IGNORED

xbox bummer

Zeptari

I've stopped buying X-box games altogether, yeah, the 360 playes some, but as about half the games don't work, and it seems all the ones I want to play don't work, what's the point? The 360 as an emulator is a bad Idea, as unreliable as it is anyways.

Yeah, I have my day one X-box still, no I can't play games on it, it's drive is just about worn out, to bad too, tons of great games that don't work on the 360 (munch, Mech assault, some of the classic compilations) And I live in shithole USA, meaning no used game stores to pick another one up at, not that I have room for it anyways.

Yeah, I have my day one X-box still, no I can't play games on it, it's drive is just about worn out, to bad too, tons of great games that don't work on the 360 (munch, Mech assault, some of the classic compilations) ...

At least you can play MechAssault 2. :) Just as much fun

What game was it?

1 game not on the list of almost 400 possible playable games :P Bad luck indeed. Still have your original xbox?

jedi knight 2 jedi outcast,

nope i gave my old xbox to my brother in-law...

Ah, that sucks. Odd that they made Jedi Academy playable but not Outcast. Most of the Star Wars games were pretty popular.

Maybe try NE146's idea and get a used one at Play N' Trade, or Gamestop sells refurb units for 40 or 50 i think.

I broke down a few weeks ago and bought an original Xbox at a yard sale for $30. It came with two controllers and a set of generic multi-console component cables. Not a bad deal. There are enough good Xbox games that don't play on the 360 or are too glitchy on the 360, that it makes sense to pick one up cheap.

I may eventually set up a new cabnet for my crap, then I'll get another X-box. Mech Assault was my favorite, and I still wonder why there hasn't been a new one for the 360, they weren't exactly churning out one a year, but the X-box had two, and we still have none on the 360? What gives.

As for emulation, eh, feck it. Either do it right, or leave it out, but don't halfass it. I hope they do one or the other on the next system, I honestly think the only reason it was even partially worked on on this one was so Microsoft could resell digital versions of X-box games easily....to bad the games I give a crap about I already own hardcopys of :P

I may eventually set up a new cabnet for my crap, then I'll get another X-box. Mech Assault was my favorite, and I still wonder why there hasn't been a new one for the 360, they weren't exactly churning out one a year, but the X-box had two, and we still have none on the 360? What gives.

As for emulation, eh, feck it. Either do it right, or leave it out, but don't halfass it. I hope they do one or the other on the next system, I honestly think the only reason it was even partially worked on on this one was so Microsoft could resell digital versions of X-box games easily....to bad the games I give a crap about I already own hardcopys of :P

I really don't think they had the idea to sell digital versions of XBox games until a while into the life of the 360. If they had seriously considered doing that they would have floated it by the media sooner than they did and it wouldn't have taken so long into the life of the console to get some of them onto Live. I think they genuinely wanted to achieve 100% compatibility. I don't think they quite anticipated how slow and hard that work would be and how expensive it was going to be for them to do it. But they did make 478 games backwards compatible and most of them work very well. I have a large number of XBox games and I have played a lot of them on the 360. Still, I recognize that BC is far from perfect and in retrospect it may have been best not to do it at all. Except that they really had to make Halo 2 work on it. I don't think they had any choice there and if they hadn't done that I think the first year would have been a failure for the 360. If they decide to go the BC route next time it will be different as they made sure to use hardware and get licenses that will allow them to do hardware BC.

I don't think they quite anticipated how slow and hard that work would be and how expensive it was going to be for them to do it.

Also keep in mind MS knew how many people actually used the BC and it became evident early on it wasn't popular. We here at AA, folks who collect games from systems made in the 70s like that stuff, most people who buy a new state of the art system, buy it to play the latest greatest games. We are the minority.

I don't think they quite anticipated how slow and hard that work would be and how expensive it was going to be for them to do it.

Also keep in mind MS knew how many people actually used the BC and it became evident early on it wasn't popular. We here at AA, folks who collect games from systems made in the 70s like that stuff, most people who buy a new state of the art system, buy it to play the latest greatest games. We are the minority.

I don't know about it being unpopular, I saw tons of people getting rid of their PSX/s when the PS2 come out, but I still don't know of a single person IRL that doesn't have, and play, at least one PSX game on their PS2.

True, they mostly won't play the whole library on the new console, some games don't age well, so I agree at least some games (halo2) had to work,even if they included a disc with a er...customized Halo2 as a packin or whatever, as the 360 simply had no "killer app" when it was released. Not dissing it, I love the library, they just didn't have the big names on launch.

