IGNORED

Need Instructions for Opening Power Supply

voiddweller

My 7800 power supply has a loose connection at the junction between the power wire and the AC voltage regulator.

When I wiggle the power chord, the power light on the 7800 flashes on and off. I would like to open the AC Adapter, fix the connection to the power wire, and put it back together.

I tried prying it with a flat-head screwdriver, but the casing started to crack.

Any suggestions on this procedure?

Thanks!

I don't think I've ever disassembled a 7800 power supply but I have taken apart 2600 and 5200 ones. On those you have to crack the glue on the sides that is holding it together. I ususally lay the power supply on it's side with the seam up and give it a few careful hits with a dead blow hammer. I've also heard of people using a vise to squeeze it until the glue pops. The case is never quite good as new afterwards though.

Good luck.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Thanks for the reply.

Since glue is holding it together, do you think that heating it up with a hair dryer would soften it enough to pry it apart?

Thanks!

I've never tried it but I doubt it would work. The glue used to hold the power supplies together is a harder more brittle glue. Similiar to Super Glue. I suppose you could try it though.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

The best way to open a Power Supply is to wrap it in a washcloth and gently bang it with a hammer all around the glue line .. and continue around again until the seams have broken all the way around. Never pry .. as that weakens the integrity of the plastic. If done gently and patiently, you can get a clean break along the glue seam .. and after performing your repair, you can reglue it well and it will hold up well.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

(I'm about to install my PS brick inside my 2600).