IGNORED

Atari 5200 Combat II Advanced

Albert

http://www.atariage.com/development_page.h...evelopmentID=44John Swiderski of Mean Hamster Software is working on his second Atari 5200 game, this one based on the Atari's unreleased Combat II for the 2600, but further enhanced for the Atari 5200. Combat II Advanced has support for up to four players (on a four port 5200), new vehicles, and new weapons. The vehicles include tanks, jets, helicopters, and submarines, and each vehicle type has several different battlefields to choose from. The game is about 95% complete and is expected to be released by Christmas. You can view screenshots of Combat II Advanced here .

http://www.atariage.com/development_page.h...evelopmentID=44John Swiderski of Mean Hamster Software is working on his second Atari 5200 game, this one based on the Atari's unreleased Combat II for the 2600, but further enhanced for the Atari 5200. Combat II Advanced has support for up to four players (on a four port 5200), new vehicles, and new weapons.  The vehicles include tanks, jets, helicopters, and submarines, and each vehicle type has several different battlefields to choose from.  The game is about 95% complete and is expected to be released by Christmas.  You can view screenshots of Combat II Advanced here .

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wah000!!! Finally, another 4 player game! When I purchased my first 5200 back in the 80's, I was really looking forward to utilizing all 4 ports. I was VERY disappointed that the only game that used all 4 was Breakout. To top it off, there was combo or multiplay :( I have Sean Kelly's Multicart with Asteroids and the 4 player mode is fun! I'm expecting great things with Combat II Advanced, so I hope those involved take their creative and technical time to give us another great product!

When that's done, how about 5200 Warlords? Perhaps an enhanced mode that combines Warlords and Breakout? You have 1-4 players and each controls one side of the screen or corner of the screen. The center of the screen has some sort of prize surrounded by rotating layers of bricks or something similar. Players receive points by attacking their opponents or hitting the prize...bah..I could think-up plenty of possible scenarios...time for me to get back to work...

- VD

This looks really cool.... too bad I don't have any one interested in playing 5200 with me. :-) Combat is a 2 player game. :-(

Charlie

Combat 2 on the 2600 is a 1 or 2 player game, so maybe there'll be a 1 player option on this version?

Well guys, you be happy to know there is a AI opponent in Tank mode that you can play against in 1 - 3 player modes. The phantom Tank! :)

There is also and alternate scoring method for those of you that liked Combat 1 better than Combat 2. There is Combat 2 Style 3 lives mode and then combat 1 style spining death sequence and a score board.

I also managed to incorporate some custom display interupts to color it up a bit. Some screens have as many as 12 colors!

Wah000!!!  Finally, another 4 player game!  When I purchased my first 5200 back in the 80's, I was really looking forward to utilizing all 4 ports.  I was VERY disappointed that the only game that used all 4 was Breakout.  To top it off, there was combo or multiplay :(  I have Sean Kelly's Multicart with Asteroids and the 4 player mode is fun!  I'm expecting great things with Combat II Advanced, so I hope those involved take their creative and technical time to give us another great product!

When that's done, how about 5200 Warlords?  Perhaps an enhanced mode that combines Warlords and Breakout?  You have 1-4 players and each controls one side of the screen or corner of the screen.  The center of the screen has some sort of prize surrounded by rotating layers of bricks or something similar.  Players receive points by attacking their opponents or hitting the prize...bah..I could think-up plenty of possible scenarios...time for me to get back to work...

- VD

Nice Avatar there voiddweller.. Joystik is one of my favorite classic mags of all time. :)

Yeah I got all the 5200 controllers I would need (due to constant buying of them as a kid to get new working ones)... the only problem is now I got no one to play it with! :P

Any chance a rom of this would be released for those of us who like playing 5200 games on the Dreamcast emulator? :D (my 4 5200's are inaccessible at the moment)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been involved in the Combat II Advanced testing and it's shaping up to be a GREAT game! The 5200 has always needed a good multiplayer Combat game (Countermeasure just doesn't cut it IMO). I especially like the combat choppers, they are fast and mean, and there are lots of good hiding places behind the buildings :twisted:

Don't miss this one!

calamari