IGNORED

I'm so jealous of everyone on here that grew up with classic games

gloriousconnor

1 hour ago, zzip said:

There's nothing like the sound of walking into an Arcade back in the day.   The sound of all those classic games blending together.  And yes, they had a unique sound that the home systems could never seem to replicate.

PRGE was even better, though. The massive arcades I visited in the early '80s had either way too many screaming kids running around (and spilled pop on the floor) or, even worse, surly older teens who would hog the machines and never give you a turn on the cool titles. The only downside was some twentysomething who took a look at me (late '40s) and asked with a drawl "soooo, when did you become a gamer?" :roll:

Nostalgic threads are fun, but it's just as much fun to use these machines today, and usually much easier to do so. Modern mods & developments are amazing and mean that we can experience the entire library of consoles and platforms, should we have the time to do so, instead of just being limited to 1% of the library on a physical format that could take up to five minutes to load. Do I not miss cassettes! I once spent entire hour to load Zaxxon...only to have it crash half-way through my first game. Ugh.

I note with excitement that someone (who?) has developed a USB-Lynx power cord. Finally! With developments like that, and the various multicarts, there's little excuse not to just use the Lynx (McWill'd or Venned, or course), for Lynx gaming. It's not unthinkable that we'll get something similar with other platforms (I'm waiting for my Spectrum Next), too. 

• Like 1