IGNORED

Games with best graphics

eegad

If I put myself back in Silica Shop in Sidcup (Sure there wasn't one in Slough but there was a big Atari shop there) at the time I remember looking at Galaxians and being stunned, that and the other Galaxian clone were spot on which for the arcader like me was great. Star Raiders was great, loved Bounty Bob and Spelunker. Tail of the Beta Lyre impressed.

The ones that got my most attention were the arcade conversions, with the exception of Asteroids I was so impressed I was playing Defender, Donkey Kong etc etc in my own home and they looked very close...

Last choice is controversial, Jump Man, the graphics suited it down to the ground, nice animation and a fantastic game.

If I put myself back in Silica Shop in Sidcup (Sure there wasn't one in Slough but there was a big Atari shop there)

Could have sworn it was a Silica Shop, but maybe it wasn't after all.. It was on the far end of the High Street away from the main centre.. But it was a long time ago 25+ years so my memories probably failed me here :)

Allas: Cool timeline man...The screenshots of SCRAM, and the A8 version of Space Invaders really takes me back to the beginning when I first got my A400 and started getting Atari Connection..

I also remember some of the local Dallas haunts that sold Atari 8 stuff that I tried to be near as often as I could and would look at the box art and screens on the back of the boxes.. Federated, The Game Player.. Geez.. now im drawing a blank.. so many of those electronic stores are gone now..

I always thought Galahad had cool graphics for what it was and the time it was released..

Allas: Cool timeline man...The screenshots of SCRAM, and the A8 version of Space Invaders really takes me back to the beginning when I first got my A400 and started getting Atari Connection..

I also remember some of the local Dallas haunts that sold Atari 8 stuff that I tried to be near as often as I could and would look at the box art and screens on the back of the boxes.. Federated, The Game Player.. Geez.. now im drawing a blank.. so many of those electronic stores are gone now..

I always thought Galahad had cool graphics for what it was and the time it was released..

I still play and like that version of Space Invaders (4K) but of course now it boots up instantly rather than waiting for cassette boot (holding down START and pressing Play).

For a thread entitled "Games with the best graphics" that screen shot is outta place - it's hideous!!!

I was just curious because I was thinking about this last night whilst lying in bed and wondered how far the idea had been taken, and if so what the results were like.. Yeah, it's hideous really, but it's not often I've seen hires coloured stuff in Atari games.. I was hoping for something slightly more impressive though..

Edited by andym00

I was going to ask the same question because I wanted to know if it was possible to put a screen full of quad size black PMGs under the Head over Heels screen so you could have a black background instead of a sickly "off colour" one. Maybe some people don't mind but it ruins the foreground for me.

Pete

Maybe not the best graphics, but for sure the best overall games.

Along the time line we have...

post-6191-125236236415_thumb.pngpost-6191-125236237493_thumb.pngpost-6191-125236243972_thumb.png

Star Raiders / Basketball / Outlaw - Horwitzer

HOLY CRAP! I really have been missing out only having Pac Man, Dig Dug & Galaxian for my 8-bit systems!

Thanks for all of the references. !

I was going to ask the same question because I wanted to know if it was possible to put a screen full of quad size black PMGs under the Head over Heels screen so you could have a black background instead of a sickly "off colour" one.

Don't think that works if memory serves...?

Edited by TMR

Maybe not the best graphics, but for sure the best overall games.

Along the time line we have...

post-6191-125236236415_thumb.pngpost-6191-125236237493_thumb.pngpost-6191-125236243972_thumb.png

Star Raiders / Basketball / Outlaw - Horwitzer

HOLY CRAP! I really have been missing out only having Pac Man, Dig Dug & Galaxian for my 8-bit systems!

Thanks for all of the references. !

You are welcome.

I try to do with very careful selection. For long time I dedicated to reviewed every game on Atari collection. So I think it's a good idea to do a time line. Soon, i work on a web with complete timeline with 5 games per year and some comments. If someone feels the timeline post helped with his memories, well you can give me the credit doing click on the button "VOTE THIS POST UP" ;) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Edited by Allas
  • Like 3

I was going to ask the same question because I wanted to know if it was possible to put a screen full of quad size black PMGs under the Head over Heels screen so you could have a black background instead of a sickly "off colour" one. Maybe some people don't mind but it ruins the foreground for me.

Pete

unfortunately the 320 mode only allows only 1 colour in 2 lums so placing a black pmg underlay across the screen would only make the graphics white (or whatever you set the lum to). You can use pmg's in other ways for additional colour such as masking zones of the screen but it has to be said that the mode is very restrictive. Amongst many things on the A8 wish list, I wish they would have provided a map mode as many of the other platforms had available.

Pete

unfortunately the 320 mode only allows only 1 colour in 2 lums so placing a black pmg underlay across the screen would only make the graphics white (or whatever you set the lum to). You can use pmg's in other ways for additional colour such as masking zones of the screen but it has to be said that the mode is very restrictive. Amongst many things on the A8 wish list, I wish they would have provided a map mode as many of the other platforms had available.

Jesus christ Tezz be quiet for gods sake.

there are certain people who post on this forum who will burn crosses on your front lawn for speaking such heresy. then have u publicly flogged thru the streets.

:)

Edited by STE'86

'cmon, EVERYONE knows you can get a million colors per scan-line at 320 resolution - and unlimited sprites, both on a 16K 400 - it's just LAZY programmers and talentless artists that have dogged the machine! But these days people know better and if you repeat the same nonsense enough times it MUST be true :P

sTeVE

'cmon, EVERYONE knows you can get a million colors per scan-line at 320 resolution - and unlimited sprites, both on a 16K 400 - it's just LAZY programmers and talentless artists that have dogged the machine! But these days people know better and if you repeat the same nonsense enough times it MUST be true :P

sTeVE

Wrong thread.

Pete