IGNORED

Yars' Revenge rollover!

Room 34

Hey all... I know it's been a long time since I've posted much around here, but I just had to share my enthusiasm over the fact that I just rolled over Yars' Revenge for the first time!

I think the reason it took me so long is that when I was younger I never had the patience to keep playing, my mind would start to wander, and I'd make stupid mistakes. This time, I at least waited until I hit 1,000,000 to let that happen.

My final score was 1,049,448. The game took about 1 hour to complete.

Variation 6, of course... ULTIMATE YARS!!!!

That is the only variation I can stand to play.

I think before this my high score was about 380,000. I got on a roll where I could usually nail the swirl in mid-air as soon as the new screen came up. I kept wavering between doing that several times, getting up to 9 bonus lives, and then getting off on the timing, screwing up repeatedly, getting down to 3 lives, and then getting on another roll back up to 9 lives.

I was really just playing to kill some time while I was waiting for a DVD to burn on my computer. But when I got up around 300,000 I decided to go for a new high score... then I got up to 700,000 and by that point I was determined to roll it over. As soon as it rolled over, my focus disappeared and I squandered 7 bonus lives in about 30 seconds.

It's easy to slip up after rolling the score because the difficulty goes back to the easiest level. The difficulty is based on score, not a level, so when your score goes to "zero," you're used to the pace of the hardest game (Qotile launches three times, sometimes instantly, and changes direction) and suddenly it's slow again.

It throws off a gaming-zen state. :)

It's easy to slip up after rolling the score because the difficulty goes back to the easiest level.  The difficulty is based on score, not a level, so when your score goes to "zero," you're used to the pace of the hardest game (Qotile launches three times, sometimes instantly, and changes direction) and suddenly it's slow again.

It throws off a gaming-zen state.  :)

Actually, that's not true with Yars' Revenge, at least not game 6. The shield stayed pink, and the frequency of the swirl and the speed of the missile (or whatever it's called -- that little line thing) stayed the same as they were before the rollover.

I DO know that rolling over Asteroids resets the difficulty. Obviously with Asteroids, the difficulty is constantly checked against the current score display, but with Yars', it seems like it just gets switched at the appropriate intervals, and once it's pink, it's pink for good.

(I'm sure someone can analyze the code and give us the actual answer to this... I am just describing what I experienced when I rolled these two games over.)

Next target for rollover: Defender! (That one will probably take a while for me.)

BTW, Stan -- thanks! I have missed being here. Now that my job actually requires me to DO something, I don't have as much time for AA!

I don't think I ever scored above 500,00 because I'd always break the game with the initials. Oh, well, Congrats!  :)

Phil

That's funny... as a kid I never figured out that you had to be near the bottom of the screen for the Easter egg to happen, so I only got it 2 or 3 times ever. Once I learned (on this site) the trick, I am much more prone to doing it accidentally! I had to focus almost as much attention in my million-point game on avoiding the EE as I did on avoiding the swirl!