IGNORED

Wico Command Control Has Issues

voiddweller

Hello,

I recently acqired this controller for my 5200 and love it, but it has a small problem. The sliders on the underside of the controller (that control self-centering and free movement) will not stay in the self-centering position for the Y-axis.

After opening up the controller to take a look, it appears the plastic pieces (holding the spring in place) are warped. This seems to be causing the slider to gradually move out of place due to the angle of the plastic.

Have any Wico owners seen this before or had a similar problem?

Voltman3 - If you read this, let me know what you think. i'm sure you have pulled apart Wicos =0)

If it helps, I can take some pics and post them. Just let me know.

Thanks!

I have had a pair of Wico Command Controls for my 5200 that I bought *new*. I've never liked them, for exactly the reason you described. The self-centering sliders on my controllers never worked. From day one, they pop out of position the moment you apply any pressure to the stick.

If you try to use them in the non-centering position, the handle flops over limply; there's no resistance at all.

Not to mention the mushiness of the fire buttons. I just didn't like them. BUT, if you figure out the best way to fix the self-centering switches, by all means post the fix here. I'd love to give the sticks a fair chance once that's fixed.

I know this doesn't help you but it's a funny story.

I got a wico stick from ebay very cheap because it was listed as broken.

They said the stick would not center. So when i received it I turned it over flipped the switches and it worked great. It seems they never bothered to turn the stick over and look. I guess they didn't know it had that feature and assumed it was broken.

I must be lucky, all my wico sticks work great. Including my "junk" parts wico stick. Too bad I hate these controllers. The buttons suck and the stick feels horrible. I also hate how the left - right slide adjustment needs to be almost all the way to the left to center the stick right.

Also that adjustment changes when your system heats up, and you need to readjust it after a while. The "heating" up thing is normal for the 5200. Even the masterplay interface manual says if your game character starts to move when your stick is centered, turn off the system and back on again. This is cause by the system heating up and adjustments changing.

Not exact words but basicaly thats what they meant.

Charlie

Voiddweller

Yep, I have taken a couple apart.

I like the Wico CC, but not as well as my

own controller. ;) lol

The first one I got had a bad pot, (wouldnt go down - I think?)

Found out it just needed a little more resitance to make it go in that direction.

After that, I got to like these conts very well.

The only drawback to me- is the big FB isn't very easy to

press (fast).

I swapped wires and now the smaller FB is much

more sensitive as a Main FB !

Here is what I'd do - Use a self-tapping screw, slow and easy

should do it. Then, you can always take it out if needed.

52WicoFix.jpg

Hey, Chaz-

I think I remember that auction, and wondered if that was a possibility ?

Glad you got a good deal with an easy fix ! Score!

Later-

When I was a kid I used a piece of rolled up cardboard to hold it in place believe it or not. Worked good for a while then I'd have to replace it. ;)

I'll see if I have some cardboard laying around to give it a try, but it looks like the slider needs A LOT of pressure to keep it from moving.

Love the avatar by the way. Joystik is my all time favorite magazine :)

It was the definitely one of the best magazines for the Coin-Op gamer! I think I saved all the issues somewhere.