IGNORED

Boxed Atlantis II ended early?

holygrailvideogames.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlantis-Atlantis-II-Atari-2600-Game-CIB-RARE-RARE_W0QQitemZ160361588523

Which one of you clowns advised her on price? Homer? :lol:

Oh, Homer, Atlantis II < Video Life. :P

It would have been you,when you made the counter offer on the original side deal. ;)

Edited by pangasinan

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlantis-Atlantis-II-Atari-2600-Game-CIB-RARE-RARE_W0QQitemZ160361588523

Which one of you clowns advised her on price? Homer? :lol:

Oh, Homer, Atlantis II

It would have been you,when you tried to beat the original side deal. ;)

Nope, I never mentioned any kind of $$$ amount. :P

Sheesh.. .for $5k you would expect some clear pictures of the box and all the contents :roll:

Maybe the letters are inside the box. :ponder:

Nope, no docs at all ;)

I asked the seller if there were any docs and i havent got any answer yet.

Also asked if they can post some screenshots,to make sure if its atlantis 2...

They have posted some more pics but nothing to get excited about.

To ask for $5000 they really need to post some screenshots and pics of the inside of the cart.

Sheesh.. .for $5k you would expect some clear pictures of the box and all the contents :roll:

Maybe the letters are inside the box. :ponder:

Nope, no docs at all ;)

I asked the seller if there were any docs and i havent got any answer yet.

Also asked if they can post some screenshots,to make sure if its atlantis 2...

They have posted some more pics but nothing to get excited about.

To ask for $5000 they really need to post some screenshots and pics of the inside of the cart.

I doubt that you'll get a response. With all the bozo's on this forum sending the seller messages I'm sure she's ignoring anything other than serious offers. She has updated the description to state that there are no docs. I wonder whether there's a cart :twisted:

Ok! I have told her how much the thing is worth and she was very happy about it. She said to me that she will relist it again soon! The potential buyer contacted me and was really PISSED. You can believe me that I wouldn´t have informed the seller if I had known who the buyer is. But at this point I have had fears that a reseller made the deal of his life........

I think that I handled morally correct! Your opinions???

• Like 1

Ok! I have told her how much the thing is worth and she was very happy about it. She said to me that she will relist it again soon! The potential buyer contacted me and was really PISSED. You can believe me that I wouldn´t have informed the seller if I had known who the buyer is. But at this point I have had fears that a reseller made the deal of his life........

The "potential buyer" has nothing to be "pissed" about. They tried to scam someone and got caught out. end of story.

On second thoughts - telling her its worth $5k is immoral :D

Edited by Dino

The "potential buyer" has nothing to be "pissed" about. They tried to scam someone and got caught out. end of story.

Here's the way i am starting to look at things... and I know my viewpoints are not exactly shared, but it is my opinion.

I've struggled over this in the past, and I've worried about what others would say if I did make a side deal, and at other times I didn't care.

I've seen people here have multiple ebay accounts, I've seen people contact an ebayer to tell the person what the item is really worth after it has been sold so that they can still get a chance at the item. There are a lot of different viewpoints on this subject. But I think my official stand on ebay is the same as walking down the street to the local flea market or a garage sale. If I see something there that is valuable... is it my moral obligation to say to that person: "Hey, that game isn't worth $1 that you are selling it for. If you were to go on ebay, you could sell it for $80. Its a rarity so and so on AtariAge." I don't think so.

On that same token, I'm not going to tell that seller that I will pay them $80 just because they held the significance of owning an $80 cart. I'll pay what they want and smile when I walk away. Otherwise, that defeats the purpose of a 'getting a great deal' and no one would find anything in the wild worth anything at all. By some people's way of thinking on here, I SHOULD tell that owner that it is worth such and such and inform them of something they are not aware of. The person that found a boxed River Patrol last year at a flea market is in the wrong for not paying that person hundreds and hundreds of dollars by that way of thinking. Right? Again, I don't agree.

It is not my obligation as a collector to inform everyone out there that their Atari carts may or may not be worth a bit of money. It is my obligation to pay the price they are happy with, especially when I know I'm getting a great deal. If ol' Atlantis 2 seller on ebay was happy with a price of $100... what the hell does it really matter? Seller is happy, and buyer is happy. The only time it becomes a problem: when other collectors who want that game are jealous that the auction didn't end at the time it was supposed to. Fault ebay for that, not the seller, nor someone that made a side deal. Until ebay does something about people ending auctions early (which they won't) this will always be a problem.

