IGNORED

An Idea for this forum

STE'86

I was talking on the phone with PeteD last night and briefly we discussed the problems with fresh coders coming to the A8 who maybe experienced 8bit coders but not have any "hands on time" of the atari systems.

now apart from the fact that some of u are WAY too fast to start getting uptight with anyone who asks any questions which u see as getting "disrespectful" of your baby A8, what we agreed on was this:

that u guys need to start some kind of "repository" of info for tricks, tips and info for games programming on the A8.

now this does not mean copying huge swathes of books to web pages, as these books are generally very dry and tbh "technical information" books by approved sources generally dont mention the problems and downsides to what they talk about. they simply gloss over or ignore them.

what u really need are "how to's" provided by people who have actually done the stuff. a sort of "one stop games programming library". not just code necessarily but detailed theory and "backdoor" methods that atari didnt tell u about. also what u need is a "bugs and problems" list and where possible "workarounds" (i know some of u are in denial about such things but the rest of mankind know they do exist on all machines).

"it is not a bug its a feature" is NOT an acceptable answer to the poor bastards trying to write software.

thoughts?

Steve

Edited by STE'86

I suggested that the other day... there's one project a member was running - "Heavy Metal Atari" or something like that.

He was compiling all the beaut tricks around like APAC, other software driven modes, VScrol tricks etc.

All we'd need to do is revive that.

I've not coded much on the C-64 for years and was in the dark about most of the techniques above sprites in the border and DMA Delay, but I DL'd all the C= Hacking articles... it's prettywell enough for someone who knows 6502 but not the '64 to get into some advanced stuff, so all we need is to do similar for the Atari.

I suggested that the other day... there's one project a member was running - "Heavy Metal Atari" or something like that.

He was compiling all the beaut tricks around like APAC, other software driven modes, VScrol tricks etc.

I've not coded much on the C-64 for years and was in the dark about most of the techniques above sprites in the border and DMA Delay, but I DL'd all the C= Hacking articles... it's prettywell enough for someone who knows 6502 but not the '64 to get into some advanced stuff, so all we need is to do similar for the Atari.

I'd love to see something like this..

How about something like Codebase64 ?

Something that people can contribute to and improve upon fairly easily..

At the moment with my adventure into Atari land I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel and searching for information can be really tedious at times, and I'm loathe to spark up a thread here everytime I've got a question ;)

I downloaded the Ironman Atari (I think what Rybags is talking about) pdf. It's got some useful info in as far as some of the newer techniques go but really needs the "simple" stuff too. I know that's not the idea of that document but just some simple Init routines would be great for nooby A8 coders. I spent about 3 days a few weeks ago just making a screen, some PMG and some DLIs work how I wanted ;) And andym00 is right, you don't really want us C64 guys pestering you every 5 mins to ask really simple stuff :)

Maybe Atariage would host a wiki or something?

Pete

codebase64 was a good source for me when starting Berzerk port or Beyond Evil code transfer.

so actually we would need codebase800... ;)

I am not sure if polish coders do not have already a wiki for code? unfortunatly always in polish...

I would post stuff like this or is this too advanced already?

switch_off_os_rom sei ;stop interrups 
mva #0 ^4e ;stop all interrupts 
mva #$fe ^31 
mwa #nmi $fffa 
mwa #nmi $fffe 
mva #$c0 ^4e 
rts 
; NMI routine 
; ^4f==#$5f if VBLKI 
; ^4f==#$9f if DLI 
nmi bit ^4f 
bpl sys_vbl 
; DLI routine, e.g. 
; pha 
jmp (dliv) 
; pla 
; rti 

; VBL routine, e.g. 
sys_vbl 
pha 
txa:pha 
tya:pha 
dec 20 
lda $d300 ;prepare joystick 
and #$0f 
sta stick0 
jsr vbl 
pla:tay 
pla:tax 
pla rti 

codebase64 was a good source for me when starting Berzerk port or Beyond Evil code transfer.

so actually we would need codebase800... ;)

I am not sure if polish coders do not have already a wiki for code? unfortunatly always in polish...

[snip]

The wacky TQA syntax always takes me 5 times as long to decipher as normal assembler ;)

Though the above example is quite tame in comparison to some of the stuff I've seen you post :)

Edited by andym00

That's exactly the type of I thing I was looking for a few weeks ago when I first started. Although I'm not used to that syntax so maybe just plain 6502, not compiler specific stuff like mva etc. although it's easy enough to understand once you know what they do it's easier to read lda #<irq sta $fffe etc at least for me (old school you know hehe) Just something simple like that that has all the stuff u need to set a system running to do DLIs etc Also some quick memory info, like if you do or don't switch off the ROMs, where is available for putting stuff.

Also a list of equates for registers and for register settings (I think I've seen some of these on my searches for info) so like in your example where you're testing for what caused the interrupt, or enabling interrupts you can just do LDA #DLI|VBLANK STA NMIEN that type of thing. I always find that easier than working with "magic numbers" as we always used to call them, it also saves on having to explain what those lines do with a comment.

Pete

A bit of (hopefully) constructive criticism:

For sample code, please please please don't use stuff like "mva" or "pla:tay". Some of us don't use whatever assembler you're using that supports this non-standard syntax (MADS, is it?). I think sample code should be as generic as possible, to make it useful to as many people as possible...

