IGNORED

!DEMO! SUPER MARIO BROS 2600

bongomeno

I've made yet another modification, this time i have multicolored sprites and the

playfield has green on the bottem to make grass

your sprite is too big. it causes the game to think he fell in a hole when you jump under the platform.

are the colors messed up? the coins and shrooms are black. and mario is pink and purple.

also I changed the grass to green already on the version ima release soon. and the button control too.

EVERY single one of those are either incomplete or dont even resemble super mario.

At least in mine there are many screens, mushrooms to jump on and coins to collect........... I plan on finishing this! and if yall dont like it then TOO BAD. lol :twisted:

AND REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY A DEMO!

in the end it will be:

added screens, music+better 8x8 mario and princess to save at the end of the game from a boss...... who will be huge and shoot at the player.

I designed this so there can be like a TON of screens........

Also remember that Atari 2600 translations dont always turn out PERFECT. especially when a 15 year old with 2 years of programming tries it.

your sprite is too big. it causes the game to think he fell in a hole when you jump under the platform.

are the colors messed up? the coins and shrooms are black. and mario is pink and purple.

also I changed the grass to green already on the version ima release soon. and the button control too.

Mario doesn't have a glitch, but i guess he might need a little work. tough

I need to fix the mushrooms because with the multisprite option on, i need

to use player1colors: to set their colors, but i didn't cause i tought that COLUP1

would work fine. Now that I told you what DOESN't work with the multisprite option, I guess you could try working on it.

\Mario DOES have a glitch because he wraps around to the other side of the screen sometimes and his Y pos wraps and the game thinks he fell in a hole... >_<"

EVERY single one of those are either incomplete or dont even resemble super mario.

At least in mine there are many screens, mushrooms to jump on and coins to collect........... I plan on finishing this! and if yall dont like it then TOO BAD. lol :twisted:

AND REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY A DEMO!

in the end it will be:

added screens, music+better 8x8 mario and princess to save at the end of the game from a boss...... who will be huge and shoot at the player.

I designed this so there can be like a TON of screens........

I plan on eventually finishing mine too, but I am too busy at the moment. I even designed a 1 MB bankswitching scheme I may use for it.

Also remember that Atari 2600 translations dont always turn out PERFECT. especially when a 15 year old with 2 years of programming tries it.

I'm also 15 ;)

I just found a bug. it's on the 9th screen, here's what it's like:

Screen 9: You see a design that looks like a bridge, you walk on it

Screen 10: You walk trough a flat plain with no bridge

Screen 11: You see the end of the bridge

So I think screens 10 and 11 should be switched around

I did that on purpose, makes the player go under bridge so he HAS to jump on the shroom guy with limited room... I thougt it was kinda challenging little twist but this might not be what the areas are like in the end at all.

This is almost beginning to feel like a "challenge" to me... which batariBASIC programmer can really capture the "feel" of SMB"? :)

Maybe a time limit... like "2 months." I mean it's not like we could sell it, anyway. I might want to throw my hat in the ring. :D

This is almost beginning to feel like a "challenge" to me... which batariBASIC programmer can really capture the "feel" of SMB"? :)

Maybe a time limit... like "2 months." I mean it's not like we could sell it, anyway. I might want to throw my hat in the ring. :D

Does it have to be bB? If not, I may try to get some more work done on my project :D

Does it have to be bB? If not, I may try to get some more work done on my project :D

I'll take the challenge either way :D

I'm not a big fan of this whole "Hey, I'll steal someone else's brand and apply it for the 2600" thing, but I am fairly confident that I can play that game too, Wickey....

I'll take the challenge either way :D

I'm not a big fan of this whole "Hey, I'll steal someone else's brand and apply it for the 2600" thing, but I am fairly confident that I can play that game too, Wickey....

Then I'm game :D I have to finish something else first though.

wow... I spend like 3 hours or so working on a D E M O and people are already modding it and competing to beat it. kinda makes me want to release it ony when its finished. =/

I also kinda get the impression that my game is insulting to Mario fans (even if it is not finished). If you really think that it is not worthy of the title "SMB 2600" then let me know and I will change the theme and name. which would not be a bad idea because then id be doing my own thing and there will be less pressure to release a PERFECT game.

otherwise I will keep the theme and finish this as a Mario game. in that case I would ask for help in the following areas:

1 - better 8,8 sprites, no bigger

2 - help with music for title screen (which I plan to add)

3 - if I cant figure it out, I will ask for help on the physics

I think you are getting the wrong impression

wow... I spend like 3 hours or so working on a D E M O and people are already modding it and competing to beat it. kinda makes me want to release it ony when its finished. =/

Several others have worked very hard on similar projects, I know I spent over 20 hours on mine so far. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition :) You can't stop us from writing a SMB style game, and we can't stop you ;) I do however agree that it was sort of out of line for Nati to start working on YOUR project with out your permission. Perhaps you should not release the source in future revisions.

I also kinda get the impression that my game is insulting to Mario fans (even if it is not finished). If you really think that it is not worthy of the title "SMB 2600" then let me know and I will change the theme and name. which would not be a bad idea because then id be doing my own thing and there will be less pressure to release a PERFECT game.

No one means any harm, they are just giving suggestions. You can call it what ever you want, after all you are doing the work ;)

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

otherwise I will keep the theme and finish this as a Mario game. in that case I would ask for help in the following areas:

1 - better 8,8 sprites, no bigger

2 - help with music for title screen (which I plan to add)

3 - if I cant figure it out, I will ask for help on the physics

Don't take it the wrong way, :lol: I don't think anyone's "insulted." It's just that when many of us look at a game, we look at gameplay first. For instance, when I think of Super Mario Bros, I think of:

- A smoothly scrolling world

- A time limit

- A destination

- Solid jump-and-run mechanics

- Platform interactivity (i.e. bumping platforms for bonuses/ tripping enemies/ getting "The Mushroom")

- "The Mushroom" :lol: There's no "Super Mario" without it ;)

Without at least some of these things, "Super Mario" is just a name IMO. I mean, I just saw an argument over making something "the color of grass"... correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even remember "grass" in SMB :lol: For the most part you were either running over bricks or rocky terrain (the bottom level).

This is far from the first experiment in re-creating SMB. A one-to-one identical port is impossible on the VCS, but I think a little friendly contest might get us close :)

Cheers,

Jarod.

I made some changes to the game. I am trying to make a better physics engine for the game but am using the buggy one for now...

I changed some of the graphics and made it to where you cant go to previous screens.

I also added some new screens and a boss (WHICH I WILL IMPROVE LATER; HE WILL BE ABLE TO SHOOT AND OTHER THINGS) and the princess at the end.

the new version is in the 1st post...

A one-to-one identical port is impossible on the VCS, but I think a little friendly contest might get us close :)

What do you mean? It's already been done:

What? It's totally real! Stop rolling your eyes! Why don't you believe me?

that damn video is part of the reason that I am making this game!

it is sooo stupid and whoever made it is sooooo retarded....

AND PEOPLE THINK IT IS REAL!!!

the 2600s graphics are not all square blocks.... ROUNDNESS IS POSSIBLE!!!

I think a fairly accurate port can be done with tons of RAM. With 16K of RAM, a 170*96 pseudo frame buffer can be made ;) :twisted: :ponder: :x

were talkin bout the 2600 here not the 8-bit comps! lol