IGNORED

Side deal...

CPUWIZ

Sometimes I decide to head off side dealers and contact the seller witha message like, "Hi, I'm bidding on item _____ because I'd like it for my collection. In its condition of ________, it is considered kindof/sort of/amazingly/unbelievably uncommon/hard to get/rare and could possibly be worth $XXX, so I recommend letting this auction run its course and not taking any side deals. Thank you for your consideration and respect for me as a bidder on your auction." I may be prepared to pay full market value for said item, but sometimes I can get it cheaper than my referenced value (which tends to be fair, but not overzealous).Every now and again I get offered a reasonable BIN.

Now that is a brilliant idea Zwackery - I like it alot.

But by taking the BIN, doesn't it feel like a "side-deal lite"? Its a delicate line, but unless the auction runs its course and other collectors get a shot at it, how can you be sure you didn't underprice it?

Well, like I wrote, I do let the seller know what the value of the item typically is (given a combination of eBay market, price guides, and condition of item). I don't lowball the seller, but I don't unrealistically build up hopes either. Basically I try to offer the seller a reasonable expectation of value based on information that the seller could find in the public domain, provided the time is taken to look for it. In the few times I've been offered a BIN, once or twice I passed, and maybe once or twice I agreed to it (like a $100 item that I was given a $75 BIN on).

My approach to being honest about price has also resulted in most of my "Best Offer" offers on eBay being accepted. "The value is X, I'm prepared to pay Y right now, you get the money instantly and I get myself a discount."

Sometimes I decide to head off side dealers and contact the seller witha message like, "Hi, I'm bidding on item _____ because I'd like it for my collection. In its condition of ________, it is considered kindof/sort of/amazingly/unbelievably uncommon/hard to get/rare and could possibly be worth $XXX, so I recommend letting this auction run its course and not taking any side deals. Thank you for your consideration and respect for me as a bidder on your auction." I may be prepared to pay full market value for said item, but sometimes I can get it cheaper than my referenced value (which tends to be fair, but not overzealous).Every now and again I get offered a reasonable BIN.

But by taking the BIN, doesn't it feel like a "side-deal lite"? Its a delicate line, but unless the auction runs its course and other collectors get a shot at it, how can you be sure you didn't underprice it?

Well, like I wrote, I do let the seller know what the value of the item typically is (given a combination of eBay market, price guides, and condition of item). I don't lowball the seller, but I don't unrealistically build up hopes either. Basically I try to offer the seller a reasonable expectation of value based on information that the seller could find in the public domain, provided the time is taken to look for it. In the few times I've been offered a BIN, once or twice I passed, and maybe once or twice I agreed to it (like a $100 item that I was given a $75 BIN on).

My approach to being honest about price has also resulted in most of my "Best Offer" offers on eBay being accepted. "The value is X, I'm prepared to pay Y right now, you get the money instantly and I get myself a discount."

If you are offering "market" prices, why not let the auction run its course and pick up the item for its "market" price? The ONLY reason why people make side deals is to pick up items at a lower price than what they fear it will go for if the auction runs its course. ;)

If you are offering "market" prices, why not let the auction run its course and pick up the item for its "market" price? The ONLY reason why people make side deals is to pick up items at a lower price than what they fear it will go for if the auction runs its course. ;)

Please take a moment to go back and read the entire thread, including what I've previously written. To sum it up: in the process of informing a seller about the value of a rare item, I let the seller know what the market seems to indicate, and that I intend on bidding on the auction, so please don't end it early to take a side deal. A few times, the seller offers me a BIN, which I did NOT solicit, and then I either take it or pass. To be completely clear: this topic is not about me offering people side deals. So your winking smiley is out of place in this regard.

Please take a moment to go back and read the entire thread, including what I've previously written. To sum it up: in the process of informing a seller about the value of a rare item, I let the seller know what the market seems to indicate, and that I intend on bidding on the auction, so please don't end it early to take a side deal. A few times, the seller offers me a BIN, which I did NOT solicit, and then I either take it or pass. To be completely clear: this topic is not about me offering people side deals. So your winking smiley is out of place in this regard.

As I said, I think your approach is the best I've heard towards ensuring the auction runs its course. I'm not implying or suggesting any shadiness on your behalf, as I can't imagine this is a "problem" you run into often. If you were making absurdly priced side deals I doubt you'd be here talking about it openly.

In the few times I've been offered a BIN, once or twice I passed, and maybe once or twice I agreed to it (like a $100 item that I was given a $75 BIN on).

So you made a side deal then :D

In the few times I've been offered a BIN, once or twice I passed, and maybe once or twice I agreed to it (like a $100 item that I was given a $75 BIN on).

