IGNORED

Well, I think I'm finally done with Capcom

2600Lives

So, after picking up Mega Man X Collection for the GC a few weeks ago, I've been trying to go through it. Trying being the operative word. Has ANYONE on the face of the fucking planet beaten all of these games legitimately? I'd call bullshit if anyone claims to have done so. I hate this trend towards uber difficulty, and I'M SICK OF IT. Not everyone has the goddamned reflexes of a robot! It's not just these damned Mega Man games, either (I will NEVER own Mega Man 9 under any circumstances, they can go fuck themselves if they think they'll get my money for that one), it's every single game Capcom puts out! Resident Evil, Street Fighter, you name it, they're all so very, VERY hard. What about people who just play for fun? Who don't want to put hours and hours and HOURS of practice into a game just so they can beat a single level (Squid Adler, I'm looking at you). It's like those idiotic Ninja Gaiden Black games, which again, I will never own. They exist to stroke the ego of the little Halo freaks who have no jobs so they can do nothing but practice all day long on these stupid games. Arrgh, it's enough to make me want to break something! I swear, I've gotten more angry over damned Capcom games than all of the time I've been stuck in traffic in my entire life. Konami is also guilty of this, though they have lessened somewhat in recent years (the Castlevania games on the PS2 are perfectly managable), but early on, oh man, it was just friggin' nuts. Capcom was THE reason cheat devices were made, and thank gawd for 'em. Unless they start reducing the difficulty of their games, I'm gonna just call it quits with their stuff, honestly. There are other companies now making great, MANAGABLE stuff like Fallout 3, so really, I don't need Capcom anymore. I've been a loyal fan of theirs for years, but now, as I get older, my reflexes get slower (and even worse with all the injuries to my hands), I just can't manage it anymore. Been fun, guys, but it's time to hang up my Ryu headband and remember the (admittedly VERY few) good times we had.

I bet you I can think of a Capcom game that isn't bullshit hard.

!

hmm...

!!

Breath of Fire.

To be honest, I've played all the main series Megaman and Megaman X games, and I've beat a grand total of... three of them, five if you count the Megaman Zero games on GBA. So I will agree that they are pretty punishing. As for Street Fighter, the computer is supposed to be bullshit; multiplayer is where it's at there.

Ironically enough, this thread has reminded me that I'd like to find the Megaman Anniversary and X Collections on PS2 at some point. Because I like the abuse.

Yeah, I can see the point, Capcom is a bitch to play, but on the other hand, unless the game just sucks, it also seems quiet rewarding when you do finish something on it, and really awesome if you manage to beat the game. Konami, yeah, they had such a bad problem with high difficulties (but could see it) that they added their own cheat intothe game :P

Never enjoyed Megaman, just one game I couldn't get into, it's just to slow, and a lot of your dying actually has to do with the slow speed of your character. Not to say it's not beatable, I've seen people do it (and just think "WTF") but to me, it just wasn't worth it...I do commend them for trying to stick to 2D in a world that's almost exclusively 3D though, but I'll still never get into them.

To be honest, I've played all the main series Megaman and Megaman X games, and I've beat a grand total of... three of them, five if you count the Megaman Zero games on GBA. So I will agree that they are pretty punishing. As for Street Fighter, the computer is supposed to be bullshit; multiplayer is where it's at there.

Ironically enough, this thread has reminded me that I'd like to find the Megaman Anniversary and X Collections on PS2 at some point. Because I like the abuse.

I've beaten MM1-MM6 and MMX1-MMX6 myself. The first one is hard, second one is beyond easy. Third one is hard if you don't know what you're doing, but if you figure out how to fight it becomes about as easy as the second. Didn't find anything too memorable about MM4-MM6. Beat them once and havne't played them after. The X series is known for being hard to start off on since you actually have to power up during the game - but the bosses are all at max power from the get-go. The further you go, the easier it gets in those games. Especially when you're getting the new armors in the last few.

That being said, I didn't get too far in MMX7. But I also didn't like the push into 3D starting in that game. At some point I pawned the game off and haven't had a desire to get it again.

Never did feel like trying the Zero series. :ponder:

Regardless, if you're not enjoying the games a company is putting out, just don't play'em. You can put the money elsewhere!

