IGNORED

Blocked for making a 'best offer' on eBay

the.golden.ax

I'm not sure why people continue to use best offer if they are not willing to play along at all. Today I placed a $20.00 best offer on a $44.99 item from seller amazing_heroes on eBay. They declined the offer... AND BLOCKED ME... after one single offer. They could have counter offered... anything... but instead they BLOCK ME from any future deals. How do these sellers stay in business. My eBay stuff doesn't exactly fly out the door.

AX

Could be they've been getting a lot of low balls on that or other items (and that definitely was a low ball offer) and decided to block anyone who does so. Can't say I blame them. I don't sell on ebay but on Kijiji and when someone offers me less than 50% of what I'm asking I don't even bother replying assuming they aren't serious and just wasting my time. If I were the seller, I'd definitely think you weren't serious with that offer.

Could be they've been getting a lot of low balls on that or other items (and that definitely was a low ball offer) and decided to block anyone who does so. Can't say I blame them. I don't sell on ebay but on Kijiji and when someone offers me less than 50% of what I'm asking I don't even bother replying assuming they aren't serious and just wasting my time. If I were the seller, I'd definitely think you weren't serious with that offer.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I have seen things like a $1000 Atari 7800 on eBay with a 'or best offer' option also on it. Someone offering $500 would have been a serious offer, if I was the seller. It all depends on how realistic the Buy Now price was to start.

--Selgus

It's all a matter of perspective. Ive purchased said item from $8.99 - $20 in the past (trying to get 16 of them). Asking $44.99 in the first place is a high offer. You can call a $20 offer lowball, but it all depends on how far off base the seller was in the first place.

AX

Now I'm curious, why would you want 16 of whatever it is? I'm assuming its a game.

It's all a matter of perspective. Ive purchased said item from $8.99 - $20 in the past (trying to get 16 of them). Asking $44.99 in the first place is a high offer. You can call a $20 offer lowball, but it all depends on how far off base the seller was in the first place.

AX

Now I'm curious, why would you want 16 of whatever it is? I'm assuming its a game.

For a display.

AX

That's pretty ridiculous for someone to block you because you made a low offer on a listing. If people don't want such offers, then they should disable the "Make Offer" for their listing! You never know that someone who makes an offer may just be fishing and they may very well bid on your item or hit the BIN if the item has one. To shut out someone entirely from all your auctions for this reason is just stupid.

..Al

Yes, Al, and Ranger, I agree with you both. You can shut off best offer, set a threshold, or just decline/ignore offers. Taking away my ability to ever buy does keep him from making possible money. Clearly I tried to buy something to find out I was blocked. I buy tons of stuff on eBay... I know I end up looking like I have nothing but trouble but its not the case. You guys don't hear about all the good deals... These days about 10 - 15 out of 100 buys are difficult... allot worse than it use to be (not sure why). It's still worth doing.

AX

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Guy was selling something and nobody had bid on it, but he had the "Best Offer" option enabled. It was an item only worth it to me at a lower cost so I submitted an offer.

Next thing I know he blocked me. And I have 100% feedback and 99% of the time I am a Buyer.

I just shrugged and figured it was the Seller's loss. A little arrogance doesn't hurt....it is a privilege for somebody to have me as a Buyer.

Can't say if his price was not "fair" he still would not have it. This economy the ONLY things that get sold quickly on eBay on those types of listings are for resellers and "fair" price to a reseller is a completely different beast.

He should have "automatically decline" options on listings if they are too low, but there are a LOT of asses out there that like to place $1-3 best offers on things....that's pretty irritable to a seller. I don't know why people think they are being "funny" but it is pretty ridiculous to make offers like that because you are wasting everyone's time.

A lot of times people expect 90% of the price for Best Offer which is shocking to me. I am more of a 50-75% person depending on the product.