IGNORED

I doubt it, but...

zeitshabba

I've been trying to clean up all the random Atari bits I've accumulated and found a few things I didn't realize I had. Most of the goodies I found were not great surprises but more of forgotten treats. During my semi-annual oogling/reorganizing of my prototypes & super-rare games I spent a few minutes going through my manuals as well to find this:

ChuckManual.JPG

I probably didn't take notice of it as it was slipped in with a bunch of manuals, inserts, etc. and the stains were from the catalog it was stuck to. This looks nothing like the manual for Chase the Chuck Wagon, and given the lot this was originally included in I wasn't as quick to dismiss this as an abbreviated typewriter copy by some home hack. Of course, I look to the experts here for their opinion and the rabble for some heckling.

Is this manual anything unique?

Thanks in advance...

PS. My Atari wallets are on sale for $20/$40 through the remainder of August.

http://bit.ly/rLtz3

I've been trying to clean up all the random Atari bits I've accumulated and found a few things I didn't realize I had. Most of the goodies I found were not great surprises but more of forgotten treats. During my semi-annual oogling/reorganizing of my prototypes & super-rare games I spent a few minutes going through my manuals as well to find this:

ChuckManual.JPG

I probably didn't take notice of it as it was slipped in with a bunch of manuals, inserts, etc. and the stains were from the catalog it was stuck to. This looks nothing like the manual for Chase the Chuck Wagon, and given the lot this was originally included in I wasn't as quick to dismiss this as an abbreviated typewriter copy by some home hack. Of course, I look to the experts here for their opinion and the rabble for some heckling.

Thanks in advance...

I remember sticky catalogs from the 70's and 80's. Mostly the ladies wear sections! LOL!

ChuckManual.JPG

Thanks in advance...

Interesting.

It's different from the one I know:

http://www.atarimania.com/zoom_frame.php?TYPE_IMG=I&ID=12374&MENU=2&NUM_IMAGE=0

Looks like a cheaper version, but I don't know if its a later or earlier version, though.

Could you please make a scan of it?

8)

Interesting.

http://www.atarimani...U=2&NUM_IMAGE=0

Looks like a cheaper version, but I don't know if its a later or earlier version, though.

8)

Once I get my grubby hands on a scanner, I'll do just that & send it along.

It resembles the original too much for me to discount it as a knock-off. Plus, in all my Atari years, I've actually never received any typewritten instructions for a game except for this one.

PS. Don't expect a speedy scan - I don't own one, so I'll have to check with my friends for one...

Interesting.

http://www.atarimani...U=2&NUM_IMAGE=0

8)

In comparing the two manuals, the text is identical between the two except mine lacks any punctuation, capitalization or bold text. Unless this is a home-spun knockoff, which would be bizarre given it meticulously reproduced the content, was cut to exact size yet ignored basic capitalization, I'd have to believe this would be an earlier version.

If I am correct, this would be the second most impressive piece from the lot, and I almost overlooked it!

Unlike the original manual, the Chuck Wagon dog food brand is not mentioned anywhere on your manual and neither is the ® sign.

One would think that a dog food promo game manual would at least carry the dog food brand.

Also, the paper doesn't look different from the ordinary sheet of A4 printer paper and the font is the often used Arial.

My guess is that it was printed by someone who was missing the original manual, using this text as example:

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=76

Notice that the brand text is also missing there (exactly the reason why I dislike typed over instructions).

Nevertheless, I'll add it my personal piccies collection, just in case another one will be found.

I've seen weirder instruction sheets than this one that later turned out to be genuine.

Thanks for sharing!

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Unlike the original manual, the Chuck Wagon dog food brand is not mentioned anywhere on your manual and neither is the ® sign.

One would think that a dog food promo game manual would at least carry the dog food brand.

Also, the paper doesn't look different from the ordinary sheet of A4 printer paper and the font is the often used Arial.

My guess is that it was printed by someone who was missing the original manual, using this text as example:

http://www.atariage....twareLabelID=76

Notice that the brand text is also missing there (exactly the reason why I dislike typed over instructions).

Nevertheless, I'll add it my personal piccies collection, just in case another one will be found.

I've seen weirder instruction sheets than this one that later turned out to be genuine.

Thanks for sharing!

8)

Thank you for taking the time & your evaluation. It seems strange to me that it matches word-for-word yet ignore capitalization and the paper is cut-to-size matching the official one. To spend the attention on paper-size but not punctuation seems like backwards priorities given the time each would have taken.

I'll tuck it away with the proto w/ manual it was originally lotted with and cling to the smidgeon of hope that burns within...

I'll tuck it away with the proto w/ manual it was originally lotted with and cling to the smidgeon of hope that burns within...

Are you saying it came with a proto of chase the chuck wagon?

No no no... that would be nice, but no. I won a lot two years ago with a few Atari protos, a Frankenstein's Monster proto w/ manual and a bunch of normal games and never really examined the "normal" stuff given the other goodies. The non-proto games were quickly passed along, but the manuals never went to the workshop as I received this lot right after moving my operation. While cleaning out my old storage space a couple weeks ago, I found the manuals and this document. Now I wish I had spent a little more time examining the other games.

I also rediscovered my Asteroids theme song cassette.

Good stuff.