Really? you beat MMX5? HOW? Seriously, fucking how? I see NO way to beat the final boss, and hey, get this, he's even impossible if you CHEAT! Yep! I got so sick of dying and dying and dying, I plugged in an invincible code...BUT, since he can insta kill you at almost any time he likes, it still doesn't help for shit! Woot! A game that you can't beat with an invincible code! Wow, that's just the not coolest thing ever invented. As of this moment, MMX5 is probably the worst game in existence, just because of the difficulty. I'd honestly rather play the damned Virtual Boy than this one.

Yeah, I can put my money elsewhere...but I WANT to love the games that Capcom puts out. I've been a diehard Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, etc. fan for many years. They make it so you CAN'T love these games, or enjoy them in the slightest because you'd have to have superhuman reflexes to finish them. Didn't I read somewhere that even the designers of MM9 had immense trouble in finishing it?

Yeah, BoF was ok, since you could level up, but that was only for 1-4. Dragon Quarter was a gigantic pile of pig shit.

Anybody know the actual e-mail address of these guys? I can't seem to find it, and it's no wonder, as I'd imagine they'd have their mailboxes stuffed full of mail from angry parents who bought their kid a game that looked like it might be ok for them (again, Mega Man), and when the kid wound the cord around his neck in frustration, the realized that it was nothing more than a pack of jagged razor blades wrapped in a nice, fuzzy, kid friendly package. My mom got me MM1 when I was a kid, and boy, was she mad when I stopped playing it after 2 days because of that stupid blob monster at the end of the game (didn't know about the select trick at that point). MM2, 3, 4, and 5 were all ok, not that hard to finish, but from 6 on, and ALL the X titles, it was just nuts.

If I really wanted to sit down and grind my way through, I could probably beat the rest of the Megaman games. But here's the key: I don't really have the patience for it. I could sit down for days at a time, refine my strategies and get the job done, but at that point I'd probably rather put the game down and go do something else. So I can appreciate how one might find a certain tedium in excessively hard games.

Or maybe I'm full of shit. I declined to mention before that I like to work my way through the Megaman games with only the buster for challenge - boss weapons be damned. I was able to do this with Megaman 7, 9, and X1. I also realize that this more or less takes the entire point out of the game. Perhaps another reason I have not gotten around to beating more games in the series.

Man, at least there are fantastic games that are beatable, give you a decent challenge, and don't PISS you off. Case in point, Metal Gear Solid and Metroid Prime. Both series are perfectly managable without cheating in the least, and I mean EVERY game in the series.

I finally finished it off, now I just gotta grind through 6, which I hear is the hardest in the series. <groan>

2600 Lives, you have described my exact feeling toward Square recently. No one believed me, either, but that's how I felt. I wanted to twist my PSP in half over some of the bull$hit that Crisis Core pulled. And I call it that because that's what it is.

Gotta have some stupid kind of points for some basic move like dodging? OK, that's fine--until every enemy and their brother likes to suck those points away with a single hit. But it doesn't tell you you're out of them, and you wind up smashing the square right through the battery pack trying to get Zack to dodge, then you realize, "Oh, I'm out of those f@gg0t AP points because some hit sucked 4,872 of them away and my max is only 99." But now the machine is broke and the disc is destroyed from a fit of rage.

I hear ya. I've played other games that border on impossible until you discover a certain strategy to beat that stage. Ya know, go around back of their base where there's no guard towers, use Soul Steal and armor that absorbs electricity, shoot people only with the silenced D5K to avoid an alarm, etc.

Crisis Core is not one of those. To win, stomp the disc into junk and then see who's boss.

Eh, I guess my reflexes have slowed down enough that brutal side scrollers like this just don't agree with me anymore. Time was I could whip the hell out of stuff like that. Not anymore.

I've always been more of a fighting game player anyway. BUP's, 1 on 1, you name it. Was a nationally ranked SF2 Turbo player at one point. Of course, now, there are players that take all the fun out of competitiveness, like that Daigo idiot who says he plays SF4 40 hours a week. I WORK 40 HOURS A WEEK! Must be nice to sponge off your 'rents and play games all damn day. Once players figured out there was money to be made in competitive gaming, all the fun got sucked right down the drain. Hell, I can't last more than 2 seconds at a time in ANY Halo game online, period, or pretty much any FPS that's come out in the last decade, because of players that spend ungodly amounts of time practicing. Meh, I've got better things to do, ya know? I love gaming, just not on that level. Like those douches who are like perfect at Guitar Hero. Whoop dee frickin' doo! Do you own your own car, that your daddy DIDN'T buy for you? Got your own apartment or house? Pay all your own bills? Have, or have ever had a girl or boy friend? Yeah.

