IGNORED

Yar's strike - new game !

Thelen

I know it's been since June 26th since there last was a post of this now iconic game and thanks to both @Thelen for inspiring you 8-bit and us 5200 owners to have one of our own and @playsoft made it happen for us 5200 owners to enjoy in which has been downloaded hundreds of times off multiple threads with the ROM of it since then, and I want to share it with all of you guys in the initial voyage of my now hit YouTube channel, The Atari Report. I started it months ago, with both a 2600 Edition and a 5200 Edition, and since have amassed 47 loyal subscribers (and counting hopefully with some of you guys jumping onboard) and an official endorsement from the Atari 5200 Podcast and will soon launch both 7800 and 8-bit editions as well in the short future as soon as I save some $$$ for both a 7800 ProSystem and an XEGS system so I can enjoy all of your games as well, but I thought about inviting you guys to watch this debut clip I did several months ago, I hope @Thelen and @playsoft are watching, I have polished up my presentation skills since then!!!

All 3 ROMs of Yar's Strike are available including both of @Thelen's original 8-bit versions as well as @playsoft's 5200 version as shown right here on this clip, I also have links to the YouTube videos of both of @Thelen's versions of this game and I have seen both so you can see how much it has progressed, who would've ever though a little 4K minicomp project would become so big over 10 years after it was first put out as his initial voyage into 6502 programming. Thanks to both of them for making this great game!!!

Ray Jackson

AtariAge user ID: BIGHMW

Host of The Atari Report

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW22q4hD1AhsdRkno-SLFw/

Yar's Strike - Original 8-bit Version.zip Yar's Strike - 8-bit Version.zip Yar's Strike.bin

• Like 2

Both videos of @Thelen's version of Yar's Strike are right here to enjoy so you can see how far this iconic game has come along since he came up with it back in 2009. Thanks @Thelen!!! I hope you'll enjoy (and endorse) @playsoft's 5200 rendition that he did for us Big Sexy owners and when I get an XEGS system and launch the 8-bit Edition of The Atari Report (and the 7800 Edition of TAR as well) I look forward to trying and reviewing both of your original versions of this game too!!! 

On 10/6/2020 at 11:46 AM, gambler172 said:

and now a 7800 port ?

How about actually going to the 7800 Forums and somehow lobbying to get Yar's Strike done for the 7800 much like I did for the 5200 in 2016 (and successfully did!) and maybe somebody can do it, I'd download it in a heartbeat since I already have the 5200 and 8-bit versions, in which are right here, and I'm also including the original 2600 Yars' Revenge as well in case someone has a better idea.

Here is the original thread that started it all for me back in 2016, as you can see, almost a whopping 80% of those who answered my poll, wanted one, and sure enough, earlier this year, after finding @Thelen's original 8-bit versions last year and lobbying hard enough, @playsoft came through for me, we 5200 owners have been thrilled since, who knows, maybe someone will make a 7800 version happen if you lobby hard enough!!!

YarsRevenge.bin Yar's Strike - Original 8-bit Version.zip Yar's Strike - 8-bit Version.zip Yar's Strike.bin

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Sorry for digging up such an old topic, but after 12 years I (hopefully fixt-can't reproduce the glitch anymore) fixt the shield glitch. Also added auto detect PAL/NTSC (GTIA) detection, and with select to switch between them. When I saw the nasty greenish-shield picture of an NTSC 8 bit runniung it, I was encouraged to make a little change.

Yars Strike pal-ntsc.xex

Edited by Thelen
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, Thelen said:

Sorry for digging up such an old topic, but after 12 years I (hopefully fixt-can't reproduce the glitch anymore) fixt the shield glitch. Also added auto detect PAL/NTSC (GTIA) detection, and with select to switch between them. When I saw the nasty greenish-shield picture of an NTSC 8 bit runniung it, I was encouraged to make a little change.

Yars Strike pal-ntsc.xex

Thanks for the update Lennart!

(12 years has passed since my comment too... times goes by...) 

• Like 1

Nicely done Lennart!!! THIS is what Yar's Strike SHOULD look like!!! Finally we here in NTSC-land (US/Canada get to play (and see) it in the form you originally created it in back in '09, well done......even that glitch is gone too, in fact, the first play I've had of this version, I made it to level 3, the graphic glitch in the rotating levels (2, 4, 6, and 8 ) is now gone too!!!

• Like 2