IGNORED

5200 NTSC – UK PAL

Atari Richie

Help Please

I have searched round for A/V – S-VIDEO Mods for 5200, however; what’s the best one to use?

At the moment I connect the 5200 into my PC via NTSC analogue TV tuner card.

But I would much rather it worked on the big screen.

My HD TV is NTSC compatible but only through the Scart or S-video the analogue tuner gives me a colour picture but no sound. I know is NTSC compatible as I plugged in a PS3 that I picked up from Hong Kong some time ago (use a UK pal one now)...

What would you suggest I do?

If there anyone that uses a 5200 in the UK at the moment what’s your setup?

Thanks Richie....

Your TV might have a Country option within the menu system. Problem is, if you change country, then the Channel IDs will likely be all different, and normal Analog channels will possibly lose their audio. It might also make everything else default to NTSC.

A temporary measure might be to just do the audio half of the A/V mod and run your audio into some PC speakers.

Your TV might have a Country option within the menu system. Problem is, if you change country, then the Channel IDs will likely be all different, and normal Analog channels will possibly lose their audio. It might also make everything else default to NTSC.

A temporary measure might be to just do the audio half of the A/V mod and run your audio into some PC speakers.

I have a country options on the analogue RF signal settings, but that list is mainly Europe..

For some reason on any s-video or scart input I have full settings for all types of standards including all versions of NTSC ...

Like your Speaker Idea, that may be a good stop gap... Thanks :D

It's because the analogue tuner in European TVs only go down as far as channel 13; generally US equipment outputs on channel 3 or 4. Now if the 5200 could be "fixed" to output higher than that number, you'd be onto a winner.

My LCD TV is fully NTSC compatible, however; I have discovered that the analogue tuner does not have "full" NTSC support, it’s just a fluke that you get a perfect picture and no sound, because the TV has an auto select mode for the incoming analogue signal it works out that the analogue signal is NTSC and gives you the picture, But when you go to the audio input settings there is no NTSC support, only all the European settings. I think the manufacture just figured that anyone with an NTSC video player or Playsation etc, would never connect it via the analogue tuner, because they would be Scart or Hdmi devices, so they only bothered to make them compatible?

you really need to do the s-video mod, either from the FAQ or buy from 8bitdomain. Problem being that the 8bitdomain one will take an age to arrive. The two I have fitted to 5200s have been pretty good, but the no longer available Longhorn Engineer v1 mod was by far the best I have used

Longhorn Engineer v1 mod was by far the best I have used

I have been thinking about this for a few days and can see from a few posts that there is a demand for such modifications and no real supply. I co own a family toy business and we manufacture lot of electrical and battery operated toys in china, I have no problem fronting the money to get parts made as long as people want to buy them, (i.e. you won’t have to send any cash up front and wait 8 weeks.) it’s really is not a problem for me to send it off to our tech guys in Hong Kong and have them made up. The only problem is that I don’t have an extensive knowledge of electronics and the Chinese only really excel in coping something, does anyone have the circuit diagrams or even better a working board I can get copied?

The only problem is that I don’t have an extensive knowledge of electronics and the Chinese only really excel in coping something, does anyone have the circuit diagrams or even better a working board I can get copied?

I hope that you aren't going to rip off one of the AA members (Longhorn Engineer) by having his design copied and sold without him being involved (and receiving royalties).

The only problem is that I dont have an extensive knowledge of electronics and the Chinese only really excel in coping something, does anyone have the circuit diagrams or even better a working board I can get copied?

I hope that you aren't going to rip off one of the AA members (Longhorn Engineer) by having his design copied and sold without him being involved (and receiving royalties).

I would never rip anyone off, if the Longhorn Engineer would like to give me his design I would be more than happy to arrange for Royalty payments etc... That would stand for anyone that would like to be involved....

Edited by Atari Richie