Square has been pissing me off for a while now. Time was, if the name SquareSoft was on a game, I bought it, no questions asked. Now, not even close. FF12 was one of the most miserable excuses for a piece of shit game I've EVER played, due to the scaling enemy levels, the insane difficulty of boss monsters (one guy on here said he spent something like 15 hours fighting one boss...I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THAT SHIT!!!!), and the crappy half-assed MMO style fighting system. Plus the little sissyboy main character really didn't agree with me. To put it into perspective, I used the PAR to give my party max level AND invincibility. Fought a monster that did MORE DAMAGE than my characters had at MAX LEVEL (so it overrode the PAR codes and killed the character anyway), and had somewhere in the neighborhood of a fucking googleplex of hit points. It killed my entire party in less than 2 minutes. This was just a test to see how much bullshit I was in for, and after that, I gave up. I wanted no part of it anymore, and snapped the damn disc. Not sorry for losing that one, either. If I could, I'd shove the broken shards up the ass of whoever designed that pile of vomit. Square is but a shadow of it's former self. After they went all corporate, the suits destroyed it's soul (like they do with ANYTHING they touch).

I guess this is why I'll never lose my love of a good ol' fashioned point and click adventure game.

Early on Konami was bad, with the original Castlevania games, and yeah, Contra, but they've really lightened up on the difficulty of some games lately. Metal Gear, case in point, and the recent batch of Castlevania games (starting with Symphony of the Night).

Many Japanese developed games are simply over the top hard, I have a friend from Japan who lives here and he tells me they pretty much do that on purpose. He laughs when we talk about it, its kind of a known thing back there he tells me.

Anyway, I find many Capcom games hard. Devil May Cry is impossible without cheating and I dont even want to talk about Mega Man 9 or any of the others. I'm a megaman fan and I legitimately beat Mega Man 2 and 3 back in the day but after the heart attacks I got I told myself that I wont be playing anymore of those games again.

Ghosts n' Goblins I guess is the poster boy of this topic. Right now I am somewhat struggling through Maximo...not that hard but some of the bosses are.

Megaman with a Gamecube controller sounds like more frustration than any mortal man is entitled to.

I'm quite certain the designers of Megaman looked into the future and said "Eh, let's just go with it. In a few years, they'll have emulators with quicksaves and rewind buttons anyway."

I find it amusing that someone with the username '2600lives,' presumably a big fan of the Atari 2600, is raging about too-hard, twitch games. :lolblue:

I mean, what else is there on the 2600?

Yeah, but most 2600 games have no ending, so you just play for a high score, or to rollit or whatever. :P Most more modern games have an ending, so making it damn near impossible to reach it seems kinda stupid IMO

You have to remember: A) those games were largely designed for kids, B) NES games back in the day were expensive, and C) most kids have a lot of free time. Hence, if the game was too easy, kids would have beat it too fast, and then the parents would have been pissed off that they just plunked down booku bucks for a game that their kid beat in like 3 days.

That's my theory, at least. :D

Hey, I was awesome at twitch games back in the day, man. I rolled Yar's Revenge like 7 times one night. My mom kept yelling at me to shut it off or it'd ruin the tv :roll: , I got HUGE blisters both my thumbs, but man, was it ever fun.

I can still play twitch games, though. I can still to this day go for hours at Missile Command and Asteroids. But, a game with a definable ending MUST be finishable, period, and not so insanely difficult that no one has ever seen the ending.

And I've beaten some HARD ass games in my day. Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts legit finished (once, NOT going through it again, fuck THAT), got to the last boss of Ghosts 'N Goblins, beaten 3-D Worldrunner, etc. I've whipped Bison in the SNES SF2 Turbo with every character, max difficulty. I can finish the first Contra with only 1 continue (using the 30 man code, natch, but I never need to continue!). Went through Super C with NO code whatsoever. Like I said, my reflexes must be going to shit, as I can just barely get through older side-scrollers anymore. <sigh>

Hey, I was awesome at twitch games back in the day, man. I rolled Yar's Revenge like 7 times one night. My mom kept yelling at me to shut it off or it'd ruin the tv :roll: , I got HUGE blisters both my thumbs, but man, was it ever fun.

