IGNORED

Sample Conversion for A8

Heaven/TQA

what I am searching is a simple tool where I can load a sample in WAV format which then can be downsampled to 4khz 4bit resolution to use it on A8... prefarable OS X or Windows tool....

SPS is a Windows application (3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP). Haven't tried on Vista yet. It has some DOS utility SNDINTR.EXE which will downsample to any rate, but SPS only supports integer downsampling so far. So if you had original as 44Khz 16-bit Stereo you can take it down to 11Khz 8-bit mono or 5.5Khz 8-bit mono and then nibble packed.

what I am searching is a simple tool where I can load a sample in WAV format which then can be downsampled to 4khz 4bit resolution to use it on A8... prefarable OS X or Windows tool....

Use Audacity (or if you must sox or something) to process the wav how you want, convert it to 8bit unsigned, and use the mashsamples tool contraption..

The samplerate on the command line is the output sample rate..

so mashsamples in.wav 3900 out.bin

And it expects unsigned 8 bit samples as input..

Convert it to the desired sample rate using Audacity or Sox or something because the samplerate conversion in mash samples is shite, aka rougher than a very rough thing..

in the past I was using Audacity & sox but they maximum lead to the 8bit samples... maybe it was just me... ;)

thanks I will give it another try.

btw. your sample converted to 4bit is recognisable in my code but played too slow so I am experimenting with it further... my converted ones led to noise... ;)

btw. your sample converted to 4bit is recognisable in my code but played too slow so I am experimenting with it further... my converted ones led to noise... ;)

You mean the one I sent you yesterday ? That was at a sample rate of 3900hz, as you requested ;)

Martins mashsamples tool will only work with 8bit samples, you'll get noise if you feed it 16bit samples, or if you've not made them unsigned.. Though even as signed it should still sound 'recognisable' to some degree..

Edited by andym00