IGNORED

I brought a 5200 back from the dead!!!

NoahsMyBro

:)

In late-August I got a dead 4-port 5200. Joe Kollar traded it to me, in a deal that went perfectly. He's a great guy to trade with, btw.

Well, Joe told me that the 5200 was dead when he got it, and came to him with an Atari 800 power supply. It seems likely to me that somebody plugged the Atari 800 P/S into the 5200, sending 30 volts into a land where only 14 volts is welcome.

I obtained the system looking for a challenge. Ya know what? I found one!

It took me 2 months, and an unbelievable amount of quality help from sci.electronics.repair denizens, but as of late tonight the system is working again!!!! To be brief, I had to replace 2 transistors and an IC.

I still need one small part, though, and I'm hoping someone here with a hopelessly broken 5200 of any variety might be able to help. The top-half of the power switch on the board (underneath the power button on the case) is missing. Consequently, the power button on the case doesn't make contact with the actual switch. I could probably rig something up, but I'd like to repair/replace the power switch. If any of you could find a broken 5200 and remove the power switch and send it to me (or at least the top half of the plastic square around the foil contacts), that would be terrifc. Naturally I'd pay the postage, and if you want I could throw in a common or two.

I don't suppose Koffi might support 4 players, Cafeman?

Anybody up for making a 5200 Gauntlet?

I've got a 4-port! 8-)

good work...Im trying to get mine going not nearly as sorry as you started from just need mine to recognize the start command...grounding pin 4 & 7 together momentarily didnt help. consule just puts up game screen running demos..but will keep an eye out for power switch..any idea about my situation??

NMB

Hey call Brad @ Best Electronics

a new Main Console on/off sw is $1.00

.50c for the spring.

KJ1

Sorry the 4&7 didnt work.

I'd open her up and look for a loose solder joint

at the db15 connector on the MB, if they're good

follow out the traces on both pins you might have an open

somewhere ?

Since you have eliminated the CX52 cable as a poss prob.

I would think you would be having probs with a

group of buttons other than just the Start.

Are you having trouble with any other KP functions?

Pin 4 > is common to S,P&R

Pin 7 > is common to 1,2,3&S

If you are having trouble with other functions in either

group of buttons look at that specific pin/trace.

Later

I don't suppose Koffi might support 4 players, Cafeman?

(FALLS OVER DEAD FROM EXHAUSTION)

Today was very blah, in a dreary sort of way. But I've got to thank you, your post made me laugh out loud. :D

Looking forward to any game you bring out, whether it be 1-player, 4-player, or pi^2-players,

Steve

Well I am glad to hear you got that 4 port working and thank you for the good feedback on trading. Let me say it was a pleasure to trade with you too. The 2 port you sent me works perfectly and I've been playing the hell out of it. In fact because of this new 5200 obsession, I'm working on a joystick modification for the 5200 sticks based on the spring system that PC analog sticks use. I will definetely let AA forum know if I get it to work right and it's practical. So far it works for a while and then I have springs popping out all over the place. It's actually pretty comical.

-Joe Kollar AKA Joeybastard