I can still play twitch games, though. I can still to this day go for hours at Missile Command and Asteroids. But, a game with a definable ending MUST be finishable, period, and not so insanely difficult that no one has ever seen the ending.

And I've beaten some HARD ass games in my day. Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts legit finished (once, NOT going through it again, fuck THAT), got to the last boss of Ghosts 'N Goblins, beaten 3-D Worldrunner, etc. I've whipped Bison in the SNES SF2 Turbo with every character, max difficulty. I can finish the first Contra with only 1 continue (using the 30 man code, natch, but I never need to continue!). Went through Super C with NO code whatsoever. Like I said, my reflexes must be going to shit, as I can just barely get through older side-scrollers anymore. <sigh>

Don't sweat it man you're alright. I got the arthritis in both hands, carpal tunnel(both wrists) with nerve damage on my right wrist from a botched surgery,tendinitis, and when i'm at work i'm always dropping sockets or wrenches and 8 maybe 9 times out of ten I will catch it before it hits the ground, so the hand/eye co-ordination still works but like you I have no tolerance for crapola in my games and I think thats what the problem is. I noticed as I get older I have less patience for nonsense and in games where you have 10-15 enemies firing on you from every direction it is annoying or in fighting games where you have to press 5 buttons simultaneously while press up,down and sideways in a semi-circle just to get your fighter to do a move it's frustrating because they make it harder than it needs to be. There is a razor thin line between enjoyable game and frustrating nightmare.

I like Capcom too but I agree they have just been getting a bit ridiculous so I just move on to other games like Oblivion, or Bioshock etc...

I've beat some tough games myself. I've run Castlevania 1 through both the easy and difficult castles back to back on a single continue. I've beaten Raiden DX's Mission Alpha on a single continue, no bump that...on a single life. Two or three guys watched in awe through the whole thing. Frankly, sometimes I think bullet hell SHMUPS are just the bomb, and then I get hold of something from irem (Moon Patrol and R-Type, I am staring disdainfully at the both of you...)

I've beaten Pitfall II with a perfect score.

I'd say that today I'm actually a better gamer. My scores are higher and I last longer. It's about mindset and patience. I'm never going to have the steady hands and fast reflexes again, but my mind is far more into said games.

Final fantasy...whoo..that started to get old when my characters were taking 67749 points of damage per hit. Wait a sec, why not just drop that to 677 and divide the character's HP by 100? And the catcher chocobo game? That alone is why I do not play FFX anymore. That is one of the reasons I think it's one of the worst FF games I have played. And who's gonna dodge lightning 200 times? See the paragraph above.

Want a hard Castlevania? Pick up DXC and play it in the normal mode. It will show you who your daddy is. It's not as hard as Crisis Core, but it's still not going to be something you beat in a single evening. See when I beat DXC, I was like "Wow, that was a good accomplishment" whereas when I beat Crisis Core, I was like "Now that that is over, I'm never playing it again!"

I think I'm on the opposite end of the scale here :evil: Better get your mushy veggies to throw. :D

See, I LIKE Capcom for exactly the reason mentioned. They make games that take skill and talent. I am soooooo sick of all the super easy, lead-you-by-a-leash games that hold your hand through the entire experience. almost everything is like that now, especially since the Wii and the 'casual gamer' thing has taken off. I traded in Prototype for just that reason. When you can play through half the game without dying.... meh. I *like* getting my ass kicked by a game. It makes me respect it, come back for more, and ultimately master it.

For example, I defy to to show me a tougher Capcom game than Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP. That game makes almost anything else released over here look like kiddie stuff. It kicked my ass all through June. Now, seeing as I've been playing it exclusively all summer, I completely OWN that game. Seriously. It was one long, hard road, but man, was it ever worth it. Monster Hunter has become my favorite modern franchise. Absolutely great stuff. It demands a LOT of skill and reflexes, as well as planning and time. If you don't learn that, then you will be squashed lik

e a bug. I love that :cool:

As to the age thing.... Nah. I still got it. I play better than the 18 year old I mentor, and I can beat his kid brother who is a legit 42 ranked Halo 3 guy on a good day.

Hell, when you grow up playing stuff like Wizardry (screw up and loose your entire party FOREVER), Defender, and Robotron....

I like my games tough, mean, and rewarding.