But it bugs me to see the bickering over such items. Yes, I'd love to see what it would go for, and perhaps if it were a Lynx item that I really needed I'd be a bit more miffed about it. But, I don't think I'd go as far as contacting the seller to say "your item is worth this amount, you should reject the paypal payment... etc." At that point, what is done is done.

I compare ebay to flea markets and garage sales. Some will counter it as being an Auction site. It is. However, it is basically a glorified online marketplace/garage sale. That's all it is. I think people cross boundaries a bit when they lose out on great games like this. If it goes to a reseller that spot it first, that sucks. But if it goes to a collector... and he got a sweet deal, awesome. But contacting a seller is silly if you ask me. I've actually seen people on here do the exact same thing for Craigslist transactions as well. Seriously... is it really that bad?! If you miss a deal, you miss a deal. Do you run to the local food market and cry on Tuesday because you missed out on the midnight saving event because you watched a late night showing of Inglorious Basterds?

I think some people go about this completely wrong and they make the hobby a bit harder to get into after a certain point. There's an Air Raid out there sitting in some guy's house because of the Atari Age bickering. I understand everyone wants it, but let it go! If you really want it, give the guy a dollar amount you are comfortable paying without placing yourself in the poor house. Give him an offer of what it is worth to YOUR collection. If this Atlantis 2 games was worth $200 or so to someone's collection and the seller agreed that is was worth receiving $200 for it... that should be the end of it. When you get a surprise game in a lot, and you were not expecting it, according to some here it should be your moral obligation to send the seller an email and give them more money and thank them for such a great cart. That is just crazy my friends.

Like I said, this is my opinion. Sorry to offend if I did... but I know my viewpoint on things. Others make their point known, so I make mine known. :)

Still friends? :) If we are, I'll give you my paypal id so you can send me money. My friendship is worth a lot of cashola! LOL

Here's the way i am starting to look at things... and I know my viewpoints are not exactly shared, but it is my opinion.

I've struggled over this in the past, and I've worried about what others would say if I did make a side deal, and at other times I didn't care.

I've seen people here have multiple ebay accounts, I've seen people contact an ebayer to tell the person what the item is really worth after it has been sold so that they can still get a chance at the item. There are a lot of different viewpoints on this subject. But I think my official stand on ebay is the same as walking down the street to the local flea market or a garage sale. If I see something there that is valuable... is it my moral obligation to say to that person: "Hey, that game isn't worth $1 that you are selling it for. If you were to go on ebay, you could sell it for $80. Its a rarity so and so on AtariAge." I don't think so.

On that same token, I'm not going to tell that seller that I will pay them $80 just because they held the significance of owning an $80 cart. I'll pay what they want and smile when I walk away. Otherwise, that defeats the purpose of a 'getting a great deal' and no one would find anything in the wild worth anything at all. By some people's way of thinking on here, I SHOULD tell that owner that it is worth such and such and inform them of something they are not aware of. The person that found a boxed River Patrol last year at a flea market is in the wrong for not paying that person hundreds and hundreds of dollars by that way of thinking. Right? Again, I don't agree.

It is not my obligation as a collector to inform everyone out there that their Atari carts may or may not be worth a bit of money. It is my obligation to pay the price they are happy with, especially when I know I'm getting a great deal. If ol' Atlantis 2 seller on ebay was happy with a price of $100... what the hell does it really matter? Seller is happy, and buyer is happy. The only time it becomes a problem: when other collectors who want that game are jealous that the auction didn't end at the time it was supposed to. Fault ebay for that, not the seller, nor someone that made a side deal. Until ebay does something about people ending auctions early (which they won't) this will always be a problem.

But it bugs me to see the bickering over such items. Yes, I'd love to see what it would go for, and perhaps if it were a Lynx item that I really needed I'd be a bit more miffed about it. But, I don't think I'd go as far as contacting the seller to say "your item is worth this amount, you should reject the paypal payment... etc." At that point, what is done is done.