So you made a side deal then :D

No, I was offered a BIN, which was created through eBay's system, so that eBay registered it as a legitimate sale and received the appropriate fees from the seller. No fees were circumvented, and the sale is public information (for as long as eBay keeps the info in its system).

There is a boxed Crazy Climber on eBay if anyone missed out the one that disappeared from the lot that CPUWIZ pointed out. It ends tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260464442209&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D260464442209%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

There is a boxed Crazy Climber on eBay if anyone missed out the one that disappeared from the lot that CPUWIZ pointed out. It ends tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260464442209&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D260464442209%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I love the fact that the guys name is retake.

I was the high bidder...I was hoping the seller would contact me for a 2nd chance offer...but nothing yet...?

I'm sure he thinks its worth more than that. thus the reserve ;)

I'm confident that AtariAger understands how a reserve works on eBay...

I've seen notable item auctions where the seller sets a high reserve, the high bids don't trip the reserve amount, and then the seller starts contacting the high bidders to see what each is willing to pay (i.e., if you were willing to go $186, might you have gone to $200 had your bid been pushed?). If a bidder bites, the seller then creates a private sale (side deal) outside of eBay and avoids paying the commission on the sale. I'm not saying this particular seller is engaged in this tactic, but it's happened before.

Of course, the seller could have unrealistic expectations as to this item's value and the reserve is set sky-high.

I was the high bidder...I was hoping the seller would contact me for a 2nd chance offer...but nothing yet...?

I'm sure he thinks its worth more than that. thus the reserve ;)

I'm confident that AtariAger understands how a reserve works on eBay...

I've seen notable item auctions where the seller sets a high reserve, the high bids don't trip the reserve amount, and then the seller starts contacting the high bidders to see what each is willing to pay (i.e., if you were willing to go $186, might you have gone to $200 had your bid been pushed?). If a bidder bites, the seller then creates a private sale (side deal) outside of eBay and avoids paying the commission on the sale. I'm not saying this particular seller is engaged in this tactic, but it's happened before.

Of course, the seller could have unrealistic expectations as to this item's value and the reserve is set sky-high.

I'm sure he knows how a side deal works too. Typically, though sellers with reserves dont offer 2nd chance offers. I've been the highest bidder on many items with reserves over the years and have never received a 2nd chance offer. I bet this guy is an ex-collector and my guess is he bought it for a heck of a lot more than $186 and he wont want to sell for anything near $186. but i could be wrong. Has your CC arrived yet? :D

I'd rather buy a crappy copy of a loose cart and pay some talented Atari Ager to make me a red box manual and label for it :D first part of the plan [check]... I've got the crappy looking cart... who wants to make the box, label, and manual red style?

AX

Just contact CPUWIZ. I am sure he would be willing to do that for you if the price was right. :)

Typically, though sellers with reserves dont offer 2nd chance offers.I've been the highest bidder on many items with reserves over the yearsand have never received a 2nd chance offer. I bet this guy is anex-collector and my guess is he bought it for a heck of a lot more than$186 and he wont want to sell for anything near $186. but i could bewrong.

I'd have to go back and look at my files, but I've had at least a couple of offers on items with reserves that didn't sell; in each case, the seller decided that money in hand was better than a pie in the sky reserve and sent me the Second Chance Offer through eBay. Usually I wasn't even the first bidder.

Has your CC arrived yet? :D

I don't know where you are drawing your assumptions from, but this one is completely wrong. I already have a CIB Crazy Climber, and I don't need another one, not even for trade bait or flipping purposes. If someone else can get a deal and acquire something nice for collecting, I think that person should benefit from getting the deal. I've been fortunate in the past, so why not someone else.

• Like 1

I don't know where you are drawing your assumptions from, but this one is completely wrong. I already have a CIB Crazy Climber, and I don't need another one, not even for trade bait or flipping purposes. If someone else can get a deal and acquire something nice for collecting, I think that person should benefit from getting the deal. I've been fortunate in the past, so why not someone else.

Hence why I quit complaining about auctions disappearing into the ether... There was one that I haven't seen mentioned here that would have sent me into pure panic if I hadn't had a reflective moment after the Air Raid debacle - I'm glad that happened as it chased out the last bits of my eBay-hole tendencies. I have been fortunate enough to have won protos, loaners & ultrarare games and cannot expect such success to continue. I also had my first couple offline deals that have eased my nerves after years of online-only pickups.

Now, to riff off a quote from one of my favorite movies...

So who in the goddamn piss-hell stole the f$%kin' auction?

Keyser Soze.

I was just stirring you a little, thus the cheesy grin.

I was just stirring you a little, thus the cheesy grin.

Eh, let's all have a cold one and call it a day shall we. :D Dang it, my chili is gettin' cold.