Ok. You can throw vegetables now :lol:

Heck, if I don't keel over first, I plan to be doing the same when hooked up to oxygen in the rest home :lol:

Capcom is a bitch sometimes, the only games I play from them are the Resident Evil games and Street Fighter and even those have fallen into a decline in my opinion. RE5 is crap and SF4 is a very good balanced fighter with a severe problem of locked characters and Ryu clones.

Konami is a bit better now but in the early days they managed to make a game with great controls and still mad difficult, whereas Capcom usually limits the control scheme to make the game harder. I think most of their bullshit developers went to Treasure anyway.

I think this new trend of "Insane", "Impossible", "God", "Nightmare" difficulties should end, a game is meant to be fun. Easy, Normal and Hard are enough thank you, you can extend the life of the game via other game modes, though it takes a bit more work so that's probably why they don't do it. I mean, Doom 3's Nightmare mode is a prime example of developer shittiness and lack of imagination.

Edited by AtticGamer

Capcom is a bitch sometimes, the only games I play from them are the Resident Evil games and Street Fighter and even those have fallen into a decline in my opinion. RE5 is crap and SF4 is a very good balanced fighter with a severe problem of locked characters and Ryu clones.

Konami is a bit better now but in the early days they managed to make a game with great controls and still mad difficult, whereas Capcom usually limits the control scheme to make the game harder. I think most of their bullshit developers went to Treasure anyway.

I think this new trend of "Insane", "Impossible", "God", "Nightmare" difficulties should end, a game is meant to be fun. Easy, Normal and Hard are enough thank you, you can extend the life of the game via other game modes, though it takes a bit more work so that's probably why they don't do it. I mean, Doom 3's Nightmare mode is a prime example of developer shittiness and lack of imagination.

i hate the "insane" difficulties too. i want a game where the enemies get smarter on harder difficulties, not rip you a new one by getting "cheap" ala filling halo with snipers on legendary mode. thats not challenging, its cheating.

I think I'm on the opposite end of the scale here :evil: Better get your mushy veggies to throw. :D

See, I LIKE Capcom for exactly the reason mentioned. They make games that take skill and talent. I am soooooo sick of all the super easy, lead-you-by-a-leash games that hold your hand through the entire experience. almost everything is like that now, especially since the Wii and the 'casual gamer' thing has taken off. I traded in Prototype for just that reason. When you can play through half the game without dying.... meh. I *like* getting my ass kicked by a game. It makes me respect it, come back for more, and ultimately master it.

For example, I defy to to show me a tougher Capcom game than Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP. That game makes almost anything else released over here look like kiddie stuff. It kicked my ass all through June. Now, seeing as I've been playing it exclusively all summer, I completely OWN that game. Seriously. It was one long, hard road, but man, was it ever worth it. Monster Hunter has become my favorite modern franchise. Absolutely great stuff. It demands a LOT of skill and reflexes, as well as planning and time. If you don't learn that, then you will be squashed lik

e a bug. I love that :cool:

As to the age thing.... Nah. I still got it. I play better than the 18 year old I mentor, and I can beat his kid brother who is a legit 42 ranked Halo 3 guy on a good day.

Hell, when you grow up playing stuff like Wizardry (screw up and loose your entire party FOREVER), Defender, and Robotron....

I like my games tough, mean, and rewarding.

Ok. You can throw vegetables now :lol:

Heck, if I don't keel over first, I plan to be doing the same when hooked up to oxygen in the rest home :lol:

My favorite games of all time are probably waaay harder than some Capcom games but for some reason certain action games can really piss you off and get you frustrated so there's a difference for me. Playing Megaman and dying at that lava jump, starting over and doing it repeatedly over and over again is different than losing your party in Wizardy. Sure you start over but its not a vicious repetitive death that annoys you like in an action game. I still love Capcom games and I dont go out of my way to play those classic hard games anymore unless its on emulation with save points! :P

My favorite hard games of all time:

Mega Man 2 (NES)

Contra III (SNES)

Super Ghouls n Ghosts (SNES)

Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox)

The Bards Tale (PC)

Ultima V (C64)

So, no "Perfect Dark" modes here, then, huh? Serious. Ten times the HP, ten times the firepower, and it's all pointed right at your character.

No "C'Mon!" difficulty from Bounty Bob Strikes Back. No "Godlike" in Unreal.

Those modes are for the gamer who has mastered the normal mode and wants the game to still challenge them as they enjoy it a second, third, or fiftieth time.