I compare ebay to flea markets and garage sales. Some will counter it as being an Auction site. It is. However, it is basically a glorified online marketplace/garage sale. That's all it is. I think people cross boundaries a bit when they lose out on great games like this. If it goes to a reseller that spot it first, that sucks. But if it goes to a collector... and he got a sweet deal, awesome. But contacting a seller is silly if you ask me. I've actually seen people on here do the exact same thing for Craigslist transactions as well. Seriously... is it really that bad?! If you miss a deal, you miss a deal. Do you run to the local food market and cry on Tuesday because you missed out on the midnight saving event because you watched a late night showing of Inglorious Basterds?

I think some people go about this completely wrong and they make the hobby a bit harder to get into after a certain point. There's an Air Raid out there sitting in some guy's house because of the Atari Age bickering. I understand everyone wants it, but let it go! If you really want it, give the guy a dollar amount you are comfortable paying without placing yourself in the poor house. Give him an offer of what it is worth to YOUR collection. If this Atlantis 2 games was worth $200 or so to someone's collection and the seller agreed that is was worth receiving $200 for it... that should be the end of it. When you get a surprise game in a lot, and you were not expecting it, according to some here it should be your moral obligation to send the seller an email and give them more money and thank them for such a great cart. That is just crazy my friends.

Like I said, this is my opinion. Sorry to offend if I did... but I know my viewpoint on things. Others make their point known, so I make mine known. :)

Still friends? :) If we are, I'll give you my paypal id so you can send me money. My friendship is worth a lot of cashola! LOL

Here is how I look at it. If you are a side dealer, you have no right to complain about someone screwing up the side deal. Is it low to screw up a sale once it is final? Well yes, but so is screwing up a PUBLIC AUCTION once it is made public. No your flea market analogy is wrong. If it was a flea market, what this would be akin to is a person with a certain item announces that it will be auctioned off at a certain time at their flea market spot, than some D-Bag going up to the seller and whispering into their ear when no one is looking, and coming away with the item before it is auctioned off at the flea market. I don't care where you freaking screw up an auction. A yard sale, Flea Market, wherever. If you are screwing up an auction, than you are screwing up an auction. So yeah it is like a yard sale or a flea market if there is an announced auction by the seller and someone underhandedly comes and screws up the auction. So is screwing up a final sale bad? Yeah, but it is just as bad as screwing up an auction, and I really don't care where you are when you do this. If you screw up an auction, you screw up an auction. Flea Market, Yard Sale, Auction House, Ebay, CTCW.

Edited by homerwannabee

I really don't have much sympathy for people who list items on eBay and don't do even cursory research as to how much something may be worth. If I had two copies of a game "Atlantis" and one of them had a typewritten "Atlantis II" label on it, I'd at least type in "Atari Atlantis II" into Google to see what comes up. And sure enough, the first several links reveal that it was a special contest version of Atlantis and is quite rare! You'd then spend considerably more time trying to assess its value!

So, if someone doesn't want to invest time to see what something's worth and they list it on eBay at a low price, more power to the people who do know what it's worth and can snag a bargain. If someone else comes along and tells the seller what it's worth and ruins a bargain, oh well, that's life and that's one of the risks in trying to do a side deal. This is no different than selling items at flea markets, garage sales, Craigslist, and so forth. Uninformed sellers lose money all the time by not knowing what they have.

..Al

The bickering will never end. If I was new to the hobby with all of this crap I would do something better with my money. I am almost 100% sure its like this in any collectible. I would rather it be like the old 90's when I was doing this people helped each other out and it was fun finding something I did not have and I did not give a crap how much it cost or how rare it was other than I did not have it.

Just for the record... I was not the one trying to get this. I didn't even know about it until this thread.

I think if more people simply looked at Auctions this way: All items are 'Make Offer'

Then perhaps people will feel less heartache about it all. To be honest, regardless if YOU believe it is wrong for someone to request a side deal... if the seller is happy, that is his perogative to do so. It doesn't matter what you believe. If seller is happy, seller is happy. It isn't anyones job to research (like Albert was saying) for the ebayer that is selling stuff. If you put a no reserve auction out there for something worth a few grand, and it only sells for $100, you were not informed. It doesn't make the person who got it a bad person.

I still think ebay is nothing but an online fleamarket until ebay fixes its flaws. I stand by that until ebay puts in rules to stop things like this (and I still believe they will not do anything about it).