Also, I'd say instead of "lda $d300", it makes the code easier to read if you define "PORTA = $d300" at the top, then "lda PORTA" in the code...

Actually, if there's going to be a code repository with lots of people contributing to it, it might not be a bad idea to have someone write up some coding style guidelines. Since the sample code is meant mostly for other humans to read and learn from, it'd help if all the code were written in the same style...

Just my 2 cents, feel free to ignore, of course. All of this is meant in a friendly way: I'm not trying to be rude or snarky, I just have some experience writing "teaching" code and I'm trying to help...

the QuickAss or now MADS "ingame" macros drive me nuts... I copied it directly from my source code library and it was written by Fox years ago (around 10 years to be honest)... ;)

Of course I have a standard ass format of that, too... ;)

it was just an example to get what you are looking for... ;)

A bit of (hopefully) constructive criticism:

For sample code, please please please don't use stuff like "mva" or "pla:tay". Some of us don't use whatever assembler you're using that supports this non-standard syntax (MADS, is it?). I think sample code should be as generic as possible, to make it useful to as many people as possible...

Also, I'd say instead of "lda $d300", it makes the code easier to read if you define "PORTA = $d300" at the top, then "lda PORTA" in the code...

Actually, if there's going to be a code repository with lots of people contributing to it, it might not be a bad idea to have someone write up some coding style guidelines. Since the sample code is meant mostly for other humans to read and learn from, it'd help if all the code were written in the same style...

Just my 2 cents, feel free to ignore, of course. All of this is meant in a friendly way: I'm not trying to be rude or snarky, I just have some experience writing "teaching" code and I'm trying to help...

yup, my intension, too... in my projects for 2 years now I do not use these macros like MVA etc anymore... only simpler macros... ;)

MADS archive does have many usefull examples but the issue there imho... most of the examples are high level MADS examples so you definitly need practise in MADS to understand that... no offence to XXL, Tebe and others as I find good that the examples are there but even for me hard to understand... ;)

MADS archive does have many usefull examples but the issue there imho... most of the examples are high level MADS examples so you definitly need practise in MADS to understand that... no offence to XXL, Tebe and others as I find good that the examples are there but even for me hard to understand... ;)

:) Yep, working with Tebe has been an education for me ... it sure takes time to get my head around the macros. I'm converted to MADS now, an easy transition for me using xasm previously.

I would tend to agree with the consensus here that the source code resource and technical docs should be clear and concise with standard syntax, macro free.

It seems the best coding/answer threads are those around a specific game - I think Heaven has gotten alot of good advice when asking specifically about certain aspects of a problem he had in a game (Gridrunner and Beyond Evil good examples).

Pete - I think your Fist topic also had some info in it.

I think those would be good places to start and then harvest the info into a tech guide.

I'd love to see something like this..

How about something like Codebase64 ?

Something that people can contribute to and improve upon fairly easily..

At the moment with my adventure into Atari land I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel and searching for information can be really tedious at times, and I'm loathe to spark up a thread here everytime I've got a question ;)

Either something like codebase or the csdb thing (since it discusses both coding and software based h/w tricks)

Edited by carmel_andrews

It seems the best coding/answer threads are those around a specific game - I think Heaven has gotten alot of good advice when asking specifically about certain aspects of a problem he had in a game (Gridrunner and Beyond Evil good examples).

Pete - I think your Fist topic also had some info in it.

I think those would be good places to start and then harvest the info into a tech guide.

Yeah, even the massive "argue till your legs drop off" thread has a lot of useful info in it. :) Shame it's such a slog to find it :(

Tiz a good idea to start looking through specific threads because it saves having to think of what info people might want if the questions have already been asked. eg José's question about PRIOR. It's well documented already but some examples with code and pictures might help some people get a better grasp of the different modes.

Pete

Once I'm done with finishing up writing the first novel in a trilogy I'm working on—look for it on the shelves 2nd quarter 2010—I possibly could give a go at mashing together a De Re 2.0 book.

However, until then: Quoth the server, "Four oh four."

Edited by dwhyte

Once I had a plan to build a homepage explaining most advanced pokey techniques for music and interesting instruments, and how to deal with the timers and polycounters etc. ...I still have it on my HD, and in the meantime I still didn't even half complete it. At that time I really had the feeling no one was interested anyway.

But, last time I'm thinking about making a PDF file (using LaTeX or others), with some nice pictures / graphs etc. and a detailed & decent explanation of real pokey features. My problem is, I've already got many plans and only time for a few.

I did 3 years of testing pokey sound features and I accurately wrote out all findings in a packet of ±100 pages (with just a pen). However, this is just non-structured stuff, and worst of all, it's in dutch, so (nearly) no one here can use it.

However, these notes I made may be a good source for making an official document. If time serves, I'd like to do it.

Well, you'll certainly find masses of the subjects have been discussed in depth over the years on AA but trawling through the forum to find them in the middle of a thread particularly the totally unrelated ones to the thread title which broke off into a discussion would take some conciderable time but for sure, the info is there to be found for somebody dedicated to go through it all.

Edited by Tezz