label as the third production run.

I was one of those people who qualified for Atlantis 2 and have my original paperwork from the contest it is diffrent from the ones posted on the site. I have a Silver IMAGIC at the top of my letters and a diffrent letter than the ones posted.

Dustin,

P.S. I own one of each cart (1 st - 3 rd production run) and and Atlantis 2 cart.

This should be an 6 or 7 as there were very few in the first production run that were made estimated at 5000 copies total were made before the label was changed to the midnight label. Iwill try to scan all 4 copies of my carts to post the diffrences between them all. Midnight Label estimated at 10000 copies and night label with stars estimated at 250,000 copies sold.

I've been to stores and flea markets that sell old Atari carts and I only came across 1 in all the time I've been colecting carts the night label is very easy to find the day label, well GOOD LUCK GUYS IF YOU FIND ONE HOLD ON TO IT IT'S VERY RARE.

If you want a day label though you can find one on an intelivision box or cartrige.

Dustin

looks like the 3rd cart is a night one.... but still 2 on ebay right now, i think they are not all that rare maybe a 4-5

boy, HH, you don't miss a thing on ebay! :P 8)

Take care,

rick

E-bay ok, well lets see 1 of them is a night pic the other has an instruction manual thats a night pic and only one of these carts is and original if I were to bid on any of these it would be this one and you have 5 days left lets see what it goes for when the bidding is done.

Bid on the one with the day pic on the instructions and on the cart as this person has received one of the original 5000 copies made.

Remember I did not say it sould be a 10 just a 7, 5000 copies with the day pic is a lot considering Atlantis II there were only 10.

Dustin

E-Bay is a very large community of sellers even Atlantis II shows up there once in a while Quadrun, Crazy Climber and some of the rarest carts. Although, I am not claiming that this is so rare it wont show up on E-bay. Remember the most rare carts show up on E-bay 8's 9's and 10's do show up. Now that we cleared that up.

Try finding this cart at you local flea market or try finding Quadrun or Crazy Climber thats what the original Post is about. You can't find these carts Including Atlantis Day Pic you'll go through hundreds if not thousands of night pics before you find a day pic.

E-Bay,,, Thats the easy way to pic somthing up wait until someone posts it then bid the highest. You get it period...

Remember just because somthing shows up on E-bay does not make it common just last week two Crazy Climber carts were there and one Quadrun. These are rare and show up on E-Bay also.

Atlantis day pic cannot be defined as rare as Quadrun nor am I saying it is, as you needed to purchase quadrun through Atari back in the day. if you dident you dident get it. I don't think this cart was released in stores but I'm not sure of this so I won't say it was or was not. This is not about quadrun.

The relevance to this debate is not to say weather it will show up on E-bay it is though to ask a question is this cart so common that it should be classified a (2). I think not!

Dustin

Rick,

I did not forget about ya rick I know you wanna see my letters posted for Atlantis 2 and I'm sure you wanna see the midnight label of atlantis I will post these here after I scan everything in and shrink the files so there not a gig a peice.

Did not forget rick just been busy but I will post em.

Take care,

Dustin :)

found it after i posted...tried to edit the post, but the forum decided to go on vacation for like 5 min before it edited the post...so how does that one compare to the day label and the midnight label?

Don't know but I just checked and I have 10 extra copies of this game and 5 of them are the text label version. :ponder:

this whole thread is just confusing...i don't think it has any accurate info other than the numbers CPUWIZ stated saying he has 10 extra copies..lol.

Where did you get production numbers and why was the text version not mentioned in your equation?

:ponder:

We were only discussing the picture versions they were made in the early days of the company (IMAGIC) the text versions were made after the contest ended.

All Imagic carts switched to text or blue lables after the initial production runs as the pictures simply cost more, with the videogame crash that started back in late 1982 and continued into 1984 all companies were looking for a way to save on production costs to sell their product for less, but this could not even help them. I remember picking up cartriges from my local ZAYRE store for around .25 cents during the great videogame crash. most were .25 to .50 cents per cart, there were giant bins of carts that nobody wanted.

As far as the numbers are concerned Imagic was one of the few great company's I followed when I was a kid and Atlantis is still one of my favorite 2600 cartriges for the system along with Demon Attack, Cosmic Ark.

The numbers are taken from memory I remember well at least I think I do Electronic games stating why the atlantis pictures were changed for the Atari 2600 because to avoid confusion between the 2600 and Intelivision versions since the boxes were both silver with the same picture on them.

The numbers are not finalized I know that 5000 1st run were made though and the midnight label was made but too dark so it was changed again it happend fast though. The third run was the one with the contest this I am absolutly positive of, and only 10 Atlantis II cartriges were made for the contest winners, This I am absolutly positive. The one thing for sure that I can say I am not positive of is this the total number of atlantis cartriges produced from the start of the company, the one with the contest was 250,000 copies as I do remember reading copies sold to date at the end of the contest (This contest never finished).

After the first stage of the contest ended though they continued to sell these carts with no pictures on them and the blue lables were made this is what makes the blue label rare it was sold at the end of the companys life.

You can come to your own conclusions you can take this information or leave it, is it creditable though, well that's up to what you think I can say this though I followed IMAGIC as they were one of my favorite companys other than ATARI back in the early days of ATARI. If you asked me about Activision and what they did I would say I Don't know or ask me about another company my answer would simply be I Don't Know, but IMAGIC I know them well.

Also considering I worked for an Atari dealer reparing Atari computers and 5200's and controlers we got a lot of newsletters from Imagic and Atari. This was one of the best jobs I had when I was a kid.

Dustin ;)

• 2 weeks later...