IGNORED

Graphics Mode 12 Overlay Code Required

snicklin

A Super Cars type game would be cool - used to play that and SC2 on the Amiga all the time.

Half the fun was building up all the weapons and performance upgrades as you went along.

I just took a look at it on Youtube and it looks a good game, though maybe a little out of Atari's league.

Snicklin, Looks similar to John Andersons Rally Speedway (but without some of the scenery, going by the screenshot)

I've got that game on cartridge! It's not a bad game at all. One thing that I didn't like with the game though was the resolution that it used. I can understand why though with the playfield being so large. I am a fan of the scenery in it, oh, and his gesture after crashing!

I shall add some more scenery into my game when I've done the more important parts of the game.

PS. If you take the VSCROLL bit off the last Display list line, you will avoid the "popping" onto the screen, and get smoother scrolling. Do this in the Atari800Win monitor to check it out: C 648 D4

Keep programming!

Thanks, it looks a lot better without it. I've not had time to work on it tonight apart from 5 minutes or so, so here's the new version with no "popping". Thanks for that Shawn, it's a good (and quick) improvement.

AtariFormula1.zip

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any progress with this great car racing game project?

Hi Philsan,

Hmm... well, not as much as I would have liked. And the word "great" can't be applied just yet!!!

There's been a lot of code changes under the hood and not so many that you can see on the screen itself. I've had to restrict the game to 2 cars rather than 4 due to speed purposes.

Improvements made (under the hood) include:

1) Multiple levels

2) Level data compression (depending on the complexity of the level I can compress down to around 60 bytes or so for 4 screens worth of data)

3) Better car handling

4) Very much improved build environment

5) Level selection with console key (which did work but has stopped working properly recently)

6) No screen corruption, which I was getting before.

7) Surface sensitive movement - i.e. Goes slower on grass than on road.

8) Fix to the "sliding" motion when going diagonal (not 100% fixed though)

9) No driving off the screen

I've done a bit of analysis of other games and one thing that I could use the other PMG's for is "flyover" sections of road. I need to think about how to implement that though.

My current tasks are:

1) Line by line colour schemes and compression of the data required for this.

2) Linking in RMT for some music. I'll probably put in some dummy music and then ask someone else to create a song (when the game is nearly complete). I'll need some car sound effects too.

3) Use missiles for the car windows ???

And current bug fixes required:

1) Sliding when going diagonal (code is there to stop this, but some values need tweaking)

2) When ran in Atari800Win, the screen origin is wrong (though not in Altirra)

3) Sometimes when turning in one direction, you spin in the other direction.

4) If you're next to the grass but actually on the road, it sometimes slows down thinking that it is on grass.

5) 2nd car corrupts when going on/off the screen.

6) Level selection needs fixing (corrupt level data)

Please see attachment (Open in Altirra, not Atari800Win)

atariFormula1.xex

Edited by snicklin

Played it a bit and even made 3 laps in time under 2:30.

So, any progress?

Sorry Miker, I haven't seen your message until now!

I think it's a shame that a lot of the work that I've put in can't be seen in the demo that I've provided. It will help me towards my goal of finishing this game though.

EDITED - and one other bugfix is that it doesn't crash when keyboard input is given. Thanks to those who helped with that.

Edited by snicklin