IGNORED

HSC 6 Contest 19: Trolls and Tribulations

JellE

Contest ends at 11:30 pm ET on Friday, September 25, 2009

Trolls and Tribulations

Trolls and Tribulations was released in the USA in 1984 by Creative Software

Edited by therealbountybob
removed html as no longer supported on forum

;) Ok folks first go (2nd go in ten years) 74,040 Maze 2 Level 4 :D How's this for a one time bonus offer (if the boss'll let me): If you beat me at this game I'll donate you a ten point bonus from my overall score, so if 3 people beat me I lose 30 points etc just to make things interesting :ponder: one proviso; you have to go for all the treasures even if this means some tricky manouvers.

I love this game, you get used to the movement and scrolling mimo! If your new to it, kill the Cretins at the start by pulling down to fire, recharge by pulling down on the moving floor bit. Practice your jumping around here (button to jump over, up to jump up a level then hold left or right to land) as it's safer here before going through the door to the maze part.

The instructions and the review on the Atarimania link above are very good, some tips on scoring a few more points to be found here too.

GAME ON :P

post-19705-125295005337_thumb.jpg

post-19705-125295006071_thumb.jpg

57,890. It's been awhile since I've played this one. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here, but the C64 version is much better, IMO. The controls are smoother and the background music is very nice.

For the record, I don't have a system preference overall. Some games I prefer on the Atari 8-bit...some others, C64. :)

post-9712-125322320117_thumb.png

57,890. It's been awhile since I've played this one. I'm sorry if I offend anyone here, but the C64 version is much better, IMO. The controls are smoother and the background music is very nice.

For the record, I don't have a system preference overall. Some games I prefer on the Atari 8-bit...some others, C64. :)

post-9712-125322320117_thumb.png

Yes, Atari version is poorly programmed. It doesn't use any ATARI hw specific features, no PMG's, no HW scrolling.. it simply uses ANTIC mode E (bitmap mode) and redraws whole playfield every "frame" therefore the ugly scrolling etc. From the manual on atarimania.com you see it was released for C64, Atari and Apple II. Looks like they did C64 version and then quick port for Apple and ATARI and both platforms using the same code :) But anyway nice game thanks to HSC I played it and it's good. I would never play it on my own because of the first impression.

Yes, Atari version is poorly programmed. It doesn't use any ATARI hw specific features, no PMG's, no HW scrolling.. it simply uses ANTIC mode E (bitmap mode) and redraws whole playfield every "frame" therefore the ugly scrolling etc. From the manual on atarimania.com you see it was released for C64, Atari and Apple II. Looks like they did C64 version and then quick port for Apple and ATARI and both platforms using the same code :) But anyway nice game thanks to HSC I played it and it's good. I would never play it on my own because of the first impression.

Dear Santa, I really like this game but if someone wanted a project :D I wonder what the history was, as searching Atarimania this is the only game 'Creative Software' released for the Atari. Maybe they were testing the market with a conversion and it didn't do well due to piracy :?: Does anyone know if there a batch of other C64 titles from them that we missed out on :?: Looks like I've got my work cut out saving my points, better schedule some serious Atari time :lust:

Slight Improvement 112,950 (Lv 3 Maze 2) :)

re comparison to C64 game I guess this suffered, like many other games, where they crammed the game into 48K, on the atarimania instructions the author said something like 'didn't have room to make the high-score table saveable'... :ponder:

post-19705-125346071516.jpg