If a reseller is bitching about not being able to get something on the cheap to sell at a huge profit, I don't care about that either. Their loss. Everyone has goals. To the reseller, their goal is to get a CIB Sears Atari 2600 Superman for $1, so he can resell for $100. To the collector, their goal is to get that boxed Atlantis 2 for their collection at a Pacman CIB price rather than the going rate of an Atlantis 2 CIB. That is the ultimate find. If someone was searching through the auctions on ebay and came across a newly listed item, made an offer before anyone else, why is that so wrong? Honestly? An auction is an auction so to speak. But, ebay is currupt. I think some people here just need to get over that fact and then do like many others have: find a different way to get the things you want.

Ebay is an online fleamarket/garage sale. the stupid thing about stuff like this auction is the lack of research the seller did. just because the seller sold it on the cheap, and someone made a transaction already, what I don't think is right is someone emailing the seller to say you screwed up and I would have given you twice the amount they gave you. Deal was already made. When I walk away from a garage sale, the seller doesn't come after me because someone was going to pay an extra dollar for that Prince CD I just bought. A deal is a deal. Blame ebay until they fix the problem. Blame a reseller if you want, but I don't. I blame myself for missing the auction and not making a side deal first. LOL

This is the EXACT reason I don't mention deals until AFTER I have them in hand. It isn't even good enough anymore that you exchange money. You have to make sure the package has been sent, otherwise someone on AtariAge that is upset will ruin your plans. That's why I kept my trap shut on my recent craigslist score where I got that Qubes and others. Otherwise, someone would have sent emails to the person and offered more money. I am a firm believer in that. Unfortunatly, that type of stuff is what hurts the hobby a little bit. Its the politics of side deals for Rarity 9 and 10 items. Sometimes they are comical, other times they turn into virtual fist fights because someone spotted it before the other one did.

Sometimes, I guess you just have to laugh to make sense of it all.

Edited by EricDeLee

The bickering will never end. If I was new to the hobby with all of this crap I would do something better with my money. I am almost 100% sure its like this in any collectible. I would rather it be like the old 90's when I was doing this people helped each other out and it was fun finding something I did not have and I did not give a crap how much it cost or how rare it was other than I did not have it.

I agree.

Do you realize how many PMs I shoot out to give some people a heads-up on certain carts if I run across them? If I already have the cart, I don't need it. But I do notice that people have want lists on these forums and I keep an eye out for some of them. I try to help out people, others try to help out me. Some things though... wow... I'm amazed at the politics involved.

But... it is probablly like that in the comic book collecting world, and many other things.

Nice auction, the box will still boost the value. I think the cart alone is around $800-$1000 and I see this auction going around $1500 maybe up to 2k. Yes the box is a price doubler. If it had the docs, I say 3k and perhaps more. The sticker and box are nice, but not perfect, you really don't see the box in any condition, so That's why I say $1500-$2000.

Not sure where you were in the 90's but there was plenty of bickering. Many would call it worse.

In fact some people today still bicker about things than happened in the 90's. Perhaps that is why it is worse today as we have the new bickering and the remanants of the old bickerings when in the past we just had the old bickering.

BTW I have several sealed cases of Atlantis IIs I'm waiting to dump on the market any day now.

Nice auction, the box will still boost the value. I think the cart alone is around $800-$1000 and I see this auction going around $1500 maybe up to 2k. Yes the box is a price doubler. If it had the docs, I say 3k and perhaps more. The sticker and box are nice, but not perfect, you really don't see the box in any condition, so That's why I say $1500-$2000.

For most boxes I'd say yes to that but in this case I think the paperwork is more important than the box. Its a retail box with a sticker.

I'd say it is worth 1200 to 1500 tops. Add 1000-1500 if the paperwork was there.

It's quite simple:

* Main Entry: 1auc·tion

* Pronunciation: \ˈȯk-shən\

* Function: noun

* Etymology: Latin auction-, auctio, from augēre to increase

* Date: 1595

1 : a sale of property to the highest bidder

Side deals are for sissies :evil:

Cheers,

Marco

Edited by Marco
  • Like 2

Not sure where you were in the 90's but there was plenty of bickering. Many would call it worse.

In fact some people today still bicker about things than happened in the 90's. Perhaps that is why it is worse today as we have the new bickering and the remanants of the old bickerings when in the past we just had the old bickering.

BTW I have several sealed cases of Atlantis IIs I'm waiting to dump on the market any day now.

I was not on the net. Just doing my own thing all over country and had a big collection then. That is very funny and true what you said!