Software BC has never been done effectively, mostly due to needing more than one generation difference in order to have enough raw power to properly do emulation, so hardware is really the only way to go, but still, either way, do it right, or don't include it.

I never complained because of how good the emulation was on the 360, it was because of how bad it was. I don't care about one or two games (or a few dozen) but seriously, had the 7800 been only 50%....would BC have been so great on it? How about the huge legacy of GB stuff? None of it was 100%, but I've never seen anything as bad as the 360 was.

Edited by Video

True, they mostly won't play the whole library on the new console, some games don't age well, so I agree at least some games (halo2) had to work,even if they included a disc with a er...customized Halo2 as a packin or whatever, as the 360 simply had no "killer app" when it was released. Not dissing it, I love the library, they just didn't have the big names on launch.

I would say that CoD2 was a pretty strong release title as one of the highest grossing titles that year with 1.4 million units sold within the first year. Obviously that still didn't make it a Halo killer and I still think Halo 2 had to work when the system was released. Still, CoD2 sold a lot of systems.

Software BC has never been done effectively, mostly due to needing more than one generation difference in order to have enough raw power to properly do emulation, so hardware is really the only way to go...

That isn't true. The 360 is capable of emulating the XBox and that has been shown. A lot of the most hardware intensive games on the system are emulated and run great. Some examples are Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Black, and Morrowind. I have played all those games and even played Half-Life 2 on it from beginning to end (and later played the 360 version all the way through as well) and it played perfectly. Half-Life 2 absolutely pushed the XBox to it's fullest. Even developers at MS have admitted it is not an issue of the 360 being capable. The problem is that the process is very slow due to the difficulty in debugging games on an emulated system when you can't see the game code and can't change the game code. Emulation is also quite complicated to implement.

...but still, either way, do it right, or don't include it.

I strongly and completely disagree. 50% of the library works. That is worth having and I'm glad it is there. I have played completely through XBox games on the 360 upscaled to HD and it also adds full AA. I don't agree that it has to be all or none. I am happy to have the games working that do work and I would be pissed if they removed it and many other people would be as well. I believe that they intended to do what they believed they were going to do when they said 100% of the library would be working. I believe the money for making it happen simply ran out.

I never complained because of how good the emulation was on the 360, it was because of how bad it was. I don't care about one or two games (or a few dozen) but seriously, had the 7800 been only 50%....would BC have been so great on it? How about the huge legacy of GB stuff? None of it was 100%, but I've never seen anything as bad as the 360 was.

At least all the 360's can run the same games (as long as they have a hard drive.) I can't tell which PS3 is capable of what. I would rather have all models run 50% of the previous generation games than different models run different ones differently.

Yeah, but Sony won't ever have the whole"if I buy this game, will it work on my BC console" thing going on, cause they either worked, or didn't.

If Debuggin is really the issue, then it would make FAR more sense to just have the emulator turned fully on, and have a list of "known fully compatible" games, rather than having over half the library turned off.

It just goes to show we got different taists, maybe you are ok with 50%, cause the games you like work, I'm not, because the games I like...well...don't work.

Yeah, but Sony won't ever have the whole"if I buy this game, will it work on my BC console" thing going on, cause they either worked, or didn't.

If that is true for the PS3 what is this site for: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Just typing in some games off the top of my head there are different problems pointed out that effect different SKU's of their console. On the 360 the BC games work the same regardless of SKU. And how hard is it to go to the XBox website and look through the list for a game to check if it is BC or not? The list is pretty simple to read. If you aren't sure what game you might want to get you could print the list or look it up on your cell phone or ask the store clerk to check on it. You could use your brain. That would help.

If Debuggin is really the issue, then it would make FAR more sense to just have the emulator turned fully on, and have a list of "known fully compatible" games, rather than having over half the library turned off.

Then you would be in here complaining that you put a game in and it froze up your console or you played half-way through before getting to a part that was broken and impossible to bypass. It is better to not boot games that don't work imo.

It just goes to show we got different taists, maybe you are ok with 50%, cause the games you like work, I'm not, because the games I like...well...don't work.

So every single game you like doesn't work? You haven't found a single game in over 400 titles that you like? I have a ton of XBox games and a lot of them don't work. I have my original XBox to play those. But a lot of them do work and are upscaled to HD and have full-scene AA. I'm glad that I can play those games on my 360 with those nice enhancements. If you would rather it be all or none then don't use it and your problem is solved. For the rest of us that are glad to have it stfu.