IGNORED

where are my rpg's?

Reaperman

every week or so I buy yet another obscure ps2 rpg of the 15 million or so available for the system.

so ps3 comes out, and even years later it's only got a handful of RPG titles.

hell, there are about as many *new* rpg's being released on ps2 as are coming out on ps3.

so what gives?

yes I'm aware that games like fallout are brilliant, and there are a few other rpg titles in various shades of 'fair.'

but I haven't seen a single androgynous highschooler try to save the world on ps3 yet. I *know* the genre isn't dead because these games are coming out all the time on DS, PSP and PS2--so again, what the heck gives?

Dear Atlus:

please help me. I like games featuring androgynous boys, preferably of highschool age. Call me silly but I enjoy helping them out with their silly/complex social problems, teaching them how to repair giant robots and guiding them on quests to save the world from demons. But I own a ps3 now. To date, you have only released one game for the system--the puzzler Droplitz. Please rectify this problem as soon as possible by releasing an rpg where the characters have large eyes, colorful jumpsuits and confusing gender roles. Thanks.

-Reaperman

Edited by Reaperman

i think its just not a popular enough genre to warrant the astronomical development costs.

theres dragon age origins, demons souls, tales of vesperia (import) and ff13 (import) in the next few months. theres currently disgaea, cross edge and eternal sonata on ps3.

personally i'm glad to see a return to to "hardcore" fantasy archetypes.

Resonance of Fate comes out next year.

No. I'm not happy with the fate of RPGs this generation either. Unlike you, I see no redeeming qualities in games like Fallout 3.

It's not just the PS3. The RPG scene this whole generation is a pale shadow of what it should have been. At least it brought us Valkyria Chronicles (which sold horribly and flopped so bad that it has been driven to the slums of portables in a clearly desperate attempt to glean some profit from the franchise materials created).

But I try not to let myself worry about it. I have enough RPGs that even if I finished one every 2 months, I'd still be playing the top games in my queue 30 years from now.

A PS2 Sakura Wars installment comes out here in the US in two months. I wonder why it took so damn long, and only now after all the cross merchandising has disappearred.

It's the same with every system, you don't get the big RPGs until later on. They just take so much longer to make than other games.

PS3s been out 2 years and we're just beginning to see them appear which seems about right. Admittedly the PS2 got Final Fantasy X after just a year, but I would imagine that development time for a PS3 RPG is a good deal more than for the PS2 (and X wasn't that technically amazing anyway).

here ya go-

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is officially heading to the Playstation 3. The latest Famitsu issue reveals that the previously Xbox 360 exclusive game will be ported to the Playstation 3 as Star Ocean: The Last Hope International. It will be released in Japan on February 4, 2010.Although Square Enix hasn?t confirmed a North American release yet, a recent GameFly listing might have leaked their plans.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is officially heading to the Playstation 3. The latest Famitsu issue reveals that the previously Xbox 360 exclusive game will be ported to the Playstation 3 as Star Ocean: The Last Hope International. It will be released in Japan on February 4, 2010.Although Square Enix hasn?t confirmed a North American release yet, a recent GameFly listing might have leaked their plans.

hmm, well I guess it looks about right:

starocean4characters.jpg

I've had trouble getting enough excitement out of previous star oceans, but I'm more than willing to give them another shot. It seems odd having the ps3 get so many of its already sparce RPG selection second hand.

Edited by Reaperman

Well, This seems to be a topic that might need to be talked about...The PS3 came out with the ps2 backwards capability...gamers were happy playing the ps2 rpg's taht were still coming out.. Now of course you all know, Sony took that away....The ps2 sales of rpg's remains there to consumers, but I feel that the 360 took RPG's that were scheduled to be released as possible PS2 titles since they are of similiar format and the PS3 got hosed....Good luck with the RPG games on the PS3.

Mana Khemia 2 has no play value....Cross edge was a fighting frenzy to level your characters and that took away from the story...the character mix was good to see, but the graphics...hmmmm....so many more to talk about...

You know what I really am sick of? The same old formula.

Young 16 year old discovers his destiny, doesnt know girl partner loves him even though its obvious along with poor english translations.

Or some variant of the above.

Its so friggin' done to death.

If the story for some miracle is somewhat different you can still expect a 16 year old kid usually with a sword he shouldnt be able to lift and a hotty girl who usually is more ditzy than anything else.

Seriously though they really need to start doing new things at this point, although its almost like tradition to do that type of storyline now so it may be taboo to do something else in Japan. I dont know.

I'm mainly going off of whats on the DS cause thats the breeding ground of RPG's today. I've played a bunch of them and a lot are fun to play but I could completely care less about the storyline or the main character.

hmm, well I guess it looks about right:

starocean4characters.jpg

I've had trouble getting enough excitement out of previous star oceans, but I'm more than willing to give them another shot. It seems odd having the ps3 get so many of its already sparce RPG selection second hand.

i think square-enix realized they made a horrible mistake putting all their eggs in the 360 basket. no matter what games they toss at it, the japanese HATE xbox. can't turn a profit on a console that sells 1k a week.

second hand, yes. but both so4 and tales of vesperia are getting alot of extra content in the form of new playable characters and missions. so4 is set to have english dialogue so importers take note.

You know what I really am sick of? The same old formula.

Young 16 year old discovers his destiny, doesnt know girl partner loves him even though its obvious along with poor english translations.

Or some variant of the above.

Its so friggin' done to death.

If the story for some miracle is somewhat different you can still expect a 16 year old kid usually with a sword he shouldnt be able to lift and a hotty girl who usually is more ditzy than anything else.

Seriously though they really need to start doing new things at this point, although its almost like tradition to do that type of storyline now so it may be taboo to do something else in Japan. I dont know.

I'm mainly going off of whats on the DS cause thats the breeding ground of RPG's today. I've played a bunch of them and a lot are fun to play but I could completely care less about the storyline or the main character.

thats why i only play western made rpgs. i enjoy the rougher and darker fantasy provided by the dungeons and dragons/forgotten realms archetypes. thats why im excited about dragon age, its set to be the darkest and roughest rpg ever.

• 1 month later...